Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

JSSkinz

I have lived in the upper Midwest for a few decades of my life and my family for generations. Over the years while on the hunt for various fishing holes I would travel through many reservations on the way. It is interesting that many of the schools team names are the Redskins which they have named themselves yet our NFL team name would be racist. Aside from a few people yelling loudly I don’t believe the Native Americans could find our name offensive/ racist when they are more than willing to name their own educational facilities team the “Redskins”. If they are okay with their youth being raised with “Redskins” as their team name why should anyone else care about our NFL team name? 

Todays political correctness is getting really silly yet wields a powerful voice.

Just my 2 cents and back to an ice cold 🍺

Cleveland Indians on the Forbes MLB Team Valuations List or Fantasy Forecast: Washington Redskins | Dynasty Nerds

I mean, it's not even close which one is overtly racist yet I never hear anything about the Cleveland Indian name or logo.

9 minutes ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

I have lived in the upper Midwest for a few decades of my life and my family for generations. Over the years while on the hunt for various fishing holes I would travel through many reservations on the way. It is interesting that many of the schools team names are the Redskins which they have named themselves yet our NFL team name would be racist. Aside from a few people yelling loudly I don’t believe the Native Americans could find our name offensive/ racist when they are more than willing to name their own educational facilities team the “Redskins”. If they are okay with their youth being raised with “Redskins” as their team name why should anyone else care about our NFL team name? 

Todays political correctness is getting really silly yet wields a powerful voice.

Exactly my thought.

In Arizona, a Navajo high school emerges as a defender of the ...

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jul/02/for-wellpinit-students-redskins-a-source-of-pride/

People who claim they "talked" to Native Americans who were not offended by the name most likely never spoke to Tirbal Leaders and Native American Activists who do in fact say the name is racist.  And that is the point. The name is going to change so let's start thinking of a new name and cool logo.

1 hour ago, redskindan07 said:

That's a good question and something that I've always wanted to know. Seems that the Redskins, Indians, and Seminoles would all in the same boat

How about Chiefs?  Of all of them, chief is the one that I've actually heard used in a derogatory way.

I am a late convert to the party but converted I am— The name should change.

It is well past time to do so. I know most of you disagree and I understand because until recently I was among your number but the time for change is now.

As an African American who has endured a lifetime of subtle and blatant discrimination both personally and professionally I am embarrassed that it took me this long to be awakened. How can I protest and call for change from others when I am guilty of allegiance to a team whose name is by definition a racial epithet. 

If a baseball team were called “The Darkies” I assure you I wouldn’t simply accept that because it wasn’t originally meant to be offensive. (The term darkie like Redskin was not originally considered a pejorative. It was a polite description, particularly prevalent in the south, describing race of people. Today it is clearly an archaic but nevertheless disparaging term.)

“Do unto others as we would have them do unto us.”

2 hours ago, SumTingWong said:

It is well past time to do so. I know most of you disagree and I understand because until recently I was among your number but the time for change is now.

As an African American who has endured a lifetime of subtle and blatant discrimination both personally and professionally I am embarrassed that it took me this long to be awakened. How can I protest and call for change from others when I am guilty of allegiance to a team whose name is by definition a racial epithet. 

If a baseball team were called “The Darkies” I assure you I wouldn’t simply accept that because it wasn’t originally meant to be offensive. (The term darkie like Redskin was not originally considered a pejorative. It was a polite description, particularly prevalent in the south, describing race of people. Today it is clearly an archaic but nevertheless disparaging term.)

I agree 💯.

Has there been any suggestions for the new name?

2 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

I agree 💯.

Has there been any suggestions for the new name?

Only suggestion I would make is that new name has to start with an "R".

Because #HTTR.

That should be mandatory.

Still changing the team name will probably kill the rivalry between Cowboys and Redskins, which is link to US History somehow, and we're the bad guys in this one.

So if Cowboys are America's team, Russians would fit in nicely here.

But that's not great.

So let's go with bad guys starting with an "R".

Rancor comes to mind as a big Star Wars fan.

a57BLY_p2oBzLZ5u2ZoHIBizDaIvwG0V2FPHSy-v

4 hours ago, SumTingWong said:

Your profile name is a bit...ummm

5 hours ago, SumTingWong said:

You also would have a lot fewer than 90 percent of black people not offended by a name like that. There are more native Americans that like the name then those who want it gone let alone those not offended by it.

Its like people are trying to tell native Americans what they are offended by because they can’t figure it out for themselves.

I think until that changes there is no need to change the name.

6 hours ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

The Teton Redskins here in teton valley recently changed to the teton Timberwolves.

I truly believe the team name just might be changed before they play another snap of football..this season is cancelled and prior to the 20212022 season the name is changed.

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Is there anybody here that gets heckled for wearing any skins gear?..or should I say does anyone even wear there skins gear anymore?

Nope, wearing a Redskins shirt right now and was at Dicks Sporting goods today wearing. No one said anything to me. And I will continue to wear it if the name does change.

2 minutes ago, just654 said:

Nope, wearing a Redskins shirt right now and was at Dicks Sporting goods today wearing. No one said anything to me. And I will continue to wear it if the name does change.

Well that's awesome to hear folks still wearing gear...I wear my new hat out all the time..when the name changes I'll wear Redskins gear not the new team gear...well, maybe both..

9 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Is there anybody here that gets heckled for wearing any skins gear?..or should I say does anyone even wear there skins gear anymore?

no, not in a “racist” context at least.

It’s obvious that these major companies are trying to capitalize on the current climate to enhance their bottom line. It has zero to do with racism and waking up to the issues.

FedEx has sponsored our stadium for decades and now all of a sudden has a change of heart. Yeah, ok.

Yep the name is going to change...snyder will change it and get to build a new stadium where RFK stands..better all be thinking of something good...I predict the colors will be the same...the Washington Gunslingers..or the Washington Forefathers..

1 minute ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

If a change is going to be made, just go with no name and let one organically develop. 

is there a rule the team must have a name 

The Washingtons?

38 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

I agree.

It was originally a joke but I see it differently now. It is hypocritical.

I am willing to change it. Can I do that on my own or do I need assistance from a moderator?

I was only teasing, but yea, if you want a change mods can probably do it.

Archived