Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

OK. 

I just wonder if we could have targeted the "stay at home" orders more strategically. It could have resulted in more businesses staying open, fewer jobs being lost, and asking people to stay home if they fell ill. We still could have checked temps, etc. at businesses to limit the exposure to those with symptoms. 

The vast majority of Covid cases that end up in hospitals don’t display fevers. Temperature checks are a really ineffective strategy. 

Almost every credible study has shown that the live viral load is highest in people at the presymptomatic and early mild symptoms stage. Most of what you are prescribing wouldn’t work. 

What will work is preventing crowding in indoor spaces, not doing activities indoors that result in droplet formation (talking, singing etc) and mask wearing. This is the only strategy employed around the world that has shown to be effective. It also means that a lot of businesses (like restaurants) and services (like schools), can’t be reopened safely.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

OK. 

I just wonder if we could have targeted the "stay at home" orders more strategically. It could have resulted in more businesses staying open, fewer jobs being lost, and asking people to stay home if they fell ill. We still could have checked temps, etc. at businesses to limit the exposure to those with symptoms. 

That is LITERALLY what Sweden tried.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/19/anger-in-sweden-as-elderly-pay-price-for-coronavirus-strategy

""This is our big problem area,” said Tegnell, the brains behind the government’s relatively light-touch strategy, which has seen it ask, rather than order, people to avoid non-essential travel, work from home and stay indoors if they are over 70 or are feeling ill."

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/08/14-states-puerto-rico-hit-their-highest-seven-day-average-new-covid-19-infections-since-june/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_newinfections-825pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans&itid=hp_rhp__hp-top-table-main_newinfections-825pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

As rates of coronavirus infections ease in places such as New York and Illinois and onetime hot spots move into new phases of reopening, parts of the country that had previously avoided being hit hard by the outbreak are now tallying record-high new infections.

Since the start of June, 14 states and Puerto Rico have recorded their highest-ever seven-day average of new coronavirus cases since the pandemic began, according to data tracked by The Washington Post: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

If the pandemic’s first wave burned through dense metro hubs such as New York City, Chicago and Detroit, the highest percentages of new cases are coming from places with much smaller populations: Lincoln County, Ore., an area of less than 50,000, has averaged 20 new daily cases; the Bear River Health District in northern Utah has averaged 78 new cases a day in the past week, most of them tied to an outbreak at a meat processing plant in the small town of Hyrum.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Dr. Gottlieb is also on MSNBC on a daily basis, and the reason I'm still isolating except when I go to work, and I'm fine with us not opening the dining room yet. This thing is waaaaay far from over. 

He shows up on CNBC a lot too.  Dude is rock solid.

• Like 2

We gave up basically. I get it — people are exhausted, going crazy and/or broke. 

But just because we all want this to be over doesn’t mean it is.

As a country, we blew it I think by not coming up with a real testing and contact tracing plan. Hope I’m wrong. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

43 minutes ago, Hooper said:

We gave up basically. I get it — people are exhausted, going crazy and/or broke. 

As a country, we blew it I think by not coming up with a real testing and contact tracing plan. Hope I’m wrong. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10796726

Hooper,  I agree whole heartedly, though perhaps "sad heartedly" is more descriptive.  We are dealing with all kinds of emotional responses from our kids, especially our youngest.  We are tired too, and explaining to your kids why they can't do what their friends are doing is not fun.  Doing so when the kids already feel left out or different sucks.

However, I also get angry because the less people socially distance themselves, the longer my family and I have to socially isolate.  They both make our time longer and less pleasant.  The motto of alone together loses much of the together...

BTW, I saw the/a main writer for This Is Us died.  I wonder if it was COVID.  I believe she was under 40.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

I think the country became more comfortable with the risk based on the reasons you posted above...staying in our homes for months on end is not a sustainable way of living. We knew this strategy was going to have a shelf-life. 

Edit: I'll add...it was never meant to be something we did in perpetuity. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think the country became more comfortable with the risk based on the reasons you posted above...staying in our homes for months on end is not a sustainable way of living. We knew this strategy was going to have a shelf-life. 

Edit: I'll add...it was never meant to be something we did in perpetuity. 

I think everyone knew it had a shelf life, my biggest issue is the lack of cohesive strategy across the country. 

You can't shut the economy down forever and you can't force everything to close. But you could have a national strategy and guidelines. I believe that would have made everyone more comfortable moving forward. But, that's just my opinion. 

-Edit-

I mean we don't even a have a national standard for recording the dead. You have states that appear to be dumping COVID deaths into the pneumonia category, that should never happen. 

Edited by GoSkinsGo
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

I think everyone knew it had a shelf life, my biggest issue is the lack of cohesive strategy across the country. 

You can't shut the economy down forever and you can't force everything to close. But you could have a national strategy and guidelines. I believe that would have made everyone more comfortable moving forward. But, that's just my opinion. 

-Edit-

I mean we don't even a have a national standard for recording the dead. You have states that appear to be dumping COVID deaths into the pneumonia category, that should never happen. 

We can leave all small businesses open.  Not sure why we need to close those down too.  Basically its big workcenters, factories, stadiums and other large places of tight gatherings that need to be stopped. 

We have the procedures, the strategies, stockpiles of supplies, and the CDC. 

They're all worthless if no one in charge can implement them or coordinate it nationally.

They're also all worthless when we just divert all the money away during the next emergency or crisis.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

We have the procedures, the strategies, stockpiles of supplies, and the CDC. 

They're all worthless if no one in charge can implement them or coordinate it nationally.

They're also all worthless when we just divert all the money away during the next emergency or crisis.

Doesn't help when you have a reality TV star in the White House.  I'm sorry if this doesn't teach America that we need a career politician in the highest office.  You may not agree with the person in office but they know how govt works.  Trump doesn't. 

21 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

We can leave all small businesses open.  Not sure why we need to close those down too.  Basically its big workcenters, factories, stadiums and other large places of tight gatherings that need to be stopped. 

I don't disagree with the initial closure of all things. If you leave certain facilities open they would become congregation points and possibly lead to increased spread. Everyone understood there was going to be a pain point for a lot of people. 

The lack of cohesive planning is the killer IMO.