Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Well said, and that’s my thing with Jay.  The only thing as important as coaching itself, is knowing who your best players are and putting them on the field.  He couldn’t do that.  He let his personal feelings get in the way.  The Adrian Peterson, Rob Kelley situation.  And the Haskins situation.

Ryan Gruden...

You could almost make an All-Gruden team of Pet Grudenettes

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 9:51 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

IIRC Gibson was a JUCO transfer.  That would explain why he doesn't have a ton of college snaps.  He also transferred to a school with a couple of NFL RBs in front of him on the depth chart in Darrell Henderson, Tony Pollard, and Patrick Taylor plus Gainwell is on track for the NFL.  Hard for a JUCO to crack the lineup at a school that has multiple guys with NFL ability who've been there since freshman.  That's why he probably had to get his snaps at receiver.

Where have I seen that before... ;)

On 4/28/2020 at 4:53 PM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

He was a JUCO transfer.

1st year at Memphis they had 2 1,000 yd rushers (Darrell Henderson had 1,900 and was the Rams 3rd rd pick) and ran way more than threw it...but he still didn't do much...don't know why.

Next year he had 71 touches. Their #1 WR had 76 touches. And again they ran more than they threw it. 

I think they just spread the ball around a lot.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 4:22 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

McKissic was a guy they brought in because of his skill set of receiving out of the backfield.  If others can replace that, then he might have a tough time sticking.  But his competition is probably more Gibson than anybody else.  He might be a lock, but they went out and signed him and then said they were excited to have him because he provides the same type of skill set McCaffery has, just not at that level.

I'd agree on McKissic. He was clearly brought in to do be a third down back. And I don't see anyone on this roster who can replicate that effectively. Peterson and Barber are not that guy. Unless Love (who also has to get healthy) has made huge strides in this area, he's not that guy. I don't think its realistic to expect Gibson to be that guy next year. A third down back needs to know how to block and Gibson didn't even play the position in college. That's a tall order. The closest player to being an effective 3rd down back is probably Guice. He's not McKissic good as a receiver, but can hold down the position. But he has his own durability issues.

Maybe the word lock is too strong for McKissic, but he's close. He'd have the largest dead cap hit of any RB if cut, so the team does seem to be counting on him for next season

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Latimer will be ahead of AGG....if he isnt suspended/released. 

Latimer is in the same boat as Quinn and C. Simms--with his recent troubles, he is unlikely to make the team. Rivera has said this is an evaluation year--why not give AGG all the opportunities to succeed?

• Like 2

Y'all know you are talking about AGG in the AG thread right? I get the confusion, I had to double check myself.

Anyways, sorry for this repost, but I should have originally put it here instead of the old draft thread.

Been watching a lot of analysis on this past years successful rookies like McLaurin, Metcalf, Brown, and Samuels. Plus some stuff on Christian McCaffery, Joe Mixon, and David Johnson to get some idea of where Antonio Gibson might be able to succeed as both a WR and RB.  

One thing i like about Kyle and his team is they draft with balls. They aren’t afraid to go after guys who show high upside across multiple traits, even if the sample size is small. 

AG broke at least one tackle on over 48% of his carries which lead all running backs. The guy in second place to him, was a full 10% lower than him. According to the redskins he’s 6’2” and 228 lbs which is taller and heavier than both AJ Brown and Deebo Samuels while also running a 4.39 40 yard dash which is faster than both of them who ran 4.48/4.49 respectively. He’s also never fumbled the ball in his college career, was injury free, and averaged over 11 ypc. 

However, the problem with AG is his jab step is inconsistent at best and rarely forces the DB to commit to a given leverage. If he can work on some of that hip tightness and jab and drive more forcefully he should be able to win more effectively at the line and out of his breaks in the ways both AJ and Deebo did. However, AJ has actual straight up pass rushing moves he uses to fight off press that I don’t expect AG to show at any level this year. I hope more for a Deebo level and pathway for success in accelerating out of press. I think DK Metcalf’s level of acceleration and double move ability is out of AG’s reach, but he’s just a notch below and still has the capacity to make both LB’s and corners pay if he can get their hips turned just a bit.

I’m looking for three steps or less on breaks in hook or hitch routes to have any chance of separation and AG has shown that. He’s got the speed to be enough of a threat to see consistent off coverage and he has the strength to maintain leverage on his routes, however his contested catch percentage is poor and you’re asking too much of him for any serious work on the outside this year. 

He’s got potential to be a 3-Down capable running back and he’s able to be our pass catching back who can flex to slot right now (albeit with a limited route tree). Our bigger Christian McCaffery, although CMC is obviously a much much more polished and proven product, especially when it comes to setting up blocks and route running. 

I really like AG and what he can eventually turn into, especially if we can really get him going in both the run and pass game. He’ll free up Sims to focus more on just playing the slot and will be our inside zone, sweeps, and screen guy. And although it’s a small sample size I did like his run blocking potential and have some hope for his pass-blocking on 3rd down. It should be fun as hell watching him along side AP or Guice in two back sets with McLaurin and Harmon/AGG on the outside and whoever the hell our TE will be, I guess Logan Thomas.

• Like 1

I think that while the notion of Gibson as the ultimate weapon is nice, that reality rarely plays out with this type of prospect. I think he is a RB who will flex out sometimes and sometimes line up next to our more traditional RB's in the backfield. Despite how inexperienced he is as a RB, skill-set wise he's more David Johnson than Cordarelle Patterson imo (and in fact I think CPatt would have made a better RB than WR as well).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It would be great if he could become a more durable version of CT.

We havn't had a reliable 3rd down back in years. And we all know how miserable we've been on 3rd downs.

So having a true threat out of the backfield on 3rd down, would go a long way to curing our woes.

Now, if only we could get some TE production.

This is exactly my vision for him. A bigger, more durable, even more explosive Chris Thompson. Thomson was an excellent pass blocker though.  If Gibson wants that role, be better be solid in that area as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Latimer is in the same boat as Quinn and C. Simms--with his recent troubles, he is unlikely to make the team. Rivera has said this is an evaluation year--why not give AGG all the opportunities to succeed?

I disagree. Latimer was a good get and the NYG were not happy to lose him. He is still reasonably young and has skills/experience. I think he was signed because they like his potential.

The off field stuff may end up being a factor but I wouldn't overlook him....he hasnt been cut yet.

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I disagree. Latimer was a good get and the NYG were not happy to lose him. He is still reasonably young and has skills/experience. I think he was signed because they like his potential.

The off field stuff may end up being a factor but I wouldn't overlook him....he hasnt been cut yet.

He's very meh--28 in October, 300 yards in 15 games last year. Never had more than 300 yrds--i'd rather give AGG or Harmon the reps.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Getting a gut feeling the Gibson has a 500/500 type season. Too optimistic? 

Likely wildly optimistic. Only one WR (McLaurin) and one RB (Peterson) eclipsed those marks individually last season. Gibson is incredibly raw and completely unproven. Odds seem higher he fails to meet both benchmarks.

7 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I still don’t love the drafting of Gibson. With too many other holes needing filling I don’t see his particular style of hybrid play helping out much. Prove me wrong Antonio.

I completely understand this perception, and see why a significant portion of the fanbase would see the selection of Gibson in the early 3rd this way (hybrid, raw, bigger needs elsewhere, no defined position, lack of sustained production, a perceived reach etc...). However, I see the situation differently, and both get the rationale behind selecting Gibson at pick #66, and am extremely optimistic that his selection is going to pay big dividends on a variety of levels. 

First, what did our braintrust likely think was the greatest addressable deficiency on offense for this team, which could also assist in the development of an unproven young QB who is also learning a new system? Given that we were lacking a 2nd rounder, and that our 1st round selection was already dedicated to the defensive side of the ball, I've got to believe that adding a potential offensive weapon at #66 was paramount. Fixing the pervasive OL issues, which arguably could include LT, LG, OC, RT before the draft, were going to take more time and more picks to show returns, and frankly there was only one "falling" OL available at that pick, who is also a project who doesn't seem to be a good fit for what our new OC/OL coach seem to be wanting from a new OL scheme. 

Meanwhile this offense severely lacked playmakers and speed. Watching the brief preview of Scott Turner's offense at Carolina, he wants guys who can make a cut and go as well as catch the ball out of the backfield, guys who have versatility to lineup at multiple spots, and who are speed threats in space. You can't remake this OL in a year, but you can neutralize opposing pass rushes by disguising your personnel and tendencies, and by giving your QB guys who can do damage in space if he gets the ball out of his hands quickly, which is what Haskins was stellar at with ball distribution at OSU. Then add in the fact that our RB stable, while potentially explosive, consists of a near retirement AP, and a couple of youngsters who may never stay healthy in Guice and Love, and suddenly taking a versatile, fast, tackle breaking machine who can man that position if the other options fall through, or who can also play in the OC's multiple backfield sets with them, makes a lot of sense. 

I think we are going to look back on this pick within a year+ and be very, very happy that we took Gibson at #66. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stormy said:
11 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I completely understand this perception, and see why a significant portion of the fanbase would see the selection of Gibson in the early 3rd this way (hybrid, raw, bigger needs elsewhere, no defined position, lack of sustained production, a perceived reach etc...). However, I see the situation differently, and both get the rationale behind selecting Gibson at pick #66, and am extremely optimistic that his selection is going to pay big dividends on a variety of levels. 

Don’t get me wrong. I like him and his versatility. I just feel her was drafted solely because of his versatility. That he could fix so many different problems at once instead of finding someone with the ability to just solve one problem. I’m excited to see what he could do but I still think he was the kind of player you grab later in the draft. Guys like him always exist. 

8 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Don’t get me wrong. I like him and his versatility. I just feel her was drafted solely because of his versatility. That he could fix so many different problems at once instead of finding someone with the ability to just solve one problem. I’m excited to see what he could do but I still think he was the kind of player you grab later in the draft. Guys like him always exist. 

I think you might be underselling his mix of size and speed with a couple of those statements. 4.39 speed at 228 lbs isn’t always waiting around in the later rounds. Yea, he had a small sample size but he absolutely killed it when given the opportunity at over 11 ypc and the leading broken tackles percentage. Plus, he wasn’t making it out of the third round according to scouts and wouldn’t have been available with our next pick. 

As as far as these kinds of guys it was Laviska Shensult, Antonio Gibson, and Lynn Bowden who were available and taken in that order. Laviska was taken before our pick and AG has higher upside than LB so the pick makes sense. Especially, when you factor in how many receptions CMC had when Scott Turner was with the Panthers and what Stormy laid out above. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1