Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Have to admit to being a big Jon Allen fan. Think his impact goes under the radar a bit. I thinks he’s got that strong leader mentality in the locker room too. 

The leadership helps but Chase is establishing himself as the vocal leader of the unit

• Like 2

There's a lot more green (60-80 score) players than what we had in 2019 that's for sure. Bostic definitely doesn't pass the eye test, I can almost guarantee Rivera will upgrade that position this offseason. Other than that, Logan Thomas and Apke will need to be upgraded (If you're pushing a 60 but you're young that's okay in my eyes). Thomas is solid but he's a #2 TE type and not a good enough blocker, although it is nice to see him enjoying his best season so far. It dawned on me after Apke dropped that interception that he doesn't have it mentally to start in the NFL. Whether it's ****ting his pants when a deep ball is thrown in his direction, taking bad angles, or dropping easy interceptions, he's overthinking everything out there and it's obvious. Just shows that you can test fast and be athletic as hell, but if your brain can't kick it into gear and react, you won't make it in this league. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

To add onto @Skinsinparadise's PFF score picture, Tim Settle is currently the second highest graded player on the team coming in at 82.3. I think we need to sign him to a contract extension pronto otherwise he'll start getting too expensive. I think he's better than Payne personally. Payne will be more expensive to extend (although we could get him for an extra year) and he's not even the better player. Not saying Payne isn't good at what he does, because he is, but Settle also stuffs the run and is better at generating pressure. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

I just watched two games of Wyatt Davis.  I see some draft geeks describe him as a mauler.  In my view, maybe as a pass blocker he is feisty and locks on well to the defender but as a run blocker he seems on and off as for fitting the description of a mauler.  I know what they mean in that he's a big dude with girth and plays feisty so he would fit that mold from that vantage point.   But he doesn't hit me as a Q. Nelson or even Scherff level run blocker especially at the 2nd level.  

My overall take is he's good but he doesn't warrant the mid first round attention he's getting.  Strikes me as an early 2nd rounder type.  Good player but if I am shopping in the early to mid first for a guard i want a dude who I think will be great.  I think Davis is borderline bust proof and he will be good but I don't see him as a great player.   I could only find 2019 games so maybe he took it up a notch this season?

Pros

Strong hands

mirrors well, locks on to his defender

Really strong pass blocker

Feisiy player who plays with a mean streak

Cons

Doesn't look that agile

He's ok hitting the 2nd level but he's not a Scherff type on that front, a bit clunky looking

Decent balance but not perfect, lost leverage on some plays and fell down

Plays a bit upright

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

NIck Bolton, MLB, I could only find one game so watched that and then watched highlight films.  I like him.   But I have to find another game or two to land on a concrete opinion.  My initial take:

Pros

Looks fast and rangy

Decent blitzer

Plays with energy -- could see the defense feeds off of him

From what I read is a leader type with good intangibles

Tackle machine

Cons

Not tall and doesn't have long arms

Overshoots plays

Has some stiffness/tight hips to him

Struck me better agiainst the run (moving forward) than the pass

"Since he's been here, he's been nothing but a sponge. He's been trying to get better," Rountree said of Bolton, his fellow Tiger captain, with offensive lineman Case Cook rounding out the group. "He literally does everything possible to get better as far as watching film. ... He's grown every year that I've been here.

"So I would say he's probably one of the best linebackers I've played against because he's so disciplined on wanting to be great by watching extra film. He actually got his whole fall camp practices graded. Every practice.

"He's different."

Missouri head coach Eli Drinkwitz has consistently sung the praises of both Bolton and Rountree throughout his first year leading Missouri. 

Reaction from SEC coaches confirms just how important the pair of Tigers stars are.

Missouri linebacker Nick Bolton (32) celebrates during a game against South Carolina on Saturday night at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.

"It makes the makes all the difference. Those two guys hold this team together," Drinkwitz said of Bolton and Rountree. "They make sure we play hard. They make sure we practice hard and they have the respect of every coach I talk to in this conference. Every time I shake somebody's hands at midfield, they all want to know if those two guys have COVID, because if they're playing, they know they're in for a dog fight all day. So really proud of both of them."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NIck Bolton, MLB, I could only find one game so watched that and then watched highlight films.  I like him.   Bit I have to find another game or two to land on a concrete opinion.  My initial take:

Pros

Looks fast and rangy

Decent blitzer

Plays with energy -- could see the defense feeds off of him

From what I read is a leader type with good intangibles

Tackle machine

Cons

Not tall and doesn't have long arms

Overshoots plays

Has some stiffness/tight hips to him

Struck me better agiainst the run (moving forward) than the pass

"Since he's been here, he's been nothing but a sponge. He's been trying to get better," Rountree said of Bolton, his fellow Tiger captain, with offensive lineman Case Cook rounding out the group. "He literally does everything possible to get better as far as watching film. ... He's grown every year that I've been here.

"So I would say he's probably one of the best linebackers I've played against because he's so disciplined on wanting to be great by watching extra film. He actually got his whole fall camp practices graded. Every practice.

"He's different."

Missouri head coach Eli Drinkwitz has consistently sung the praises of both Bolton and Rountree throughout his first year leading Missouri. 

Reaction from SEC coaches confirms just how important the pair of Tigers stars are.

Missouri linebacker Nick Bolton (32) celebrates during a game against South Carolina on Saturday night at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.

"It makes the makes all the difference. Those two guys hold this team together," Drinkwitz said of Bolton and Rountree. "They make sure we play hard. They make sure we practice hard and they have the respect of every coach I talk to in this conference. Every time I shake somebody's hands at midfield, they all want to know if those two guys have COVID, because if they're playing, they know they're in for a dog fight all day. So really proud of both of them."

He's fun to watch and I think he'll be a solid player in the NFL, but his COD and the fact that it takes him a touch too long to get on his horse when he's asked to turn and accelerate scare me with him. He'd be a nice two down SAM playing in Holcomb's spot and IMO he can be better, but I'd feel a lot better with a faster and quicker MIKE/WILL next to him and we don't have that. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just watched two games of Wyatt Davis.  I see some draft geeks describe him as a mauler.  In my view, maybe as a pass blocker he is feisty and locks on well to the defender but as a run blocker he seems on and off as for fitting the description of a mauler.  I know what they mean in that he's a big dude with girth and plays feisty so he would fit that mold from that vantage point.   But he doesn't hit me as a Q. Nelson or even Scherff level run blocker especially at the 2nd level.  

My overall take is he's good but he doesn't warrant the mid first round attention he's getting.  Strikes me as an early 2nd rounder type.  Good player but if I am shopping in the early to mid first for a guard i want a dude who I think will be great.  I think Davis is borderline bust proof and he will be good but I don't see him as a great player.   I could only find 2019 games so maybe he took it up a notch this season?

Pros

Strong hands

mirrors well, locks on to his defender

Really strong pass blocker

Feisiy player who plays with a mean streak

Cons

Doesn't look that agile

He's ok hitting the 2nd level but he's not a Scherff type on that front, a bit clunky looking

Decent balance but not perfect, lost leverage on some plays and fell down

Plays a bit upright

Im telling you... watch Alijah Vera-Tucker.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I think Allen's sort of lost his leadership quality. I think he's almost mentally gone it seems. This could have been HIS defense but it's not. 

You think maybe he's tired of losing and reading fans wanting more tankage?  He won't be the only one.

1 hour ago, GothSkinsFan said:

You think maybe he's tired of losing and reading fans wanting more tankage?  He won't be the only one.

I think he's probably oblivious to all that but I do think he's tired of losing and the amount of dysfunction the team has endured since he was drafted. 

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Im telling you... watch Alijah Vera-Tucker.

I will, I have posted about some about his hype, but haven't watched him yet, I got a long way to go watching prospects, just getting started

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Bolton, what round projections we got on him?

Must admit, I’m still seeing QB/OL as the 1-2 pick combination. Seems like top of the second will gift us a top quality OL prospect.

Seems like he's seen now as a 2nd rounder

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You have a thing for prospects with a hyphen lol. I just checked him out and very much liked what I saw! I had never heard of him before, thanks

It’s because, as an avid Spider-Man fan, I respect the hyphen.

Also, I’m still a little upset we didn’t get Davis-Gaither and that wound is still very fresh and you just poured salt in it.

• Haha 2

SIPS post of Bolton just jazzed me up!!!  I loved all of last years discussions especially regarding LB and TE. It will be the same this year. 

He would be an improvement of Bostic for sure but definitely would want to see more of him in coverage.

At ILB I do still really like Moses even  though yes, there is injury history for sure.

I also reviewed some of Shaz Surratt. He like Moses has the speed and smarts but also did not get to see him much in coverage even with lining up all over the place. He did lots of blitzing for which he looked good. Would like to see clips of both of these guys cover more and put on 5 more pounds

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

SIPS post of Bolton just jazzed me up!!!  I loved all of last years discussions especially regarding LB and TE. It will be the same this year. 

He would be an improvement of Bostic for sure but definitely would want to see more of him in coverage.

At ILB I do still really like Moses even  though yes, there is injury history for sure.

I also reviewed some of Shaz Surratt. He like Moses has the speed and smarts but also did not get to see him much in coverage even with lining up all over the place. He did lots of blitzing for which he looked good. Would like to see clips of both of these guys cover more and put on 5 more pounds

I like Shazz and Moses more than Bolton.

If we pick around 7 or 8 we may wind up with Parsons. That would be amazing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I like Shazz and Moses more than Bolton.

If we pick around 7 or 8 we may wind up with Parsons. That would be amazing. 

It would be but it's going to take some convincing to get me to them not going offense. I think they would need some FA home runs at OL, WR and decision made on QB before the draft.

I hope they do not try patching LB again.