Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Question is who wants to take on a very good Guard who wants to be paid.  Obviously the Scherff team knows the cap goes up next year so they want big money before signing any new long term deal.  The highest paid guard in the league is a bit of a luxury for most teams.  If he is moved I think it will be for another player and/or mid round picks.

5 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Question is who wants to take on a very good Guard who wants to be paid.  Obviously the Scherff team knows the cap goes up next year so they want big money before signing any new long term deal.  The highest paid guard in the league is a bit of a luxury for most teams.  If he is moved I think it will be for another player and/or mid round picks.

I don't think any of the top 10 teams would, except maybe the Broncos. But the Chargers and Vikings picking 13 and 14 need OL help BAD and both are in a position to win next year.

1 minute ago, Idaho fan said:

I'd like to think we do better than what we got for T. Williams, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it be a trade for picks next year either.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think any of the top 10 teams would, except maybe the Broncos. But the Chargers and Vikings picking 13 and 14 need OL help BAD and both are in a position to win next year.

Both teams, more so MN, would have to do some cap work to get him and sign their draft class.

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Both teams, more so MN, would have to do some cap work to get him and sign their draft class.

Both the lions and panthers need OL help, their O-lines are atrocious. 

Let us also remember when Scherff came out he was considered the best tackle in the draft..and then was moved to guard. He could possibly be re-fitted back to tackle.

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I like it. Flowers being back is good for us. Seems like the compensation was largely us doing Miami a favor for taking cap money off their lap.

Not sure if it means anything for Scherff now or not. Could be Scherff + Flowers at guards and then Schweitzer + Flowers next year.

I’m sure they’ll try to move Scherff though. 

I like it too.  Wonder how easy it would be to move Scherff at his current cap number/salary.

It might have nothing to do with Scherff and more that they want to bolster the O line in general.  But I don't know.

9 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Let us also remember when Scherff came out he was considered the best tackle in the draft..and then was moved to guard. He could possibly be re-fitted back to tackle.

I think no chance that happens with Scherff.   Even then many saw him as a guard in the pre draft process.  Among other reasons, Jay recounted the story recently about how when they tried him at tackle you can see almost immediately in camp that it wasn't the right position for him.  He struggled. The intention at the time was to play him at right tackle but supposedly Moses started looking better and Scherff didn't look good at that spot. 

12 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

I would think any team trying to get Scherff has to be in win now mode because it’s clear he wants to hit the open market.  Can’t see it making sense for those 2 even though the need, like you say, is very real.

I wonder if Fitz was consulted on this as these are different coaches and he protected the qb in Miami.

I loved Flowers. Was bummed we lost him. But Schweitzer was this staff’s pick to come in and replace him last year and he played well. So I’m not sure it makes sense to pay Scherff ($18m), Flowers ($9m) and Schweitzer ($5m) AND Roullier ($9m) ... that’s $41m in 4 guys who can only play 3 spots. Not to mention last year’s 4th and 5th founders in Charles and Ismael who have also been discussed at G.

To me this means Charles is circled as our starting LT or RT OR we are going to move Scherff. The move on the surface of “upgrading at LG” doesn’t hold water since this staff let Flowers go and picked Schweitzer to replace him last off season!

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I loved Flowers. Was bummed we lost him. But Schweitzer was this staff’s pick to come in and replace him last year and he played well. So I’m not sure it makes sense to pay Scherff ($18m), Flowers ($9m) and Schweitzer ($5m) AND Roullier ($9m) ... that’s $41m in 4 guys who can only play 3 spots. Not to mention last year’s 4th and 5th founders in Charles and Ismael who have also been discussed at G.

To me this means Charles is circled as our starting LT or RT OR we are going to move Scherff. The move on the surface of “upgrading at LG” doesn’t hold water since this staff let Flowers go and picked Schweitzer to replace him last off season!

Sherff traded before draft in my opinion buddy. 

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

Sherff traded before draft in my opinion buddy. 

I could agree with this. I could see the team drafting a Guard in Round 3 or 4 ... and bringing Flowers in at LG to bolster the left side while possibly weakening the right side. Or letting SChweizer slide to RG to compete with a rookie .

Well I read awhile back that Schweitzer's natural position is RG so was hoping if we could trade Scherff that Charles could at worst start at LG and we have Corny/Draft pick to battle for LT.

Could be what is going to happen.  Save's a ton of cap space too getting rid of Scherff.  Hell we have a lott of room still we could offset some of his cap in a trade to get him out, perhaps?

If we trade Scherff (which seems like at least a 50/50 proposition), then we'll have Flowers, Roullier, and Schweitzer starting with Charles, Ismael, and Martin in reserve. Add a tackle early in the draft to join Moses and Lucas. If we keep Scherff, Martin is no longer with the WFT.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The problem for me is I think Etienne is clearly better than them, to say nothing of Harris. Etienne is a day one stud for us too.  He's the right personality for this locker room, he is an easy scheme fit, and he's a bigger, more impactful, and more dynamic talent than all three of them.  He's the potential 13+ AV guy of that group.  He also plays offense providing more delta value for our build since our offense is what sucks and our defense is already championship level.  And on top of that, he's a stud prospect at a position where the depth of the class sucks this year and next year's top end is weaker.  He's likely the best RB prospect in a three year window, depending on how much you like Jonathan Taylor, and I know no one here liked Taylor as much as I did last year.  I think Etienne is a little bit more dynamic than Taylor was while being just as accomplished.

And gaming out scenarios, I think we're a much better team with this scenario:

1 - Etienne, 2 - Samuel Jr, 7 - Buddy Johnson, 7 - Damar Hamlin

Than we are in any other configuration of the same four positions in those rounds where we eschew BPA in the first and pick Wu, Moehrig, or Newsome.  I think that scenario yields four potential starters and we could spend the rest of our draft chasing talent.

I was just listening to Portis, he was really high on Etienne and Harris but thought Harris complements Gibson better than Etienne.  Portis is no draft guru but he typically is pretty good when scouting RBs.  He was also high on Kylin Hill.  Hill is probably my biggest grower among the mid round type RBs for reasons I talked about on this thread over the weekend. 

He should be, really dynamic returner, too

17 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

If we trade Scherff (which seems like at least a 50/50 proposition), then we'll have Flowers, Roullier, and Schweitzer starting with Charles, Ismael, and Martin in reserve. Add a tackle early in the draft to join Moses and Lucas. If we keep Scherff, Martin is no longer with the WFT.

Wes Martin is terrible. I'd be shocked if he stays on unless he somehow dramatically improves. In all seriousness, I watched him one game last year and it was the worst performances I can recall from an OL. 

I wouldn't like it but not hate it in the 2nd.  Be ok with it in the third.  But I would hate it in the first and big time so

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/college-football/cfb/player-news/headlines/10108566?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that league "chatter" is swirling around Stanford QB Davis Mills as a potential first-round selection.

Mills (6'4/212) has been "massively rising up boards" according to Pauline, who hears that the New England Patriots could be the team to watch for a relatively early selection of the Stanford signal-caller. Just not at the No. 15 pick. Two scenarios to watch for with this one -- either New England could trade down in the first round and take Mills (trading down is very much motus operandi for the outfit) late on Day 1, or they could trade up from the second round with the same result. Chicago and Washington have also been linked to Mills, though Pauline does not believe either club would pony up a first-round selection for the quarterback.

Archived