Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

I'm late to piggyback on the carvana/vroom topic, but seriously? Who makes that purchase, in the tens of thousands of dollars, without sitting in it, seeing if it feels right, kickin the tires, driving it, etc.? 

I've probably rented 2 dozen cars in my life. Only the last two did I not get a choice or specific reservation for, and it won't happen again. 😡

/rant

56 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm late to piggyback on the carvana/vroom topic, but seriously? Who makes that purchase, in the tens of thousands of dollars, without sitting in it, seeing if it feels right, kickin the tires, driving it, etc.? 

I actually got my Honda Fit from Carvana. I was comfortable doing so because they have a 7 day no questions asked return policy, so in essence, it's a 7 day test drive. I'm not a big car enthusiast, though, so after I did the research and decided what car I probably wanted, that was good enough for me (I was right). I'd imagine that people that enjoy the give and take of negotiating (I don't) and people who are picky about their cars and want to try a bunch of them (I'm not) wouldn't like it.

The only thing I didn't love about the process was that there was no vending machine near us at the time. 😦

There IS one in the area now, though, so our next car is totally coming that way. 😁

@techboy

I'm 4'10"...that's my point. A Honda Fit would never be a problem, size-wise...😄 But I had major issues with a Chevy Cruze I was forced into renting. You never think of these things until you're driving 9 hours to Winchester...

And who wants to go through the drama of having to return a car? Not an argument, glad it worked out for you. 

There is a type of customer that views cars in a very utilitarian manner.  And they don’t have the passion or verve for the product to engage in or enjoy the process of “car shopping”.  See @techboy...he wanted a low mileage Honda Fit and Carvana makes it easy.

Im more like @skinsmarydu, I enjoy the process.  Back in 2017 when I decided I needed to get of my Dealer tags and lease a car, I dove right into it.  I drove Volvo, Jaguar, Lexus, Audi, Infiniti and Lincoln...didn’t tell a soul I was affiliated with the Mazda joint down the street.  A couple folks recognized me anyway, but it was fun.

I bagged a 400hp twin turbo Lincoln.  Great car, great deal from a local dealer that’s been in business for 70 years.

Lease is up in November.  Can’t wait to do it again.  Might go Volvo this time...

2 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Yea he is worth about $118 million and only put $3 million in when he started. I think he will be ok....

Really? What a ****. And he’s talking all this trash about how he’s the greatest investor there is right now and he’s so much better than Buffett.

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Really? What a ****. And he’s talking all this trash about how he’s the greatest investor there is right now and he’s so much better than Buffett.

His whole schtick is being a troll and an arrogant ****head. It has worked pretty well for him and barstool and I find him hilarious.  

Edited by BigDibbs31

Iceland now feels like the coronavirus never happened

The bars and restaurants are full. People are out enjoying themselves. Spectacular geological attractions are wide open to tourists.

Anyone visiting Iceland right now could be forgiven for thinking they've arrived in a parallel universe where the coronovirus never happened.

It's a tantalising prospect.

For people arriving from countries still under lockdown, the sheer normality of eating lunch in a bustling Reykjavik cafe is almost as thrilling as peering over the thundering abyss of Iceland's mighty Gullfoss waterfall.

There's an added bonus for anyone who does make the trip here at the moment.

Usually crowded with travellers at this time of year, the country is empty.

In its early stages, the infection wreaked havoc among the island's relatively small population.

But thanks to a rigorous regime of tracking and tracing, it has more or less been eliminated, giving the country confidence to fully reopen borders on June 15.

Airport swabs
There's no complacency though.

Before entering Iceland, travellers must wear a mask on flights and within the arrival halls of Keflavik Airport.

On landing, they join a new queue for nose and throat swabs to filter out anyone who might be carrying COVID-19.

This can be an unsettling experience. It involves being ushered into a cubicle where two people dressed in full medical protective gear use long plastic sticks to prod much deeper than you might expect to take a sample.

Results come by text message several hours later.

If positive, visitors must enter quarantine for 14 days regardless of any plans they might have for their visit.

There's also the option of forgoing the test and going straight to quarantine.

If the test is negative, visitors are free to enjoy Iceland with no restrictions.

Click on the link for the full article

Man, Six Flags...I could run from coaster to coaster even in my 40s, on "severely bad air" days. I really miss that. 

I should start seeing my chiropractor anyway if I ever wanna play golf again. If I were to attempt a drive, I'd end up on a stretcher. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Man, Six Flags...I could run from coaster to coaster even in my 40s, on "severely bad air" days. I really miss that. 

I should start seeing my chiropractor anyway if I ever wanna play golf again. If I were to attempt a drive, I'd end up on a stretcher. 

Walked 18 this morning at Chastain (in Buckhead, Atlanta for those that do not know).  It opened this week after being closed since March. You may surprise yourself! 🙂  

Edited by goskins10

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Walked 18 this morning at Chastain (in Buckhead, Atlanta for those that do not know).  It opened this week after being closed since March. You may surprise yourself! 🙂  

You walked it? I know folks who like that course. Like I said, I need new shoes & gloves (and an adjustment 😄) before we attempt it. 

And I walk for a living. Cart's on you. 🤣🤣🤣

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

You walked it? I know folks who like that course. Like I said, I need new shoes & gloves (and an adjustment 😄) before we attempt it. 

And I walk for a living. Cart's on you. 🤣🤣🤣

I didn't say it was smart to walk... :LOL  I had cramps all afternoon. Forgot it had been 3 months since I walked 18. Should have walked 9, rode 9. 

But glad to pick up a cart anytime!  Good exercise and a way to relieve angst on a little white ball! 

image.png.252545eeb6c0fc4b44df9461d39b18a1.png

• Haha 1

Just now, Corcaigh said:

Yeah ... there are several possible interpretations of Cruisin' Chubbys. None of them good.

My former boss (Italian grandma who wasn't small) called EVERYONE "Chubby", it was a term of endearment to her, pissed me off all the time. 

Now that she's passed away, I'd give anything to hear her yelling, "Chubby, these folks need a cannoli!"

Chubby Cannoli Cruise. (just spitballin') 😄 

• Haha 1