Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

OMG, y'all. We were so busy today. Definitely got my steps in, for sure.

When I was told we were doing well, it was not a joke.  14k yesterday. There are 7 people on tonight in the front of the house, dining room is still closed. 

We are blessed/extremely fortunate. 😊

• Like 13

Spoke with my daughter on Saturday. Her doctor is running for Congress in our district. The doctor, Dr. Christine Mann TX-31, told her that because states are opening up we'll see another spike this Summer and again in the Fall. This confirms my thoughts. My daughter also said that about the only people she sees now with masks are us older people.

On a positive note: she said that after one employee in another building tested positive weeks ago and her stores instituted pretty stringent requirements and barriers for employees and customers, there hasn't been any other cases. For Austin TX locals, she works at Wheatsville Co-op. The take employee temps daily, erected barriers at checkout, enforce social distancing. 

As part of reopening, they are adding back more hours. She says she's tired, probably more from stress I think. Her hair is longer than I've seen it. We got to visit for about an hour. 

• Like 3

Floridians aren’t following virus safety measures, survey says. Thousands won’t stay home

MIAMI — As Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis continues to allow phased reopenings in more parts of the state, the state’s Department of Health announced a new app that streamlines the way Floridians and others can take the Community Action Survey, which officials say can help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Data from the survey show Floridians aren’t following some health official safety measures.

Since the outbreak began health officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Health have been asking citizens to social distance, sanitize, stay at home and be aware of what updates are released from their organizations.

The survey shows some people have been disregarding these warnings.

Of those surveyed, 22.5% say they don’t clean or disinfect frequently. When asked if they would stay at home if they’re sick, 25.8% of people said they would not. More than 50% of people said they haven’t been consulting the CDC, Florida Department of Health or their doctors.

Out of the 324,208 surveyed, 35,818 said they have symptoms, 12,563 said they feel sick and 882 said they traveled while feeling sick.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Interesting graphic at the link:

Is It Safer to Visit a Coffee Shop or a Gym?

As states begin to reopen, Americans are looking at any trip outside through the lens of contagion. Is it safe to go back to Starbucks? What about the gym? Nail salons are out of the question, right?

The country faces an ugly trade-off. Keep the economy closed and prolong the economic misery. Or open up the economy and risk a resurgence of Covid-19, undoing the gains earned through weeks of social isolation.

We believe there’s another option.

Click on the link for the graphic

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Spoke with my daughter on Saturday. Her doctor is running for Congress in our district. The doctor, Dr. Christine Mann TX-31, told her that because states are opening up we'll see another spike this Summer and again in the Fall. This confirms my thoughts. My daughter also said that about the only people she sees now with masks are us older people.

On a positive note: she said that after one employee in another building tested positive weeks ago and her stores instituted pretty stringent requirements and barriers for employees and customers, there hasn't been any other cases. For Austin TX locals, she works at Wheatsville Co-op. The take employee temps daily, erected barriers at checkout, enforce social distancing. 

As part of reopening, they are adding back more hours. She says she's tired, probably more from stress I think. Her hair is longer than I've seen it. We got to visit for about an hour. 

My niece lives in Austin. In fact I had plans with some other family to go see her until Covid interrupted. She has said she is not going anywhere. She works at UT so at least she is not being forced out. 

Glad you got to visit. Hope things get better but as you stated it looks like worse before better. 

And easy on that whole "older" stuff!  We are just more experienced! 🙂  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

So ****ing frustrating watching so many selfish stupid people put us all in danger.

What if just one of these brunchers is contagious?

Think I've seen two places where people did a random sample of a particular city.  Think both "surveys" said 5% of the population as a whole were positive.  

Assuming that this means 5% of the country is positive (Not a mathematically proven assumption, but the only data we've got.), thgen it means that if there's 10 people in a room, the odds are 40% that somebody in there's contagious.  

That picture?  There's what, 100 people in there?  Odds are, there's 5 infectious people in there.  

- - - - 

The crowd has broken into chants of "arrest Bill Gates" at the anti-lockdown protest at Parliament House in Melbourne @theage. The crowd has grown considerably since midday.

Is stupidity contagious?  

Edited by Larry