Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think you have to be a dominant CB to go in the mid first.  It's a premium position typically.  And you got potentially a bunch stacked up pretty close to each other IMO where I can see if one goes other teams grab theirs early.  Ditto LT in this draft.  i can see the 10-20 range be the sweet spot for both -- more so LT and than CB.  The run on CB could be more late first but typically the CBs go faster than the mock draft types predict.    The other sneaky postions IMO in this draft might be DL  and edge rusher.  I can see a bunch going in that range. 

Makes sense. CB is always the hardest position to predict because their effectiveness is entirely predicated on scheme.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Loved Devonta for 2 seasons now.  He is undersized weight wise and not crazy fast but he just gets open all the time, has great hands and is super clutch.

A slower Marvin Harrison or a lighter Isaac Bruce, take your comparison. Dude is a stud, I have a feeling he will be the 2nd best receiver from this WR class. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

I am tempting to turn to the Clemson/Pitt game to see why some are hyped about Pickett but right now watching Alabama. I like Mac Jones over Trask but I have a hard time falling for him too.

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

A slower Marvin Harrison or a lighter Isaac Bruce, take your comparison. Dude is a stud, I have a feeling he will be the 2nd best receiver from this WR class. 

He could be.  Even with freakish talented receivers around him in recent years, he IMO was still their go to receiver. Their most consistent receiver with the best hands.

I think his 40 time might effect his draft status a little. Some suspect he is a 4.5 guy some think he is faster than that.   At his size I think his speed will factor how high he goes.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He could be.  Even with freakish talented receivers around him in recent years, he IMO was still their go to receiver. Their most consistent receiver with the best hands.

I think his 40 time might effect his draft status a little. Some suspect he is a 4.5 guy some think he is faster than that.   At his size I think his speed will factor how high he goes.

He's extremely smooth (the part of his game that reminds me of Marvin), you can just see it in his route running and stride. I think he'll time faster than 4.5 too, he has a long stride that makes him not look like he's running fast, but he's constantly running past DBs. I'd say he's about 4.45-4.48 based on what I've watched. I'd be interested in him but I don't think we'll wind up drafting late enough for him, meaning we'll have to trade up and I also think this WR FA class is absolutely worth dipping into. 

12 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Any thoughts on Chazz Surratt, ILB, NC? 

A great defense always seems to have a MLB that is essentially the QB of the defense, but this guy WAS a QB for NC and had a breakout year in 2019 at ILB. 

I've never heard of a prospect who was a LB and a QB? That's sounds like a WW2 era prospect back in the day who worked a 9-5 selling insurance during his football career and HAD to know more than 1 position to play in the NFL.. I say get this dude but draft another natural lb in case it doesn't work out. Hell we need at least 2 anyway...

17 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Any thoughts on Chazz Surratt, ILB, NC? 

A great defense always seems to have a MLB that is essentially the QB of the defense, but this guy WAS a QB for NC and had a breakout year in 2019 at ILB. 

I posted a long article about him a couple of days ago along with a few comments.  I've liked what I've seen from a small sample.

Ex-QB who understands offenses and can diagnose well.  Has improved as a tackler.  Good blitzer -- can rush the passer.  I got to dive deeper but i am intrigued

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Kyle Pitts in 6 games: 

29 Receptions

513 yards

11 TDs

Holy crap. This guy is like the Randy Moss of TEs. I'm normally super against TE's in the 1st but I can't remember liking a TE prospect this much either. 

I was thinking about him. I think we need to add a weapon to get Terry more 1on1 or at least take some pressure of him. I think a TE is probally the most useful option because you can line then up on the same side and force safety coverage to choose. 

Pitts has the body to at least become a decent blocker. So he would be a really interesting option. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Loved Devonta for 2 seasons now.  He is undersized weight wise and not crazy fast but he just gets open all the time, has great hands and is super clutch.

Wirey strong and he covers a lot of ground with his stride, plus he can change direction in higher gears. Those deficiencies imo will effect where he’s drafted more so than they’ll effect his ability to get open in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Wirey strong and he covers a lot of ground with his stride, plus he can change direction in higher gears. Those deficiencies imo will effect where he’s drafted more so than they’ll effect his ability to get open in the NFL. 

I do worry that he’ll have a Desean Jackson career that fades fast with injuries.

Also, why the hell didn’t we move up to draft Chinn again?

47 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I do worry that he’ll have a Desean Jackson career that fades fast with injuries.

Also, why the hell didn’t we move up to draft Chinn again?

I don’t think they’re built exactly the same. DJax was stronger than he looked but he always just looked like a sprinter in pads. Smith looks a little more muscular and unless I’m mistaken has been relatively durable. 

Jets

Trevor Lawrence

QB, Clemson

This is the biggest no brainer in the entire draft. The Jets are a complete train wreck and will look to blow this thing up and start fresh. Enter Trevor Lawrence, who is about as talented of a quarterback prospect as we have ever seen. While there are still plenty of holes on this roster, adding Lawrence will be a good first step in making this team competitive in the years to come. 

Jaguars

Justin Fields

QB, Ohio State

This is the second-biggest no brainer in the draft. In most years Justin Fields would go No. 1 overall and be considered a slam dunk pick. It just so happens that there are two unreal talents at the position this year and for that, the Jacksonville Jaguars should be thanking their lucky stars. Jacksonville has been looking for a franchise quarterback for what seems like an eternity, and Fields will finally give them one. 

Bengals

Penei Sewell

OT, Oregon

These next couple spots could be ideal trade down candidates as teams look to move up for quarterbacks. However, I’ll stick to no trades for this exercise, so in this scenario the Bengals will run this card in. Addressing the offensive line is far and away the Bengals’ biggest priority this offseason. The unit allowed Joe Burrow to get hit far too often which resulted in Burrow suffering a season-ending knee injury. Adding Penei Sewell, who is one of the most talented tackles to come in the draft in years, will give the Bengals a much-needed boost upfront. 

Cowboys

Patrick Surtain II

CB, Alabama

This is a tough spot for the Cowboys. Ideally, they would move down if Sewell doesn’t fall to them and pick up some more picks, but as I mentioned there will be no trades in this mock. I’ll elect to draft the best corner available in Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II. The Cowboys have struggled defending the pass all season and adding a player as talented as Surtain will certainly help. 

Chargers

Caleb Farley

CB, Virginia Tech

While the Chargers desperately need help along their offensive line, no offensive line prospect is worth a top-five selection outside of Sewell. I considered going Ja’Marr Chase here and giving Justin Herbert another weapon on the outside, but I instead went with Virginia Tech’s cover man Caleb Farley. Farley has the length and athletic ability that teams covet in their corners and can step in right away and improve a defense that has struggled in 2020. 

Panthers

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

Teddy Bridgewater has played well this season, and he is definitely not the biggest issue in Carolina. That being said, Carolina shouldn’t plan on picking in the top 10 anymore after 2021, so now is the time to secure a franchise quarterback for the future. No player has improved their stock more this year than BYU’s Zach Wilson. Wilson is an intriguing talent with all of the physical traits you want in a top quarterback prospect. His accuracy, instincts, and playmaking ability would be a great fit for head coach Matt Rhule as he looks to set this organization up for success for years to come. 

Eagles

Micah Parsons

LB, Penn State

The Eagles are a mess. Their quarterback has seemingly forgotten how to play football, their receivers can’t create separation, the offensive line can’t stay healthy, and their defense can’t stop a nosebleed. This is one of those times where just taking the best player available makes sense since there are so many issues on this roster, and it just so happens that the best player available comes at a huge position of need. Micah Parsons is a rare prospect with outstanding size, athletic ability, and instincts. He will be the face of this Eagles defense as they look to right the ship in 2021. 

Washington

Trey Lance

QB, North Dakota State

The Washington Football Team is a fun team to watch. They play extremely sound defense and have some nice young players on offense that can be building blocks for the future. The team is in desperate need of a franchise quarterback, however, as the team waves the white flag on 2019 first-round pick Dwayne Haskins. Trey Lance is a kid who has boatloads of potential and would be ideal in this system. Lance is a big, strong, athletic quarterback whose best football is ahead of him. A trio of Lance, Terry McLaurin, and Antonio Gibson should give Washington fans reason for a lot of excitement. 

Lions

Ja'Marr Chase

WR, LSU

There will be a new general manager and head coach making this selection for the Lions as the team decided to clean house after the team’s Thanksgiving loss to the Texans. Whoever is in charge of running this team will have a lot of work to do as Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia are leaving this roster full of holes. I elected to go with the best player available here with LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase. Chase is an ultra-competitive receiver with outstanding hands and body control. He would be a great foundational piece for the Lions to build around moving forward.