Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

4 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

I don't disagree with the initial closure of all things. If you leave certain facilities open they would become congregation points and possibly lead to increased spread. Everyone understood there was going to be a pain point for a lot of people. 

The lack of cohesive planning is the killer IMO. 

but why should Walmart stay open and not a random mom and pop store. 

33 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

but why should Walmart stay open and not a random mom and pop store. 

As an example, Walmart could provide a multitude of services, groceries, pharmacy some cases minute clinics. They provide a greater resource then a small business. I know in our area small businesses that were grocery or pharmacy were allowed, they provided an essential service versus the mom and pop that sells hand made pottery. 

I get what your saying but trying to compare facilities that offer multiple services to a one off store is not possible. Especially to stores that don't offer essential services. There was no good way to shut down the economy just like there is really not good way to try to spin it backup. People are going to be unhappy no matter what was done in both closing and opening. 

I would also contend that a chain can absorb the lower customer flow/profitability better than a one-off store could. At least when a store is completely closed, overhead drops drastically. That's why I still don't quite understand the math when restaurants are opening with 50% capacity. Unless their margins are sky-high normally, this would still seem to be difficult to make money. 

• Like 3

Trump is getting his reopening even as the virus takes another swipe

President Donald Trump is getting what he wants: The country is opening up come what may, despite alarming indications that the coronavirus pandemic is intensifying its assault.

The President has been cajoling for reopenings for weeks, banking on the ebbing patience of a gregarious and industrious people who don't take well to being told to stay home. He's been ostentatiously moving around the country without a mask -- even if such behavior by the head of the government sets a poor example and shuns precautions that could keep Americans alive. Trump is not just defying the virus -- he's poking a stick at officials' warnings to avoid large gatherings, planning a rally in Oklahoma next week and others in four states where infections are heading up after that. Vice President Mike Pence -- who heads the White House coronavirus task force -- on Wednesday tweeted a photo of his visit to crammed-together campaign workers, none of whom were wearing masks or social distancing. He later deleted the tweet.

Increasingly, as airlines add flights, schools prepare classes for the fall and Americans balk at the idea that trips to the beach are off, it seems he may have made a shrewd bet -- at least within the narrow political calculus that motivates his actions. More and more people seem willing to live with the disease and its awful cost -- at least those who have not personally experienced its deadly potential -- if it means recapturing a semblance of their normal lives.

"Americans are on the move and they can't be tied down and they can't be restrained," Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas said on Wednesday.

But such decisions are coming without the honest, unprejudiced advice of a President whose most fundamental duty is to keep Americans safe and who has suppressed the ability of public health officials to speak to the nation from an authoritative White House backdrop.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

I could have swore it was in the bill that the companies who were funded had to be disclosed within 72 hours.

What happened to that?  The article does not discuss any covenants that were attached to the bill?  Did this verbiage get wiped by the Senate?  If so I never heard about it and if thats what happened it's bull**** and something the Dems should have fought harder on.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo Threatens to Reinstate Closings

Upset by "rampant" violations of New York’s pandemic-fighting restrictions, Gov. Andrew Cuomo is threatening to reinstate closings in areas where local governments fail to enforce the rules.

Manhattan and Long Island’s tony Hamptons were singled out Sunday as problem areas by Cuomo, who cited 25,000 complaints statewide of reopening violations. The large gatherings, social-distancing violations and lax face-covering enforcement endanger the state’s fragile progress in the fight against the coronavirus, Cuomo said, adding that many complaints involve bars and restaurants. 

"We are not kidding around with this. You’re talking about jeopardizing people’s lives," Cuomo said at his daily briefing.

The warning comes a day after the Democractic governor reacted sternly to a short Twitter video from New York City of young people enjoying a warm day packed tightly on a city street, many without masks.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

Maskless woman coughs on customer in New York City bagel shop

Tempers ran high after a video surfaced over the weekend showing a woman inside a New York City bagel shop not wearing a mask and coughing on a fellow patron.

In the video captured on a cellphone, Allison Goodbaum was at a bagel shop when she spotted a woman coughing, without a mask or covering her mouth.

“I didn’t say anything to her,” Goodbaum told “Good Morning America.” “It’s not my place to say anything to her directly, though I told the person who was working there, I told the staff that I believe they should enforce the mask rule.”

A New York State mandate requires everyone to wear a face covering when outside their home if they are unable to maintain at least six feet of distance from others. Under the mandate, people who have had COVID-19 are also required to wear a face covering when outside their home.

Goodbaum said the cougher overheard her complaint to shop employees and that’s when things escalated.

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Sad 1

I wonder what it will take to get people to take this thing somewhat seriously again. I mean, I'm getting out a little bit. I just wear a mask when I do. 

It could be the NBA all over again -- when/if the NFL cancels its season, people might be like oh snap, no one told me this country has failed on an epic level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

I wonder what it will take to get people to take this thing somewhat seriously again. I mean, I'm getting out a little bit. I just wear a mask when I do. 

It could be the NBA all over again -- when/if the NFL cancels its season, people might be like oh snap, no one told me this country has failed on an epic level.

I feel like your following yourself around and punching yourself in the face right now out of frustration in some of these threads lately.

I feel your pain, man, you know the answer to this question.  Step 1, America cancels its football religion is the only way some folks realize we can't just ignore this even if they try.

The idea that its fine if players get it and are asymptomatic is missing the point that these players are paranoid about their health for the most part and still getting it, so they will give it to coaches or other members of the franchise that won't be so lucky.

People have given up in a lot of places, but it got compounded and exacerbated when the government gave up first.  At some point I can't blame some folks, telling everyone to stay home was an overreaction caused by an under-reaction, but the overreaction was supposed to buy us time get it right, which our government still choose not to do.

The problem isn't folks taking it seriously anymore, a lot of people tried and got left for dead when they scaled down the task force.  I don't think a lot of people will take this government seriously unless it forces closings again. Telling people to stay home won't work if places are still open, that's why New York is threatening to mandate closings again.  I've lost faith in this administration leading us in the right direction, they will either overreact or under-react until a new President takes over.

What I see some folks calling a problem is really a symptom of a bigger one: our government failed us and we now painfully see we can't get past step 1 on anything anymore with this pandemic.  "Step 1, ?, Profit" isn't going to fly right now, and wouldn't with a new administration, either.  We should not of had to close the whole GD country, government blew its wad on that one, its nearly impossible to get folks to take this that seriously again without a legitimate followed through step 2.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3