Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

If Rivera was annoyed then my take would be that when Fields dropped out of the top 10 they thought they were in with a shot with a trade up, but the Giants screwed them over.

Hmmm, seems plausible.

The key was getting Fields past the three NFC East teams who would be fools to hand us a viable qb.

Yeah, I could see a scenario where the Skins had a trade up in place and were crossing their fingers that he would be there after pick 12 and then—-  BOOM! the G-men drop a bomb on their parade.

I’d be pissed too!

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Okay, hear me out. If Davis Mills is there at #74, I think I have talked myself into him.

He is raw. So sitting for a year behind Fitzpatrick would benefit him greatly. It would also give the team an additional in-house option to evaluate.

I am a proponent of building the team front to back, but I can also see the value in investing in QB until you get it right.

That was not my stance yesterday. I don't think I want to spend #51 on a QB. Ideally we could trade back from #51 and grab a pair of 3's, giving us a bit more flexibility to spend on a QB.

I’m fine with Mills in the 3rd but I’ll be ****ing pissed if you give up the chance for a starting CB, WR, OT, FS, etc. for him. 2nd round picks left are great players.

43 minutes ago, -JB- said:

If Moehrig drops to our 2nd round pick we could have SB defense Tim And Eric Sunglasses GIF

As I said in another thread I would consider trading up for him as he won’t last til pick 51.

He theoretically gives us a defense without obvious weakness.

If Moehrer could become a day one free safety playmaker we could have the 21st century equivalent of the ‘85 Bears or ‘2001 Ravens defense. 

Offenses would fear us.

To dream...

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

As I said in another thread I would consider trading up for him as he won’t last til pick 51.

He theoretically gives us a defense without obvious weakness.

If Moehrer could become a day one free safety playmaker we could have the 21st century equivalent of the ‘85 Bears or ‘2001 Ravens defense. 

Offenses would fear us.

To dream...

If he falls to 39 (CAR), I think 39 and 113 for 51 and 82 is something I'd do.  Lose positioning 3rd to 4th, but don't lose a player.  Should be near fair I think.

11 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

If Rivera was annoyed then my take would be that when Fields dropped out of the top 10 they thought they were in with a shot with a trade up, but the Giants screwed them over.

Yeah, feels like 7-9 was too pricey, they weren’t going to trade within the division (and division probably wouldn’t want to give us a qb).  Chargers wouldn’t have moved off Slater, so I’d guess Fields falling to Minny was the WFT’s hope.  Bummer it didn’t work out, but that’s how the draft lined up.  I can understand those that think we should have sucked it up and traded the proverbial farm to get to the top 10, but our FO has shown a desire to be patient and only cautiously aggressive.  It’s a philosophical difference and I can see it both ways.  Hope it works out in the long run.  As much as I’d love to have the Bills trajectory, I’d also love to follow the Steeler/Ravens mold of building a consistently strong team, rather than the ups and (more often) downs we’ve been through the past couple/few decades.

The Junkies had Logan Paulsen on this morning and he said some interesting things about the TE's in this years draft.

1)  They really need to focus on a guy to replace Sprinkle like putting his hand in the dirt

2)  Thinks they should wait to draft one later rounds and focus on skill positions today

3)  Doesn't feel like any of the "talked about" TE's left are really good at hand in the dirt technique

4)  He really likes Reyes and obviously Logan and doesn't feel like any of the guys left are an upgrade

5)  Says the TE position is really thin this year

6)  Says Tremble is more of an H-back like the SF kid 

I guess we'll see how this plays out...

With considerable luck, we could walk away from the draft with something like the following: 19. Jamin Davis 51. Patrick Freiermuth 74. Dillon Radunz  82. Andre Cisco 124. Kyle Trask 163. Dayo Odeyingbo 246. Deommodore Lenoir 258. Thomas Fletcher

I would be happy.

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Okay, hear me out. If Davis Mills is there at #74, I think I have talked myself into him.

He is raw. So sitting for a year behind Fitzpatrick would benefit him greatly. It would also give the team an additional in-house option to evaluate.

I am a proponent of building the team front to back, but I can also see the value in investing in QB until you get it right.

That was not my stance yesterday. I don't think I want to spend #51 on a QB. Ideally we could trade back from #51 and grab a pair of 3's, giving us a bit more flexibility to spend on a QB.

Luxury or having two 3rd rounders.  Take the QB if you like him.

15 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

The Junkies had Logan Paulsen on this morning and he said some interesting things about the TE's in this years draft.

1)  They really need to focus on a guy to replace Sprinkle like putting his hand in the dirt

2)  Thinks they should wait to draft one later rounds and focus on skill positions today

3)  Doesn't feel like any of the "talked about" TE's left are really good at hand in the dirt technique

4)  He really likes Reyes and obviously Logan and doesn't feel like any of the guys left are an upgrade

5)  Says the TE position is really thin this year

6)  Says Tremble is more of an H-back like the SF kid 

I guess we'll see how this plays out...

But how many college offenses have their TE put their hand in the dirt? That type of TE doesn't exist anymore. 

4 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

We are so screwed behind proportions. Like you don’t know how bleak our future is.

We’re going into a weak QB class next year, but  on top of that, the Eagles and Cowboys will have 5 firsts between the two, meaning more opportunities to block us from getting our QB of the future ASSUMING that there’s anyone worth trading up for in range. We also have reason to believe Ron won’t do a big trade up even next year

The honeymoon was fun while it lasted. Ron is just another Bruce Allen as a manager. The dark days are ahead and will last for a while.

I think you overplayed your hand here. If you were trying to keep it a secret that you’re just trolling, this post gave it away.

On 3/25/2021 at 12:32 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So If we bring a veteran slot receiver in, our interest in this player may fit nicely in the mid rounds...

Iowa wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette can, for the right offense, be quite the steal in the 2021 NFL Draft. Smith-Marsette brings ample speed, return skills, and vertical receiving to the game, and his production at the University of Iowa isn’t necessarily the best indicator or how talented he actually is—especially given that his open targets were much too often left short or hung in the air long enough to draw defenders back into the play. Smith-Marsette brings a track background to the field and it shows. He’s a graceful runner with easy speed and is at his best when he’s charged with stacking defenders vertically. The Hawkeyes did manufacture some touches for Smith-Marsette courtesy of tunnel screens, double reverses, jet motions and touch passes. He was highly productive on a per-touch basis and, despite some of his limitations in functional strength and size, should find success in a vertical passing offense at the next level. It is worth noting that Smith-Marsette was arrested on Nov. 1, 2020 for speeding and operating a vehicle while intoxicated, plus saw his playing career come to an unceremonious end with a celebratory front flip on a touchdown that resulted in an ankle injury that shelved him for the rest of Iowa’s 2020 campaign. 

@Skinsinparadise can’t find the original link but I jumped on it around here.

I have a feeling New England is going to go hard after receivers today. A slot for sure and perhaps even a boundary guy. 

I’d look for them to target Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore and Amari Rodgers.

Outside I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tulane Wallace on their radar.

They want sure handed targets that can make plays for Mac Jones.

Also wouldn’t be surprised to see them keep an eye on post draft roster cuts and snag a biggish name at receiver.

I know they signed Agholor, but... it’s Agholor.

58 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Jones looks like the new meat in a prison movie that walks in and the inmates immediately start whistling and begin fighting each other over who will get him as their “bunk mate” the first night.

Sounds like you need to stop hanging out with Micah Parsons :806:

Are there any quarterbacks left who represent a clear upgrade in potential to our quarterback room or are we as a fan base just doing the whole "backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town" thing?

Sounds to me like the latter, heinicke and Allen seem like guys we have already decided what their potential is and everyone just wants that fresh lottery ticket in hopes they'll get the next Tom Brady or Russell Wilson when in reality it'll most likely be the next Paxton lynch or Colt Mccoy.

At this point I think the chance to upgrade the quarterback room has most likely passed us by so unless someone the coaches like falls down to where they're the best player available I see no reason not to roll with what we currently have and keep upgrading elsewhere with guys who have a higher chance of contributing. 

1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

If he falls to 39 (CAR), I think 39 and 113 for 51 and 82 is something I'd do.  Lose positioning 3rd to 4th, but don't lose a player.  Should be near fair I think.

Yeah, I was looking at this exact trade earlier this week, though in the context of trading up for a tackle (assuming there’d be a run on them from late 1st-early to mid 2nd.  Don’t want to trade up and outright lose a pick though - the talent likely available at positions of need (in the 2-4) looks really good ATM.

Worst case scenario for me would be giving up a pick (rather than a swap) and also drafting a qb - whether the qb comes via trade up (ugh) or with one of our 3rds.

As to qb specifically, I’d rather go after a late round flyer they can stash on the PS to replace Montez, assuming they see them as a potential upgrade to SM.  If they go after one earlier, using their second 3rd rounder (their ‘extra’ pick) would be my limit.

I think we can stand pat and take who falls.  We can land a good FS prospect (Grant/Cisco/Holland) and tackle competition for Lucas, solidify our linebacker or corner depth, or land an offensive weapon (Williams/Carter, one of the Moores/Rodgers/Marshall/Eskridge/etc.).  Wouldn’t object to trading up if we’re just swapping a 3rd for a 4th though.

I definitely want to see S and TE drafted today with CB or WR as the other pick. 

Moehrig at 51 would make this defense INSANE, if he's not there I would not mind moving down for another pick today

filling those holes would make going ALL IN for a QB next year much easier

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I was looking at this exact trade earlier this week, though in the context of trading up for a tackle (assuming there’d be a run on them from late 1st-early to mid 2nd.  Don’t want to trade up and outright lose a pick though - the talent likely available at positions of need (in the 2-4) looks really good ATM.

Worst case scenario for me would be giving up a pick (rather than a swap) and also drafting a qb - whether the qb comes via trade up (ugh) or with one of our 3rds.

As to qb specifically, I’d rather go after a late round flyer they can stash on the PS to replace Montez, assuming they see them as a potential upgrade to SM.  If they go after one earlier, using their second 3rd rounder (their ‘extra’ pick) would be my limit.

I think we can stand pat and take who falls.  We can land a good FS prospect (Grant/Cisco/Holland) and tackle competition for Lucas, solidify our linebacker or corner depth, or land an offensive weapon (Williams/Carter, one of the Moores/Marshall/Eskridge/etc.).  Wouldn’t object to trading up if we’re just swapping a 3rd for a 4th though.

Stand pat I think OT should look good at 51.  Davis and Moehrig to current D just excites me more.  I think our O will be better than last year, even if not a top O.  Our D was a ton of fun to watch and I'd love to see the next level.

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

There are so many more I’d be happy with, including J. Williams, Cosmi, B. Jordan, R. Moore, R. Grant, A. Cisco, Cox, Carman, Rodgers, Holland, Carter and many more.  I really hope they let the draft come to them...

There's enough talent left at positions we should address that a simple BPA at 51 seems great.  WR, OL, QB, TE, and S all seem likely based on how the draft has shaken out.  Don't care which as long as it's talent.

If it's Terrace Marshall at Z?  Cool.  Elijah Moore or Amari Rodgers at Slot?  Cool.  Marshall would fit greatest need, but if the team thinks the others are more talented, I'm ok with it.

Just don't want Edge, DT, or LB.  Holcomb still has untapped talent.  Collins is moving to hybrid LB role (supposedly), and our 1st is a LB.  Seems like we've got good options there for 2021.

I'm doubting CB talent I like is still available and good value at 51.  So just assuming it's not an option.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

My guess is we made calls to Carolina/Detroit/Denver at 7/8/9 but the asking price was too much. Probably something like 2 1s, 2 2s, etc. And the Giants weren't going to trade with us.

This. We inquired but the price was too high. I don't know if they like any of the remaining Qbs. I get the feeling, they are satisfied with the QB room for 21 and will address other positions and not draft a QB. They know they need that long term QB but feel they can get him, in the future.

If Packers cave in to Rodgers after June 2; would we be interested?  Would Rodgers be willing to come here? Think he prefers to live out west.

We could send Fitzmagic to GB, as part of any deal.

Wonder how the draft impacts the eventual trade market for Watson?

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

There's enough talent left at positions we should address that a simple BPA at 51 seems great.  WR, OL, QB, TE, and S all seem likely based on how the draft has shaken out.  Don't care which as long as it's talent.

I'm doubting CB talent I like is still available and good value at 51.  So just assuming it's not an option.

Think BPA could be IOL and therefore the trade for Scherff should happen.

BUT, the next biggest need is FS. 

Build the elite defense. The offense will get there.  

Archived