Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

JSSkinz

Just now, evmiii said:

The name change has nothing to do with empathy or a new enlightened perspective, it's all about money.  Nothing would make Danny change the name except money and that is becoming reality.  Danny can use the name change as some leverage for the new stadium and this will happen.  I haven't really heard a name I like, but a new name is coming.

Had it been about money, he should have changed it already.  Changing the name and the logo (done properly, not if we became the Sea Dogs or something stupid) would have been a big cash grab.  Think of all the merchandise people would have to run out and buy.  Think about all the newfound focus on his team.  It most likely would have made him money.

25 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Beginning of the end of...what?  Being a sorry ass sack of a franchise?  Maybe if we get a new name we can shake off some of this nasty stank that this franchise has been carrying since the mid 90s.

The name is the last vestige of when this team didn't suck. This organization has already bled fans the last 2 years, removing that identity isn't going to be as harmless as people think. 

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The name is synonymous with losing, hombre.  

Its also synonymous with some great teams. Granted a long time ago, but still. Changing the name is going to be damaging, just my gut (which is rather large).

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Its also synonymous with some great teams. Granted a long time ago, but still. Changing the name is going to be damaging, just my gut (which is rather large).

I feel like you're Al Pacino, I'm Jamie Foxx and I'm about to tell you that all I see is ghosts.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I feel like you're Al Pacino, I'm Jamie Foxx and I'm about to tell you that all I see is ghosts.

I never saw Any Given Sunday, unfortunately. Just my thoughts on it. I just hope they don't come up with something incredibly lame.

Heartened to find support for the name change here. Posting about it on Twitter brings out a lot of vitriol. I agree with a recent NBC Washington video featuring BMitch in which he said he doesn't believe that Native Americans have truly been represented in the polling about the name and that if we could truly get a large enough poll we would see the support is not there. I agree with others that if the sponsors balk at the name then Snyder will be forced to change. In the end it doesn't matter. #ChangeTheName!

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I never saw Any Given Sunday, unfortunately. Just my thoughts on it. I just hope they don't come up with something incredibly lame.

One of my favs.  Discusses the CTE issue about 15 years before the NFL pretended to care about it, other issues too.  Pacino is good in it, does a lot of Pacino things.  Foxx is good, too.   Whole cast does pretty well, IMO.  

3 minutes ago, Redskinzfan30 said:

Huge about Nike. I don’t see it being a situation where there’s any point in Snyder trying to fight Nike’s decision in a legal battle. We only come out of it further losers 

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1278827865858023425?s=20

I mean maybe we lose the name but we also lose Snyder? 

It's cool that Nike did that but...I mean, they have a licensing agreement with the NFL.  Can they legally just stop selling one team's merchandise based on the fact that they don't like the name? I can't imagine that.  

It's cool that Nike did that but...I mean, they have a licensing agreement with the NFL.  Can they legally just stop selling one team's merchandise based on the fact that they don't like the name? I can't imagine that.  

They probably can't, but the question is whether the NFL would make a stink about it. if the NFL doesn't press the point then NIke can get away with it.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out and who blinks first. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

They probably can't, but the question is whether the NFL would make a stink about it. if the NFL doesn't press the point then NIke can get away with it.

Agreed. And I can’t imagine that if Snyder does fight it we win anymore popularity points. It’ll only result in more negative PR for the team

Just now, Burgold said:

Well Snyder could make a stink about it, in fact I bet he will.  And then what does the NFL do, do they side with one of their owners or Nike?

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I think they can argue that you can buy Nike Redskins gear on other sites. We just choose not to carry it on our site.

Well Snyder could make a stink about it, in fact I bet he will.  And then what does the NFL do, do they side with one of their owners or Nike?

My bet is they side with Nike, I wouldn't be shocked if the league doesn't want Snyder to just sell the team at this point. He brings too much toxic **** to the table time after time. 

Could be a really interesting game of poker. Goodell has pushed a lot of chips in on the BLM movement. Would he consider this backtracking from it? Does the NFL feel it can assertively support the Redskins at this time?

I have mixed feelings. I still lean towards keeping the name, but largely because the research shows Native Americans don't oppose it. In fact, they have named their own teams on their own reservations Redskins. The history of the name is not clear cut either. And as we all know, Oklahoma translates to land of the Red-Skinned people. So, I think the Redskins' controversy isn't a Native American issue.

That said, if the name changed, and it was changed it's not a hill I would die on.

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

My bet is they side with Nike, I wouldn't be shocked if the league doesn't want Snyder to just sell the team at this point. He brings too much toxic **** to the table time after time. 

I agree.  I mean, whether it goes against the agreement that the NFL has with Nike is pretty much irrelevant.  It's the court of public opinion that counts, especially on an issue like this.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Could be a really interesting game of poker. Goodell has pushed a lot of chips in on the BLM movement. Would he consider this backtracking from it? Does the NFL feel it can assertively support the Redskins at this time?

Yep, big poker game here.  

Archived