Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

21 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I think they’re targeting Moehrig or Jevon Holland. IIRC they’ve had multiple zoom calls with Jevon and also like his KR/PR potential. 

This is what I'm expecting at 51. Moehrig or Holland.

44 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I think they’re targeting Moehrig or Jevon Holland. IIRC they’ve had multiple zoom calls with Jevon and also like his KR/PR potential. 

Not sure if Holland is a Rivera guy, didn't he opt out last year? I get the feeling we're the type of team that would ding opt-outs. 

41 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This pick is all about projection, projection, projection. Ron clearly saw him as clay that he can mold into a great player, he's easily going to start day 1 and be our best LB by far. 

He's not Kuechly, but he's as big and athletic as Kuechly was.  And his motor is almost as good. I liked Wu but I am in is bigger and more of a team ball player.

I like him.  In retrospect, I'm fine with a bit if a reach because of the leadership potential he provides.  That is one of the biggest reasons I absolutely didn't want Parsons.  Jamin is a future leader for the defense and that was one of the few things we were lacking on D and hadn't been able to find with bargain linebackers.

And I also like that we went premium with our LBer.  This was an unusually strong and traitsy LBer class, so it was nice to take advantage of it.  I felt we needed a premium player to actually make sure we got an upgrade, similar to our CB situation.  Unfortunately though it looks like we're going to end up on the wrong side of the CB run and we won't be getting a true upgrade for that position unless we get Samuel at 51.

50 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not Kuechly, but he's as big and athletic as Kuechly was.  And his motor is almost as good. I liked Wu but I am in is bigger and more of a team ball player.

I like him.  In retrospect, I'm fine with a bit if a reach because of the leadership potential he provides.  That is one of the biggest reasons I absolutely didn't want Parsons.  Jamin is a future leader for the defense and that was one of the few things we were lacking on D and hadn't been able to find with bargain linebackers.

And I also like that we went premium with our LBer.  This was an unusually strong and traitsy LBer class, so it was nice to take advantage of it.  I felt we needed a premium player to actually make sure we got an upgrade, similar to our CB situation.  Unfortunately though it looks like we're going to end up on the wrong side of the CB run and we won't be getting a true upgrade for that position unless we get Samuel at 51.

Ron said he isn't even close to reaching his ceiling, I love hearing coaches say things like that because it means they actually want to coach him up and get him there. We may be on the wrong side of a CB run, but there might be some good safeties available at 51. It's really hard to get a gauge on where this team feels like the holes are, I'm getting the feeling they think our OL is better than most think it is. I'm not seeing a lot of holes on the roster, just areas that could use an upgrade. 

On 3/31/2021 at 8:36 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Jamin Davis is a freak of nature, he's been compared to Darius Leonard. The dude also obviously lives in the gym, he's getting closer to Zaven Collins for me as a prospect. I can't wait to see what Zaven times at and his numbers, but in the meantime, here's a shirtless photo of Jamin Davis. 

407bbe1e5e1bf4e88d2e9a1ca7f78128.jpg

Welcome to our new starting MLB :ols:

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Najee going to be LeVeon 2.0!  That kid is fresh faced. Like a Disney character.

I think he will have a really hard time running behind that horrible O-line. Le'Veon ran behind a very good Steelers O-line which allowed him to really make the most out of his patient running style. Love the player but that spot is unfortunate for every RB. Roethlisberger throwing no further than 5 yards down the field, a stacked box and an O-line that moves absolutely no one. Let's see what the Steelers do in the next couple of rounds but I would have wished for him to go somewhere else.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Davis was definitely not my first choice, but MLB was. I've never really looked into Davis, but big, fast LBer in the middle has really been our biggest hole on defense for years. It's not a position that becomes available in FA. I can easily get excited about Jamin.

I just don’t know how they pass on qb this round. I don’t like any of the guys available, but you gotta secure a body for the future right? This team (defense) as constructed has a 3-4 year window. The draft class next year is basically Sam Howell, Spencer rattler, and someone to be named. Which will be top 5 picks, and will require a haul. FA class is ok- maybe 38 year old Rodgers finishes his career chasing a ring with an elite defense. Idk. Gotta find someone for 2022 and beyond but I don’t like any of these guys. We tried hard this off-season to address it and never really went all in, assuming we’d continue to have options. Well, musical chairs is ending. 

So many great players left. I like the top of round 2 better than the bottom third of round 1 for the most part.

Trevon Moehrig

Jevon Holland

Caden Sterns

Andre Cisco 

Dillon Radunz

Brady Christensen

Teven Jenkins 

Eichenberg

Samuel Cosmi 

Quinn Meinerz

Landon Dickerson

Amari Rodgers

Elijah Moore

Rondale Moore

D’Wayne Eskridge 

Pete Werner

Jabril Cox

Nick Bolton

Dylan Moses

JOK

Pat Freiermuth

Brevin Jordan

Javonte Williams

Christian Barmore

Levi Onwuzurike

Carlos Basham

Azeez Ojulari

Asante Samuel

Tyson Campbell

Elijah Molden

We’re going to get another good player. As long as we stay away from these QBs. If I’m forced to go QB it’s Mills, so I’d hate that pick the least of the group. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

So many great players left. I like the top of round 2 better than the bottom third of round 1 for the most part.

Your statement makes non sense.How could that be? And yet, I agree. Many of the bottom of the first round players are equals in talent to the top half of the second. Plus many of the late picks last night don't hit WFT's needs. We are entering the sweet spot of this draft

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis was definitely not my first choice, but MLB was. I've never really looked into Davis, but big, fast LBer in the middle has really been our biggest hole on defense for years. It's not a position that becomes available in FA. I can easily get excited about Jamin.

As I made the case on this thread weeks back and took some arrows for it here 😀, Jamin IMO was a better fit for this defense than Zaven.

Teams kills us with outside zone at times and RB screens.  We got beat on the edges in the flat.  IMO Jamin is the best LB in the box has for lateral speed.  Modern day sideline to sideline run stopper.  Better tackler IMO in open field than Zaven.  Jamin brings his guys down and doesn't miss tackles much.

He plays with fire on the field-oomph-energy that feeds into Chase's style among others on the D line. 

As I've said I think we couldn't lose with Zaven/Jamin/JOK in one variable which IMO they were all good at.  That it, rushing the passer. 

And for those here (not you) who said yawn who cares if our LBs can rush the passer -- apparently Del Rio does considering how often he uses his LBS to do it but without them getting home.  Jamin will get it home and get some sacks IMO -- not on the level on Devin White but he might not be a mile off either.  And likely much better at it than Holcolmb and Bostic was. 

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Your statement makes non sense.How could that be? And yet, I agree. Many of the bottom of the first round players are equals in talent to the top half of the second. Plus many of the late picks last night don't hit WFT's needs. We are entering the sweet spot of this draft

It happens every year.

The bottom half of round one is a bunch of guys that have tremendous potential but not necessarily the production/consistency as the guys in the second and sometimes even third round.

The second and third round are full of the less flashy (but still flashy) guys who can either be quality starters or tremendous role players. 

First round is more boom/bust. Second and third is more cruise control.

Obviously there’s still elements of boom/bust there. But this is where you find better current overall players coming off the board than the bottom portion of R1.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It happens every year.

The bottom half of round one is a bunch of guys that have tremendous potential but not necessarily the production/consistency as the guys in the second and sometimes even third round.

So, the one fear I had about the Davis pick was that he was a workout warrior. All potential and no production. I feel a bit better reading he had 100+ tackles this year and some picks. You and the others know way more than me, but I love the position and the physical traits. I also really like the attitude he seems to have in interviews. He seems like a worker and someone without a lot of ego. Hopefully, he is way more than a workout warrior. I do think we have the right staff to develop a linebacker.

For me 2nd round value.  And there are still plenty of corners left IMO but I expect and early run.  I haven't watched all of the corners but I really like Samuel and Melifonwu from what i watched.  Campbell too.

Safety

Moehrig

Cisco

Holland

Grant

LB

JOK

Werner

Bolton

CB

Asante Samuel

Tyson Campbell

Elijah Molden

Ifeatu Melifonwu

Aaron Robinson

I rule out Joseph for character reasons

Tackle

Cosmi

Eichenberg

Radunz

Guard

Meinerz

WR

Elijah Moore

Terace Marshall

Rondale Moore

RB

Jevonte Williams

TE

Jordan

Freiermuth

Tremble (granted I am higher on him than most

Round 1, No. 19 overall: Jamin Davis, ILB, Kentucky

My take: Davis only started one season, but made quite an impact at Kentucky and showed a lot of playmaking ability. Washington has a chance to build a special defense -- when the Carolina Panthers had their best seasons under coach Ron Rivera, they did so with a top defense. Davis also provides Washington speed, an attribute needed at the position. He can play inside and he can cover. What Washington wanted most at linebacker: an elite player who has versatility, and they got it in Davis. There's a risk because of his inexperience, but if he hits, then Washington could have much more than just a good front four.

Patient approach: Washington liked quarterback Justin Fields, and definitely knows it needs a young quarterback to build around, but it wasn't so enthralled that it wanted to move up in the first round. The team was content to see if he fell to No. 19. But the team has made it clear it wants to build its roster first before being aggressive for a quarterback. Washington saw how the Kansas City Chiefs built their team; coach Andy Reid was there five years and built a consistent winner before it traded up for Patrick Mahomes. And the San Francisco 49ers were aggressive this season, but has a roster that was good enough to reach the Super Bowl two years ago.

No offense? Washington still needs more to help improve an offense that ranked in the bottom seven in both points and yards in 2020, but when you look at its schedule this season, and the trend in the NFC East, it's understandable it went defense first. Here are the quarterbacks the team will face this season: Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Justin Herbert, Tom Brady, Dak Prescott (twice), Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers (maybe). And in the division, the Philadelphia Eagles drafted wide receiver DeVonta Smith while the Dallas Cowboys' Prescott is healthy, and the New York Giants added wide receiver Kenny Golladay in free agency and drafted wide receiver Kadarius Toney in the first round Thursday. Rivera knows a special defense will help any future young passer.

What's next: Washington has three picks on Day 2 -- the 51st, 74th and 82nd. They have not had a lot of luck with second-round picks lately; of their past five second-round choices, none are with the team. But this is a different regime. Washington will look at quarterbacks such as Stanford's Davis Mills and Florida's Kyle Trask. But it also wants to find a left tackle, and there are safeties the team likes here as well, such as Syracuse's Andre Cisco.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41341/washington-football-team-nfl-draft-picks-2021-analysis-for-every-selection

We are so screwed behind proportions. Like you don’t know how bleak our future is.

We’re going into a weak QB class next year, but  on top of that, the Eagles and Cowboys will have 5 firsts between the two, meaning more opportunities to block us from getting our QB of the future ASSUMING that there’s anyone worth trading up for in range. We also have reason to believe Ron won’t do a big trade up even next year

The honeymoon was fun while it lasted. Ron is just another Bruce Allen as a manager. The dark days are ahead and will last for a while.

Archived