Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I wonder if there is any chance we would double dip on linebacker if someone we like falls?

I know we met with Jabril Cox multiple times. Jamin and Cox would immediately shore up our LB-core.  Who are other Will/Sam backers that are fits?

Even with the Jamin pick I think we could still use another player, even if it's a developmental one.

8 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

SPECULATION FOLLOWS: I think the biggest reason they stood pat was that they were not as enamored with Justin Fields as some of the draft day reports would have led you to believe. I think they may have prefered Trey Lance and bowed out when he went third.

I agree with this. I think Lance was the guy we really wanted. When he went 3rd we may have made some courtesy calls to other teams just to see(maybe we get a real good deal to move up)but Fields was never really someone we were in love with.

8 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Not sure if Holland is a Rivera guy, didn't he opt out last year? I get the feeling we're the type of team that would ding opt-outs. 

Makes sense being Ron had cancer and soldiered thru.

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Ron said he isn't even close to reaching his ceiling, I love hearing coaches say things like that because it means they actually want to coach him up and get him there. We may be on the wrong side of a CB run, but there might be some good safeties available at 51. It's really hard to get a gauge on where this team feels like the holes are, I'm getting the feeling they think our OL is better than most think it is. I'm not seeing a lot of holes on the roster, just areas that could use an upgrade. 

On D, we needed someone to clean up...Boom. Thought Zaven would be there though. We also need a FS to cut out the big play. On offense we could use pass catchers. Smurfs 2.0 coming?? 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me 2nd round value.....

Safety

Moehrig

Cisco

Holland

Grant

LB

JOK

Werner

Bolton

CB

Asante Samuel

Tyson Campbell

Elijah Molden

Ifeatu Melifonwu

Aaron Robinson

I rule out Joseph for character reasons

Tackle

Cosmi

Eichenberg

Radunz

Guard

Meinerz

WR

Elijah Moore

Terace Marshall

Rondale Moore

RB

Jevonte Williams

TE

Jordan

Freiermuth

Tremble (granted I am higher on him than most

Don't like Cox or Jenkins or Wallace??

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I agree with this. I think Lance was the guy we really wanted. When he went 3rd we may have made some courtesy calls to other teams just to see(maybe we get a real good deal to move up)but Fields was never really someone we were in love with.

WH, do you think they draft a QB today?  If so, who and who do you like?  Me, Mills and I hope they can land him in the 2nd more so 3rd or Mond in the 3rd.  

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

#1 ranked D player by our team.

2 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

If you believe that, I also own a bridge in New York that's on the market.

I don’t know man - if you factor in what seems to be RR/Hurney’s philosophy of avoiding corners in the first, Zaven/JOK not fitting as well, and our dline being set with starters... it makes sense Davis was the #1 defensive player on their board.  

I’d certainly understand questioning their take on first round corners in general*, but I think Rivera was being honest.

*I’ve wondered if this was truly their take or more a matter of circumstances... RR’s statement lends more credence to this ‘theory’.

Edit:  forgot to mention Parsons and the character concerns, but that probably goes w/o saying

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I disagree. The smoke from the local guys is they liked Fields and I think they did. I think they considered moving up for him but didn’t want to pay what Chicago did. Chicago was more desperate for a QB then we are, because that front office and coaching staff is on the hot seat.

My speculation- Rivera came into the press conference pissed off. He wasn’t smiling, and he seemed irritated and combative from the jump, as if he had to justify the pick. Martin was quiet and looked stoic. 

My guess is there was a disagreement with Martin, who has no allegiance to Allen or Hieneke and sees them as backups,wanting to make the trade up to get Fields and Rivera wanting to stay put and take defense.

16 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I love this list except I don’t want any of those QBs. We have depth and developmental guys at QB and none of them are a clear upgrade.

Our QB situation is untenable.  We don’t have a good QB on the roster except for Fitz, and he’s a 38 year old journeyman.  We absolutely need to draft QB this year, or worst case scenario next year.  If you think we’re a contender based on what we currently have, then I don’t know what to tell you.  We are definitely getting a QB tonight, it just depends on if it happens in the 2nd round or 3rd.  But we cannot go into next season with the current crop of QB’s, and think that we can contend for a SB.  

We’re not going to be contenders until we seriously address our QB situation.  We need a franchise QB, in order for this team to take its next step into relevancy.  If we can’t get a QB this draft, then we need to do everything we can to get capital to make sure that we can draft a QB high in the 1st round next year. I’ll also say that if we have a chance at Aaron Rodgers, we should also pounce on that immediately. Any above average QB, and we’re a SB contender.  We have to make a move for QB while we have our window.

9 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Young bucks help an old guy out:

Are those really gang signs and if so who was the player flashing them?

No, from the context they look like they're poses young people make for pictures and on camera that often get assumed to be gang signs. 

6 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Our QB situation is untenable.  We don’t have a good QB on the roster except for Fitz, and he’s a 38 year old journeyman.  We absolutely need to draft QB this year, or worst case scenario next year.  If you think we’re a contender based on what we currently have, then I don’t know what to tell you.  We are definitely getting a QB tonight, it just depends on if it happens in the 2nd round or 3rd.  But we cannot go into next season with the current crop of QB’s, and think that we can contend for a SB.  

We’re not going to be contenders until we seriously address our QB situation.  We need a franchise QB, in order for this team to take its next step into relevancy.  If we can’t get a QB this draft, then we need to do everything we can to get capital to make sure that we can draft a QB high in the 1st round next year.

I agree with your general premise, which is why I wanted to trade up for Fields. 

But it seems like you think taking one of these JAG qbs in rounds 2-7 will somehow be a vast improvement over Fitz, Kyle Allen, or Taylor; I just fundamentally disagree.

Taking a QB to provide hope for the future means nothing if he’s not good.

Mills showed very little. He was a highly regarded prospect from HS and had significant injuries. He could possibly develop but he’s no better than Allen, just younger. And he’s the only one I sort of like.

We will probably have to trade up for a QB next year, resign Fitz, or trade for a veteran.

It sucks, but over drafting a developmental QB doesn’t change that.

11 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I disagree. The smoke from the local guys is they liked Fields and I think they did. I think they considered moving up for him but didn’t want to pay what Chicago did. Chicago was more desperate for a QB then we are, because that front office and coaching staff is on the hot seat.

My speculation- Rivera came into the press conference pissed off. He wasn’t smiling, and he seemed irritated and combative from the jump, as if he had to justify the pick. Martin was quiet and looked stoic. 

My guess is there was a disagreement with Martin, who has no allegiance to Allen or Hieneke and sees them as backups,wanting to make the trade up to get Fields and Rivera wanting to stay put and take defense.

If Rivera was annoyed then my take would be that when Fields dropped out of the top 10 they thought they were in with a shot with a trade up, but the Giants screwed them over.

2 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

If Rivera was annoyed then my take would be that when Fields dropped out of the top 10 they thought they were in with a shot with a trade up, but the Giants screwed them over.

Definitely possible. I wonder if we had a trade in principle with Minnesota? I don’t know what caused it, but Rivera was definitely pissed.

No. 16: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB/S, Notre Dame

Owusu-Koramoah is more of a safety playing linebacker, but he will find a comfortable landing spot in the second round.

No. 17: Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

Moehrig is a balanced safety capable of playing single high or coming downhill to make plays in the box.

No. 18: Azeez Ojulari, EDGE, Georgia

Ojulari is still coming into his own but his speed around the edge is a good starting point in his development.

No. 20: Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue

Moore is very undersized and has an injury history, but he is explosive with the ball in his hands. 

No. 23: Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

Jenkins is a physical lineman that should be taken early on Day 2. 

No. 24: Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State

It was surprising to see Samuel available at the conclusion of the first round but it should not be long before he hears his name called following a run on the cornerback position late in Round 1.

No. 26: Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama

Barmore flashed in the College Football Playoff, but he was not consistent during his final season in Tuscaloosa.

No. 28: Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington

Onwuzurike is a strong interior defender who can play the run and push the pocket.

No. 29: Joseph Ossai, EDGE, Texas

Ossai is a bit stiff but he has a knack for finding the football around the edge. He was more of a linebacker in 2019 and found a home at edge rusher in 2020.

No. 33: Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

Moore is a speedster that is dynamic with the football in his hands. He is primarily a slot receiver.

No. 36: Richie Grant, S, UCF

Grant is a rangy, ball-hawking safety that drew a lot of buzz late in the process. 

No. 38: Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU

Marshall was a part of a potent LSU offense last year that included Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Justin Jefferson, Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase. He is a big wide receiver. 

No. 39: Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia

Campbell is a fantastic man cover cornerback who does a great job of staying in-phase but he does not have the ball production to show for it.

No. 40: Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina

Williams, a former linebacker, is easily the best running back remaining on the board.

No. 42: Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State

Davis battled injuries in 2020 after a fantastic 2019 season. 

No. 44: Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse

Melifonwu has a lot of length and could be a target for a cornerback-needy team after a run at the position at the end of the first roudn.

No. 45: Daviyon Nixon, DT, Iowa

Nixon has been a bit inconsistent but he flashes the ability to shoot gaps and push the pocket.

No. 46: Carlos Basham Jr., EDGE, Wake Forest

Basham is an inconsistent edge rusher that shows flashes of promise.

No. 47: Kelvin Joseph, CB, Kentucky

Joseph could end up being the best cornerback in this draft class but he lacks experience.

No. 48: Aaron Robinson, CB, UCF

Robinson is a long, fluid prospect that has the versatility to play cornerback or nickelback.

No. 49: Jalen Mayfield, OT/OG, Michigan

Mayfield is a bit of a polarizing prospect that has the versatility to play either guard or tackle on the next level.

No. 51: Jackson Carman, OT/OG, Clemson

Carman has the versatility to play guard or tackle.

No. 52: D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Michigan

Speed, speed, speed. Eskridge was cross-trained as a cornerback but possesses explosive traits after the catch.

No. 53: Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma

Humphrey plays with great leverage and a strong base. He is a valuable interior offensive line prospect to be had on Day 2.

No. 54: Jevon Holland, S, Oregon

Holland is a great communicator with the ability to play slot cornerback or safety.

No. 55: Dillon Radunz, OT/G, North Dakota State

Radunz is a really athletic lineman that has been training with 49ers great Joe Staley. He has the versatility to play guard or tackle in the NFL.

pick-six.png
Pick Six

Get the day's big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.

I agree that CBS Sports can send me the "Pick Six" newsletter.

The next 25

No. 56: Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse
No. 58: Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas
No. 60: Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
No. 61: Davis Mills, QB, Stanford
No. 62: Hamsah Nasirildeen, S, Florida State
No. 64: Osa Odighizuwa, DT, UCLA
No. 65: Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama
No. 66: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
No. 67: Ronnie Perkins, EDGE, Oklahoma
No. 68: Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri
No. 69: Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State
No. 70: Alim McNeill, DT, N.C. State
No. 71: Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee
No. 72: Milton Williams, DT, Louisiana Tech
No. 73: Jamar Johnson, S, Indiana
No. 74: Ar'Darius Washington, S, TCU

NFL Draft 2021: Best available players entering Day 2 include Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Javonte Williams - CBSSports.com

Okay, hear me out. If Davis Mills is there at #74, I think I have talked myself into him.

He is raw. So sitting for a year behind Fitzpatrick would benefit him greatly. It would also give the team an additional in-house option to evaluate.

I am a proponent of building the team front to back, but I can also see the value in investing in QB until you get it right.

That was not my stance yesterday. I don't think I want to spend #51 on a QB. Ideally we could trade back from #51 and grab a pair of 3's, giving us a bit more flexibility to spend on a QB.

Archived