Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

Texas governor halts reopening as coronavirus crisis grows; California's declares budget emergency

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott paused any further phases to reopen the state on Thursday and issued an order to ensure hospital beds be available for Covid-19 patients.

Abbott's moves came as his state, California and Florida -- the three-most populous -- set records for new coronavirus cases daily amid fears of "apocalyptic" surges in major Texas cities if the trend continues.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a budget emergency to free up $16 billion to fight the pandemic, according to a release from his office.

Click on the link for the full article

Starbucks employee receives more than $16K in tips after refusing to serve a customer who wasn't wearing a mask

More than $16,000 has been raised for a Starbucks employee after a customer posted on Facebook that the barista refused to serve her at a San Diego location because she wasn't wearing a mask.

A GoFundMe set up for the barista, identified as Lenin Gutierrez, raised nearly $17,000 as of Wednesday - just days after it was posted online.

"Raising money for Lenin for his honorable effort standing his ground when faced with a Karen in the wild," the creator of the fundraiser, Matt Cowan, wrote in the description of the page.

All donations to the page are considered "personal gifts" to Gutierrez, Cowan wrote.

The page was set up after a customer posted a picture of Gutierrez in his mask at a Starbucks complaining that she wasn't served when she came in without a mask, defying the county's guidelines.

"Meet lenen from Starbucks who refused to serve me cause I'm not wearing a mask. Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption," Amber Lynn Gilles wrote in a Facebook post that's been shared 46,000 times.

• Like 1

I swung by my gym yesterday when I was out and about yesterday.  Not to workout but to see what the deal is and how they are operating.  Masks are required to be worn at all time even while working out.

Anyone know of any masks that would be the least uncomfortable to workout in?  I'm still just rocking the blue medical masks at this point, and working out in one simply won't happen.  I'd be sweating right through that before I'm done with my first exercise.

This won't be for doing any cardio, strictly for lifting weights.  

I saw Under Armor has one coming out in August that is $30.  I'd pay $30 for one if it's comfortable.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I swung by my gym yesterday when I was out and about yesterday.  Not to workout but to see what the deal is and how they are operating.  Masks are required to be worn at all time even while working out.

Anyone know of any masks that would be the least uncomfortable to workout in?  I'm still just rocking the blue medical masks at this point, and working out in one simply won't happen.  I'd be sweating right through that before I'm done with my first exercise.

I saw Under Armor has one coming out in August that is $30.  I'd pay $30 for one if it's comfortable.

These are extremely comfortable.

https://www.masqd.com/collections/masks

6 hours ago, purbeast said:

I'm getting those. I know Amazon has some synthetic face dusters that I bought. They work good enough. I would only use them for indoor use, though

22 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm getting those. I know Amazon has some synthetic face dusters that I bought. They work good enough. I would only use them for indoor use, though

It will be for indoor and lifting weights at the gym.

I have one of those buff things that I got in Aruba years ago to use while ATV'ing.  It is one that covers your neck and you can pull up over your face too.  I feel like that would be too hot to lift with though but haven't tried it.  I did wear it into the liquor store with a hat and sun glasses on and felt like they thought I was about to rob the joint.  Literally couldn't see any skin on my face.

Edited by purbeast
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Eviction suspension ends Sunday, June 28th in Virginia. I hope people are prepared for this.

I don't think there's any way to prepare, for people who've lost their jobs.

Would be nice if some insanely rich people could pool their money and resources and provide housing for these people

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Would be nice if some insanely rich people could pool their money and resources and provide housing for these people

Yeah, I hear you. Make plans to move in with family or friends? 

I've heard some advertisements in Richmond about housing assistance money but don't know the details. Sounded like a new source of money.

Co-founder of ReOpen Maryland says he has COVID-19, but won’t help contact tracing efforts

A co-founder of the ReOpen Maryland movement has said on social media that he tested positive for coronavirus this week but won’t work with public health officials trying to track the spread of the pandemic.

Tim Walters, a two-time Republican candidate for the General Assembly from Linthicum, said in a series of Facebook videos starting Tuesday that he has come down with COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus.

“I was diagnosed yesterday at the ER with COVID-19 and here I am months after not wearing a mask at rallies, churches and so on and so it’s funny how capricious this thing is,” he said.

Walters helped organize ReOpen Maryland protests in Annapolis, on the Eastern Shore and elsewhere in Maryland to challenge state and local measures put in place by Gov. Larry Hogan to slow the spread of the virus.

He said he has had a dry cough since March, that in recent days has worsened and expanded to include a headache, fever and loss of focus in one eye.

Walters urged people who have come in contact with him in the past two weeks to pay attention to the symptoms he described but he said he would not provide any information to public health officials trying to trace the spread of the disease.

Anne Arundel County Health Office Nilesh Kalyanaraman has described contact tracing as the most effective tool public health officials have in slowing the spread of the virus.

Anne Arundel County was among the first counties in Maryland to establish a robust tracking system. The state of Maryland has also set up a contact tracing program.

Walters was having none of it.

“I will not share anybody’s information with the government. I will not do it,” he said.

In a second video posted Wednesday, Walters said he had been contacted by the state contact tracing team and decided to have his wife and members of his family tested. He declined to comment Friday morning on his announcement.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, purbeast said:

I got these the other day and they probably work for what you want. 

https://www.adidas.com/us/face-covers-m-l-3-pack/H08837.html

Face_Covers_M_L_3_Pack_Black_H08837_H088

Free shipping if you join their rewards program (it's free).

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Eviction suspension ends Sunday, June 28th in Virginia. I hope people are prepared for this.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

California is trying to do it right by people.

• Like 1