Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

JSSkinz

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Could be a really interesting game of poker. Goodell has pushed a lot of chips in on the BLM movement. Would he consider this backtracking from it? Does the NFL feel it can assertively support the Redskins at this time?

I have mixed feelings. I still lean towards keeping the name, but largely because the research shows Native Americans don't oppose it. In fact, they have named their own teams on their own reservations Redskins. The history of the name is not clear cut either. And as we all know, Oklahoma translates to land of the Red-Skinned people. So, I think the Redskins' controversy isn't a Native American issue.

That said, if the name changed, and it was changed it's not a hill I would die 

Edited by Otis Wonsley Posse
Not getting banned

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Lol well played sir. I doubt they have long though.

who doesn't have long? The Native American schools that call themselves the Redskins? They will never be forced to change and never will change. 

20 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

My bet is they side with Nike, I wouldn't be shocked if the league doesn't want Snyder to just sell the team at this point. He brings too much toxic **** to the table time after time. 

I've long believed that Snyder was the catalyst to the name hate. He's so dislikeable, he made it worse.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MAATopDogg said:

Interesting. I wonder if they’ll also remove the thousands of children they have working in sweatshops? Or is that fair game still?LOL now Nike has a moral high ground . What Frauds!!!

The Zach Galifinakis takedown of Nike when he was on a conference call with them is pretty savage.

30 minutes ago, Redskinzfan30 said:

Agreed. And I can’t imagine that if Snyder does fight it we win anymore popularity points. It’ll only result in more negative PR for the team

He only comes out to announce a new coach or team president so will it matter?  Ron Rivera is the new fall guy, all team communications are coming out through him anyway.  Snyder's retreated to his own fortress of solitude, wherever that might be.  

I've been through so much trying to support the Redskins, a team with such history, and if they change the name, I'm going to be done.  I won't root for any other NFL teams, and I will still watch the sport, but I don't know........I just feel that this is my team.  I know that some will say a name is a name, but that's just how I'm feeling right now.  Hell, maybe it's the convenient time to give up, especially since I am not a fan of the Rivera hire either.  

In the world of Star Wars, there is a growing rumor online that dissent is happening at Lucasfilm, to the point where Lucas might be coming back, Kennedy might be leaving and using the mirror stuff from Rebels to retcon the sequel trilogy not happening.  I was adamantly against the expanded universe being wiped away and replaced by Disney's new stuff.  I was heavily invested in it- I have all of the novels, played a ton of the video games, etc.  I have all of the new novels and played some of the games, but if they wipe it all away, again, I'm just done.  I just lack the ability to care that much about it.  So I feel the same way about that as I would a name change........I'll just be done with them both if that happens.  

• Like 2

I hope Nike, Fed Ex, the minority stake owner, etc. DO NOT back down. 

The big moment will be if any of the other 31 owners start being asked about this. This can hit them in the wallets for the first time, the way it's going...and Snyder doesn't have many friends. If they come out in support of keeping the name, the entire NFL gets dragged into this and starts dealing with public pressure instead of just Snyder. This could really happen.

Guess how long it will take for the reminders that George Preston Marshall was the last NFL owner to integrate to pop up, and to start comparing him to Snyder? There's no going back once this hits a certain level or publicity, and that's all this festering issue has been waiting for to boil over, for at least a decade.

This can be a good thing. A new name and logo change can bring a freshness and excitement, tied with a new regime/coaching staff. This has been a dark cloud over this franchise for too long and a minority of fans will never get over a change, but you know what, the majority of us will GET OVER IT and continue being fans, maybe with some pep in our step as we waltz into what feels like the first truly new era under Snyder, ever. 

If Snyder is smart and gracious about this it will actually make him a TON of money and probably get him the stadium deal he wants. But he's rarely been good at doing anything but holding ownership of this dying NFL franchise during what happened to be a time in history when the NFL just couldn't lose. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, SumTingWong said:

I am a late convert to the party but converted I am— The name should change.

It is well past time to do so. I know most of you disagree and I understand because until recently I was among your number but the time for change is now.

As an African American who has endured a lifetime of subtle and blatant discrimination both personally and professionally I am embarrassed that it took me this long to be awakened. How can I protest and call for change from others when I am guilty of allegiance to a team whose name is by definition a racial epithet. 

If a baseball team were called “The Darkies” I assure you I wouldn’t simply accept that because it wasn’t originally meant to be offensive. (The term darkie like Redskin was not originally considered a pejorative. It was a polite description, particularly prevalent in the south, describing race of people. Today it is clearly an archaic but nevertheless disparaging term.)

“Do unto others as we would have them do unto us.”

You’re serious??... “sumtingwong.”

Time to clean out Nike, Pepsi and FedEx closet and show some skeletons... speaking of FedEx...

"FedEx CEO Fred Smith was raised on a former Slave Plantation where Blacks were thought of and treated as "Less than Human" by their White Masters over them. Fred Smith and and the KKK together ... fly that "Confederate Slave Flag" Proudly. He has killed at least one innocent Black man and left him Dead on the ground like an animal. And got away with it because he LIED to Police. Today, under CEO Fred Smith, Racist White FedEx management still continues with those beliefs and treats FedEx's Black workers as "less than Human." While White FedEx Management cannot Hang or Whip their Black FedEx workers today, FedEx management does use the "Pen like the Modern Day Whip" to keep them under control and "in their Place." As a former white veteran member of FedEx management stated ...At FedEx corporate meetings (when there were no Blacks around) it was more like a KKK meeting than a company meeting. "

More here in this book (admins, please let me know if I need to delete link or not)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1500143421/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3fP.Eb309DGVG

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You’re serious??... “sumtingwong.”

People growing and changing over the years as they take in new information is a good thing, FYI. There is nothing inherently brave, honorable, or noble about picking a hill to die on no matter what. He wants to change his screen name as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It’s finally happening fellas.  He’s going to have to change the name.  It was inevitable and digging in his pockets was the only way he was ever going to budge.

Washington Warriors.

I can dig it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

How about the Washington Braves!  Could keep the colors, maybe a new logo that is more flattering for those who are offended by it. ANNDDD this would be a way to honor tradition because the team originated in Boston as the Boston Braves.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RedTails. Keep the colors, HTTR, make the name a symbol of racial inclusiveness, rather than the opposite.

The battle was lost a long time ago and it's been a matter of time ever since. Maybe if Snyder had actually done a decent job defending the name it would have mattered, maybe not, But it's a lost battle and the only questions and when, how and to what.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a0tmike21 said:

How about the Washington Braves!  Could keep the colors, maybe a new logo that is more flattering for those who are offended by it. ANNDDD this would be a way to honor tradition because the team originated in Boston as the Boston Braves.  

I’m down with that!  Go with the Florida State Seminoles look with the spear on the helmet!

A25001A7-8C17-46D0-AFDB-4B5622304019.jpeg

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Anything Indian-themed is just going to lead to more trouble down the road. And really, as soon as it's announced it'll be looked at as a half-measure and criticized heavily. 

I don’t agree.  You already have the Golden State Warriors, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Chiefs etc.

• Jumbo changed the title to A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)
  • Jumbo locked this topic