Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

JSSkinz

I hate to bag on Jay, because I liked the guy, but he was in no way the dude for the job and should not have been the hire.

Look at the difference between his press conferences "we have to check the tape" vs one of Rivera's.

I get that Jay was worn down by year 5 and was ready to move on, but this PC of Rivera's was in 2018, well over 7 years into his tenure and after a loss to the hated rival Falcons:

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

But Mike Florio said that the 9ers played us like a fiddle. Is that not accurate? Don't tell me PFT wrapped facts around their narrative, rather than their narrative around the facts. I couldn't handle that sort of shock to my system.

@goskins10 summed it up well for me.  Yeah if this was the 2019 season, SF played us.   But as for 2020, as Kyle Smith said himself Trent was devalued at that point.  So I think they did fine in the context of 2020.  And it was a good sign IMO that they put the team before emotion-grudges.  So I am with the camp that's been saying that trading with SF is a strong signal that we indeed have a culture change. 

I recall Del Rio saying part of why he wanted to coach with Rivera is he's a good person and treats people right and he strives to do the same.  Classy tweet there from Del Rio.  IMO part of a culture change is to win and do things in a classy way.  Like the 1980 Redskins. 

Ironically despite his positive message and honorable defense of Manusky, his quote tweet also still acts as a retweet, spreading the narrative he wants to move on from to many many thousands more people lol. He has about twice as many followers as Hogs Haven and is no doubt the largest account to retweet that article since it was published. 

Just kind of a sad irony I couldn't help but point out, his message is a good one.

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Ironically despite his positive message and honorable defense of Manusky, his quote tweet also still acts as a retweet, spreading the narrative he wants to move on from to many many thousands more people lol. He has about twice as many followers as Hogs Haven and is no doubt the largest account to retweet that article since it was published. 

Just kind of a sad irony I couldn't help but point out, his message is a good one.

That's was Galdi's point too with him having a bit fun with it.  But from the interviews I've watched of Del Rio in the past, I think he was genuine, he comes off super classy and has stressed that treating people well is a big thing for him.  I agree it brings more attention to it but I think much of the fan base especially on twitter was already inclined to bash Manusky so it was already on their radar so attempting to shut it down has some value. 

On 5/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, crabbypatty said:

I hate to bag on Jay, because I liked the guy, but he was in no way the dude for the job and should not have been the hire.

Look at the difference between his press conferences "we have to check the tape" vs one of Rivera's.

I get that Jay was worn down by year 5 and was ready to move on, but this PC of Rivera's was in 2018, well over 7 years into his tenure and after a loss to the hated rival Falcons:

I guess you the section of fans that compelled Mr. Snyder to hold on to the terrible mistake that was Jay Gruden?

10 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

I guess you the section of fans that compelled Mr. Snyder to hold on to the terrible mistake that was Jay Gruden?

How did you draw that conclusion with what he said? What i gathered is that he thinks Rivera’s press conferences have been wayyy better than grudens, in tough seasons, which gives him hope for Rivera coaching here

Love CT and I am very sad to see him go, but unfortunately it was time. What he says here though to me is just another indication that the player's didn't like and did not respect Bruce Allen. Don't think CT talks primarily about Gruden here considering he just signed with him in Jacksonville.

We won the NFL offseason simply by firing BA.

The immediate credibility jump you get going from Bruce Allen/Jay Gruden over to Ron Rivera/Jack Del Rio is pretty amazing. Whether or not it translates to the field, we don't know but look at both set of names and let it sink in for a bit. Instant respect from other owners, front office personnel, scouts, agents, coaches and players when you can bring Rivera and Del Rio on board.

Keep your eyes open and don't be blind to what is in front of you when something doesn't feel right. Remember when DeSean was pinching Grudens nipples and people took issue with it, but others thought it wasn't a big deal. Well it is a big deal. It shows a lack of respect. A lack of leadership. Jay was more friend than leader. Similarly to when Kirk was screaming "You Like That", the media felt it was a slight to the front office, yet fans ran to the teams defense to imply it was just Kirk being excited. We know how that story ends.

The team had no leadership or credibility with its own players before. Hopefully River & Co can fix that 'culture'.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:15 AM, dyst said:

The immediate credibility jump you get going from Bruce Allen/Jay Gruden over to Ron Rivera/Jack Del Rio is pretty amazing. Whether or not it translates to the field, we don't know but look at both set of names and let it sink in for a bit. Instant respect from other owners, front office personnel, scouts, agents, coaches and players when you can bring Rivera and Del Rio on board.

Keep your eyes open and don't be blind to what is in front of you when something doesn't feel right. Remember when DeSean was pinching Grudens nipples and people took issue with it, but others thought it wasn't a big deal. Well it is a big deal. It shows a lack of respect. A lack of leadership. Jay was more friend than leader. Similarly to when Kirk was screaming "You Like That", the media felt it was a slight to the front office, yet fans ran to the teams defense to imply it was just Kirk being excited. We know how that story ends.

The team had no leadership or credibility with its own players before. Hopefully River & Co can fix that 'culture'.

I'd add that there was so much respect for Manusky, his new position is Defensive Quality Control Coach for the University of Kentucky Wildcats.  Yes, he went from an NFL Defensive Coordinator to the lowest member possible on a college coaching staff for a second tier SEC school.  

Even Joe Barry, who has historically the worst record for a DC in the HISTORY OF THE NFL, landed a position coach gig in the NFL.

The people in the organization now are at least respected.  Bruce was not well liked or respected by agents or players for the most part.  I think the narrative Jay was the victim died on the vine eventually.  Nobody had any real respect for Manusky at all.  The shining star Kevin O'Connell, who might still be a rising star, couldn't convince Ron to keep him, and then ended up as an offensive assistant to McVay.  Most of the position coaches on defense are out of the league, minus Tomsula who's with Dallas.  (Probably another one or two caught on somewhere, I'm not going to look all of them up.)  

And everything you hear about Kyle Smith and the scouts is positive.  And he seems likable, reasonable, and approachable.  And personally I love the way they are bringing him along.  He can run his organization the way he wants to, but they're not giving him too much too soon.  Ron is clearly the man in charge, and he's delegated a ton to Kyle, but Ron still has the authority, responsibility and the accountability. That might change one day, but for the moment, it takes some of the pressure off of Kyle. 

I have no idea if or when any of this will translate on the field.  To me, just being better prepared should be a + of 1 or 2 wins.  I think the roster is somewhat better, though there are still gaping holes to fill.  They have to fill at least 2 starting OL spots, and the back-end of the secondary is really young and unproven.  Now, they could all gel really well together with significantly better coaching, we'll see.  But it's a complete unknown.

And the biggest unknown at the moment is Haskins.  Do they have the QB of the future?  It's absolutely impossible to say with any certainty in either direction.  Haskins was put in the absolute worst possible situation you can imagine a young QB to be put into.  And then he didn't handle it really well.  He showed a flashes at the end, but he needs to show a lot more before anybody can have confidence he is the guy.

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the topic. The league declined to comment Friday on this specific agenda for Tuesday's meeting. But if the resolutions were to be voted in under the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity, they would work as follows:

• If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.
  •  
  • If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

I just binge watched the Amazon show All Or Nothing when it featured the Panthers, so I could get a better idea of Rivera as a coach and a person. (I know he's been a HC for years, but unless they were playing the 'Skins or it was a playoff game, I never paid much attention to the Panthers.) Seems like a he's a solid guy on and off the job. Has that air of authority that Jay never had, yet seems very open to getting to know his players and looking out for them. I think he's the perfect guy to change the culture in DC. I also think he won't cave in to Snyder when Dan feels the need to stick his head in the room to see what's what. And bringing in Del Rio was such a great move. Our 1 and 2 guys are ex-NFL linebackers who played tough, and I think that's going to rub off on the players.  

On 5/15/2020 at 4:59 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the topic. The league declined to comment Friday on this specific agenda for Tuesday's meeting. But if the resolutions were to be voted in under the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity, they would work as follows:

If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.

•  
  • If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

I don't care if you're skin is purple, this is just wrong.  Keep the rules in place that are fair.  

On 5/15/2020 at 7:46 PM, NYSkins21 said:

Yeah but there's an orange one in the White House. Sorry mods, please dont ban. Cabin fever-induced. 😬

What your saying is wrong!  He's white.  

Archived