Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

JSSkinz

Listening to Gaudi and Doc sort of analyze the interview with RR, here's a few highlights of the discussion:

1)  Snyder will be the primary to make the decision on any promotion of Kyle to GM - they seem to think that's okay from a "separation of power" perspective, RR not wanting the optics to look weird and still looking at how well things work for everyone

2)  RR really laying out what he's looking for from his QB in leadership, work ethic, etc. and then Haskins.  RR did have a first round grade on him, likes what he sees from his off-season work but RR still will not commit to him as THE QB (tough love)

3)  Everybody thinks they are done with FA's right now and until they see these guys on the field and work ethic but they are always looking for "fit"

4)  They didn't bring in a lot of UDFA's because the likely hood of them making the team with a limited off-season is very low

5)  Already mentioned by SIP the TW's thing

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

3)  Everybody thinks they are done with FA's right now and until they see these guys on the field and work ethic but they are always looking for "fit"

4)  They didn't bring in a lot of UDFA's because they likely hood of them making the team with a limited off-season is very low

3) I really hope we are actively looking. I feel like we are falling short. Not by much, but enough. Our division got better, in my opinion.

4) I like that approach. Thought at the weekend it was a apparent plan to keep numbers down. Got to think the ones we brought in were very targeted and have every chance of making the PS at the very least.

rivera's become a 'bff of the show" per the gmfb crew, and i hope you guys get to see this morning's appearance

he's such a step up just in terms of on-camera from anyone we've had in forever, inc. gibbs...i ain't saying that has anything to do with winning, other than the fluid intellect, stability, and social demeanor/communication skills of the man bodes well in general to any line of work/project he'd engage

more specifically football wise---he said he has thought about cam, at this point he isn't saying he absolutely would or wouldn't, but that it was a matter of circumstances and seemingly left it open there as though given some new development it's still on the table (i'm doubtful, but he hasn't closed the door)...this was after giving a brief, fairly positive, and hopeful take on haskins, but not what i'd call enthused and no "oh yeah he's our guy, period"

i wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but see it for yourself

he also rocked this custom made hawaiian shirt with redskins logos mixed in as a salute to his mentor andy reid...it was one he had made to wear as a way of congratulating reid on his sb win but the league meeting he would have worn it at was cancelled due to the virus and he wore it on air instead

very cool,...he spoke very highly of reid's impact on him

16 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

more specifically football wise---he said he has thought about cam, at this point he isn't saying he absolutely would or wouldn't, but that it was a matter of circumstances and seemingly left it open there as though given some new development it's still on the table (i'm doubtful, but he hasn't closed the door)...this was after giving a brief, fairly positive, and hopeful take on haskins, but not what i'd call enthused and no "oh yeah he's our guy, period"

totally agree. Just watched the interview. Most definitely left open. Very watchable is Rivera. Pretty cool he has such a great relationship with Reid. I’m sure Reid gave some sound advice when we were looking at the Chiefs free agents, given we signed one in Fuller and thankfully gave a wide berth to another CB.

Declining fosters option was to be expected.  He needs to show he can be a valuable contributor first.  Hopefully he is able to make an impact this year, and we can negotiate a fair extension at that time if need be.  If we see him as a guy we want to be part of our core moving forward, we have the cap room to make it work.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Declining fosters option was to be expected.  He needs to show he can be a valuable contributor first.  Hopefully he is able to make an impact this year, and we can negotiate a fair extension at that time if need be.  If we see him as a guy we want to be part of our core moving forward, we have the cap room to make it work.

If theres football,  I doubt he will play it this year.

I would really like to know what our new defensive coach thinks of Foster right now.  Does he view him as a complete knucklehead or does he think he is

worth keeping him on the team?  If he cannot be a starter then is he worth keeping as a backup given how much you would have to pay him?

Very much liked the Rivera interview. He just comes off a straight up guy. No BS with him. He is what you see. 

I will say though that outside a major injury i would be very disappointed if Cam makes it here. The drama alone is not worth it. 

For 6 years under Gruden (and before him too, but this really became an issue under him) we were constantly asking what our identity was. There wasn't one--from the top down, we were an aimless dumpster-fire of an organization. At least initially, it looks like that's changing.

18 hours ago, sportsnut said:

http://kcmsports.com/2020/05/01/trent-williams-was-turned-off-by-ron-rivera-saying-prove-yourself-in-meeting/

Trent didn’t like how Rivera wanted him to prove himself...but he was fine with Lynch saying the same.

Williams best days are behind him, he hasn't played since the  2018 season. Allen cost us big time, were lucky 

we got a 5th and a third in 2021. Lets hope those bad player deals are behind us. HTTR

On 5/1/2020 at 8:25 PM, sportsnut said:

http://kcmsports.com/2020/05/01/trent-williams-was-turned-off-by-ron-rivera-saying-prove-yourself-in-meeting/

Trent didn’t like how Rivera wanted him to prove himself...but he was fine with Lynch saying the same.

Figured it was something like that. Even more glad he's gone now.

In the real world, if there's a house cleaning, proving your worth to the new folks in charge should be everyones goal. People that think they have nothing left to prove don't belong with a team like ours

As Lynch references there, integrity is a factor in negotiations-trust.  It's part of the reason why I think Rivera is going to be quite the asset if Dan stays out of his way.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/04/john-lynch-san-francisco-49ers-offseason-reload

....Two relationships became critical: one with Staley, and the other with Washington coach Ron Rivera. In the case of the former, Staley keeping his plans quiet during the first and second days of the draft helped the Niners keep chatter on their newly-urgent need to a minimum. In the case of the latter, trust between Lynch and Rivera would prove integral. And that really started with Lynch calling Rivera, telling him he’d like to get a deal for Trent Williams done before the draft, and Rivera having to come back with bad news before Round 1.

“We got there, and Ron just said, ‘There’s too much interest, John, we’re not gonna get it done prior to the draft,’” Lynch said. “So that was tough, we were taking on a lot of risk not knowing if we had Trent Williams, because we liked some of those tackles too.”

Add to that, this: There were plenty of moving parts in the Williams deal, not the least of which were the fractured relationships between Washington owner Dan Snyder, and both Williams and Shanahan (who was the OC in Washington under his father, Mike, from 2010–13). Long story short, everyone involved was acutely aware that the team doing a deal would be, in essence, Snyder giving both Shanahan and Williams what they wanted, which made things inherently fragile. That’s where trust would play a role.

“It’s very frustrating when, on Day 1, we tried to finish it before the draft, and other teams entered the fray,” Lynch said. “And then it’s, ‘Come on, Ron, we can’t go into this draft not knowing whether we have him or not.’ But Ron, to me, just has tremendous integrity. I’ve known him for a long time, so I knew that it was gonna be for the right reasons, if we didn’t get him.”

...The 13th overall pick

So here’s the first place where Lynch’s faith in Rivera came into play. The tackles didn’t come off the board quite as the Niners expected. Lynch felt strongly that Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs, Georgia’s Andrew Thomas and Alabama’s Jedrick Wills would be gone by the time San Francisco got on the clock, and maybe Louisville’s Mekhi Becton would be there.

Friday and Saturday

Previous maneuvering left the Niners with no picks in the second and third rounds, and the Williams trade twisting in the wind. “Day 2 was just kind of a long day,” Lynch said. San Francisco’s offer for Williams on Friday, its 5 this year and a 3 next year, didn’t change, in part because it couldn’t change much. The 5 was the highest 2020 pick they had, and adding it to the 3 nudged the Niners past what they believed was the field for Williams.

And that all sounded good. But it didn’t make the waiting any easier, with the knowledge that they didn’t have Staley, and might not get Williams.

“It was the best we could do, really,” Lynch said. “I think at that point … that’s what delayed us, the other teams, I can’t speak for them, but some other teams said, ‘Hey, we might get some picks here that would enable us to go do something.’ Washington, probably rightly so, exercised some patience to try to get the best thing they could for their organization, and ultimately our offer was.”

Rivera called on Saturday morning, paying off the trust that Lynch and Co. had shown in him to keep his word to them. Williams would be a Niner.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:18 AM, HigSkin said:

4)  They didn't bring in a lot of UDFA's because the likely hood of them making the team with a limited off-season is very low

This is what I figured when I read the team brought in so few UDFAs.

With no OTAs or mini-camps this offseason, it would be hard to fully gauge these players.

I suppose they could've brought in a bunch anyway, but with no real way to vet them, it seems like it would've been a pointless process.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As Lynch references there, integrity is a factor in negotiations-trust.  It's part of the reason why I think Rivera is going to be quite the asset if Dan stays out of his way.

But Mike Florio said that the 9ers played us like a fiddle. Is that not accurate? Don't tell me PFT wrapped facts around their narrative, rather than their narrative around the facts. I couldn't handle that sort of shock to my system.

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

But Mike Florio said that the 9ers played us like a fiddle. Is that not accurate? Don't tell me PFT wrapped facts around their narrative, rather than their narrative around the facts. I couldn't handle that sort of shock to my system.

I do not think that's accurate at all. It was a decent trade for both. And it was about all the SKins could get clearly. Allen hosed it up when he didn't move Trent last year and Trent or his agent made it harder leaking all the stuff making it clear there was no chance he would stay in Wash. 

I am just glad the saga is over. I supported Trent at the start and still believe at least in the beginning this was partly about the medical staff. But as it went on he handled it poorly - mind you the Redskins did also. When both sides handle things poorly, the only good outcome is separation at all cost. So they got a 5th this year and a 3rd next. It is not nothing by any means and he is out of the building. 

But playing the Redskins like a fiddle? That's bull****. 

Archived