Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

Second day in a row going to the gym.  Been having health problems that got worse the last three months, so after troubleshooting what changed, had to accept this was one of them.

I'm sure im going to get crap for this or "not me, not yet" responses, but I can't care because it's my health, I gotta live with it in the flesh, not digitally.  Gym did what they could, gave everyone their own spray bottle and closed most of the machines to force social distancing. But yes, I was one of only two people that wore masks, it was hard. I'll stick to mornings because they are cleaning overnight.

I say I can't care if for any reason seeing an overweight black lady in an elliptical ahead of me straight ballin. She's the high risk people we supposed to be trying to protect, but she was running in a way that it was obvious she wasn't trying to wait in her house to die.

This is not the same as "I want to go to the pool party".  This is a major health issue, so if folks want to take improving their health in their own hands, we should let them, especially high risk folks.

Is what it is.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Just wondering, why did not going to the gym prevent you from working out?

I never said that I wasnt working out at all, I brought up in quarantine thread I was doing at home workouts. Much to be desired since I got rid of most of my equipment when downsizing, I felt it first day back. Yesterday was first day gym opened back up, so I went seeing if it would make a difference, it did.

• Like 1

@Renegade7 good for you!

I don't think anyone should feel compelled to defend the choices that they are making during this situation. As long as we are doing things responsibly and considerately toward others, these are our decisions to make. The gym is open with updated guidelines...to which you adhered. I see no issue whatsoever with your choice. 

• Like 5

I'm going to go to the gym ASAP as well I think. Also, I'm going to go play pickup hockey where it's open. Jogging a few miles every day and working out with resistance bands, stick handling with a green biscuit in my garage... these things just aren't doing enough for me. The numbers in NOVA are dropping fairly sharply as well.

16 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Renegade7 good for you!

I don't think anyone should feel compelled to defend the choices that they are making during this situation. As long as we are doing things responsibly and considerately toward others, these are our decisions to make. The gym is open with updated guidelines...to which you adhered. I see no issue whatsoever with your choice. 

I agree entirely on this.

Just want to chime in that much of the drama pertaining to people moving on with their lives is the capacity in which they do that.  The loudest 'open it all up, covid is a hoax' crowd believes operating in limited/different capacities, wearing masks, social distancing, etc. is an infringement on their rights vs. common sense practices in a pandemic.  This is where all the drama lies.  If we had even remotely decent leadership from the top, I gather many things would have been open within reason sooner than they were.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

As @Springfield said, numbers in NoVa are dropping sharply.  This is driving a lot of my decision making, as I noted in the quarantine thread.  

Granted, the numbers are still higher than when we went into quarantine. But it seems like every day brings a lower and lower number for the Nova area. There were only 11 cases reported in Fairfax today. Now that could be an outlier, but the days leading up to that were 76, 78 and 75 cases. We haven't seen a 100+ case in Fairfax since June 8. Furthermore, hospitalizations (probably a better measure) are trending down as well. Most days since the end of May have seen fewer than 20 hospitalizations with a couple outliers. There have been no more than 10 deaths on any given day since the end of May as well. Some days there are no deaths reported.

All of these things give me the impression that the virus is waning here in Nova. I'm hopeful that the numbers can continue to trend this direction. If they start to creep back up then I'll probably act more cautiously.

All of this is interesting to me, because most of the WaPo's headlines about Coronavirus are a testament to how the numbers are going back up in light of re-opening. Looking at the VDH's own website I can't help but look at things differently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

All of this is interesting to me, because most of the WaPo's headlines about Coronavirus are a testament to how the numbers are going back up in light of re-opening. Looking at the VDH's own website I can't help but look at things differently.

It seems to me that the numbers are going up in states that reopened really early and have a significant portion of their populations who, as @BatteredFanSyndrome put it, think COVID is a hoax and take zero precautions and/or actively flout health guidance in order to assert their rights (to be morons) and conspicuously show their support for Trump.  NoVa is largely not that group of people.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I never said that I wasnt working out at all, I brought up in quarantine thread I was doing at home workouts. Much to be desired since I got rid of most of my equipment when downsizing, I felt it first day back. Yesterday was first day gym opened back up, so I went seeing if it would make a difference, it did.

I have to say that there is only so much one can do at home with minimal equipment on hand if they were in a routine/schedule at a gym with a plethora of equipment at their disposal.  I haven't been to a gym and worked out on weights in a decade, so for me, anything I do at home benefits. 

I got a curling bar and straight bench press bar and some dumbbells.  I can actually do a lot with those for arms, shoulders, chest.  Could probably do squats if I wanted to, but I've never been a big fan of those, last time I did them was in college.  Only big thing I can't do is legs, we scrapped my weight bench years ago.  No where to put one now.  We did get an exercise bike I use for cardio, one that actually doesn't kill my knees to use.

You gotta do what's best for your physical and mental health man, and it's not like you're breaking any rules.  Screw any haters.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It seems to me that the numbers are going up in states that reopened really early and have a significant portion of their populations who, as @BatteredFanSyndrome put it, think COVID is a hoax and take zero precautions and/or actively flout health guidance in order to assert their rights (to be morons) and conspicuously show their support for Trump.  NoVa is largely not that group of people.  

NC is one of those states.  Our governor started re-opening too soon, imo.  That aside, there are a lot of people in my area that believe it's a hoax, refuse to wear a mask (if they can) or social distance while out in public.  When you only provide suggested guidelines and rely on the people to follow through, well, that's a problem. 

I can't tell you how much disrespect, hate, etc. I've seen on community facebook groups I'm on.  It's not shocking, but it's a lot more people than I thought.  And now they are talking about another possible stay at home order and trying to make wearing masks mandatory.  If that gets passed, the crazy peeps are going to go off the deep end.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Regarding VA’s numbers let’s call it what it is...

Northam’s reopening plan was cautious and prudent and the populace in Virginia took mask-wearing and social distancing seriously.  

At least someone did.  It's a **** show down here.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

NC is one of those states.  Our governor started re-opening too soon, imo.  That aside, there are a lot of people in my area that believe it's a hoax, refuse to wear a mask (if they can) or social distance while out in public.  When you only provide suggested guidelines and rely on the people to follow through, well, that's a problem. 

I can't tell you how much disrespect, hate, etc. I've seen on community facebook groups I'm on.  It's not shocking, but it's a lot more people than I thought.  And now they are talking about another possible stay at home order and trying to make wearing masks mandatory.  If that gets passed, the crazy peeps are going to go off the deep end.

At least someone did.  It's a **** show down here.

Being in Raleigh, it sucks that people can't just wear masks. Plus, we did open up too early again and that was cause of the business community pushing hard for it. We never flattened the curve here. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Restaurants open there?

Haven’t tried. It’s been raining most of the time since Saturday. The Chill Spot (ice cream) is open but only for outside dining so we took our ice cream back home. Super Wings is open. Off the Wall Taphouse looked open and I thought I saw people sitting down inside. They have a patio area that I assume will be open when it isn’t raining.

Awful luck for weather this week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not wearing a mask is simply people exercising their right to be an asshole.  It's the easiest thing in the world to do, everyone knows you should do it, and people that refuse are just being needlessly awful.  

I stocked up on freezables and canned stuff in February. Only things I literally RUN thru the store for are bread, eggs, milk & fruit/vegetables. 

I can most definitely wear a mask for 15 minutes. People who "can't" are just stupid. 

Can we agree with "cant" and "won't" aren't the same thing?

It's getting hotter and folks having breathing issues.  Saw a family the other day under a tree between Costco and Walmart begging for money, had two kids with them.

Gave them $40 and said they'd have better luck if they had masks because of people scared of getting virus from them.  How much of that should they use on masks? 

They got what I was saying, but by time I came back with some scarfs, they were gone. I'm hoping someone saw that and just helped them like they needed. The number of people panhandling outside is growing, non-reusable masks for them is unrealistic.  I think that's a separate discussion and saying that out loud because I'm covering my face despite having my own breathing issues the last couple months.

Keep the anger directed in the right direction, please.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The loudest 'open it all up, covid is a hoax' crowd believes operating in limited/different capacities, wearing masks, social distancing, etc. is an infringement on their rights vs. common sense practices in a pandemic.

I think you're spot on, I live right on the border of Pasco & Hillsborough County in Florida. Most of Pasco is dark red and I would say about 10% of the people I see out and about are wearing masks but when I drive to my office in Hillsborough which is purplish blue, that percentage is about 40%, maybe a bit more.

Not only that but at least once a week someone feels the urge to ask me why I'm wearing a mask and do I feel it's worth it.

I'm trying so hard to bite my tongue and be nice.

• Like 2

I've stopped being polite when it comes to wearing a mask. Even at work. It's situational mind you,but I've become very impatient with the knuckle heads around where I live. Examples. I had my mask on as I left work the other day and couldn't take it off when I got outside because my hands were full. Some older guy was about to laugh at me when I caught his eye but the look of "I will beat you where you stand" put a stop to that. Just 2 days ago I was helping a fellow with some decking,(Trex to be exact),and as I was checking something on the app,he asked me when were going to be able to stop wearing those "silly masks". He didn't wear one of course. I took a deep breath or 2 and told him that it could be July or later I had no idea. Deep breaths didn't work. I looked at him and said "Doesn't do a damn bit of good if nobody else wears them anyway". That ended the conversation. This is my general response these days when asked about it. Either a mask goes on suddenly or things get quiet fast.  Wearing a mask is mandatory for employees where I work btw. Just like other places. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I have to say that there is only so much one can do at home with minimal equipment on hand if they were in a routine/schedule at a gym with a plethora of equipment at their disposal.  I haven't been to a gym and worked out on weights in a decade, so for me, anything I do at home benefits. 

I got a curling bar and straight bench press bar and some dumbbells.  I can actually do a lot with those for arms, shoulders, chest.  Could probably do squats if I wanted to, but I've never been a big fan of those, last time I did them was in college.  Only big thing I can't do is legs, we scrapped my weight bench years ago.  No where to put one now.  We did get an exercise bike I use for cardio, one that actually doesn't kill my knees to use.

You gotta do what's best for your physical and mental health man, and it's not like you're breaking any rules.  Screw any haters.

true and not true. There's a whole host of challenging body weight exercises—can you do a front lever or a handstand?  (I can't). But leg strength is tough to overload without some olympic weights. There are some functional lower bodyweight exercises—like pistol squats—that are pretty good.

• Like 1