Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

Okay. When we're not working,(apparently Home Depot is considered an essential business..for now),my wife and I are not leaving the house. We have started the projects. Turning any anxiety in to something positive.  Supplies wise,we're good. I topped off the most important one. Coffee. Got plenty now. ;) 

• Like 4

Just finished our 2nd day of yard work raking & bagging the pine needles & leaves. We need 2 more days of decent weather to get the rest of the yard done. It's been good exercise & helps take our minds off of the situation.

Friday in RVA supposed to be a record 84 degrees for the 1st day of Spring. Gotta figure out a frozen drink to make with the items we have...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Ooooh wow.  Can you sign up for just one month of gamepass?  $10 vs. $30 is kind of a no brainer.  And that's a game once I beat, I'm not going back to it.

I got it for like three months for a $1.  That only works if it's the first time though, if they're still doing that.  It's 5 a month right now for me.

Edited by visionary

44 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Ooooh wow.  Can you sign up for just one month of gamepass?  $10 vs. $30 is kind of a no brainer.  And that's a game once I beat, I'm not going back to it.

They have Yakuza 0 on there, everyone must play this game.

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

This reads like someone with no kids at home. Or maybe older kids?

Older kid not at home. We're semi-retired. No work for at least 2 weeks, probably longer. Sucks because it's unrecoverable. But I know we're in better shape than a LOT of people so we're thankful for that. 

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The way i understand it, is all delivery/pickup options at all grocery/restaurants are still rolling - sometimes with delay, but rolling nonetheless.

On a separate note, I wish you the best on your marriage making it through this.  Sheesh.

Thanks.  We'll be fine, it's just that she seems to be under the impression that peapod orders "come from the factory" so if there's a shortage at the store we'll still get what we've ordered. 

3 hours ago, Mooka said:

I work in grocery and built the online webcart for our store.

People are getting what we got unless they very specifically detail substitute items.

...i also did a pretty half-assed job too. 1 person could do every order in the store before this. Now im seeing alllllllllllll the kinks in the system. FML

So are peapod and similar online orders filled/picked from inventory at the store, i.e. whatever is there from our order on Wednesday at 9:00pm will be in our delivery on Thursday at 8:00am?  Or is the source different?

I'm currently unemployed and terrified of the downtime, so I got a Todoist widget for my home screen that slaps me in the face with everything I want to accomplish every time I power on my phone. There is so much I need to do every day on top of being a father for my 15 month old daughter that I really needed to get it all down. Some daily goals:

1. Looking for some kind of teaching-related employment. At least one application every day no matter what. 

2. Querying my most recent novel to agents. One letter per day until I have six out at a time. Then add another for each response. 

3. Either playing guitar or piano for 30-60 minutes a day. I don't know how to play piano but I want to learn. I'm working on an album of folk rock inspired by Bob Dylan and Gene Clark and I want to add it to my repertoire. I don't intend to do anything with that album except share it with my circle, it's just a hobby, but I like doing it. 

4. Write 1,000 words a day for a short story. Publishing credits are very important in my line of work and short stories are among the easiest ways to do that. I've had a story in my head for a year now about a man who suffers from an immune disorder that was told basically from birth that they were going to die but never did and how they eventually grew to accept uncertainty with age. With COVID-19 upon us, I think it would be very prescient to take this character and place them in the midst of the quarantine as a teenager. It would be very affecting for people to read and cathartic to write. 

5. Aerobic exercise for lung and cardiovascular health, at least 15-30 minutes a day. 

6. Pick up my old meditation habits, about 15-20 minutes each day. 

There are a few other things on the list, but those are some big ones. If I stay on track, that's 5 hours right there on top of my caretaking responsibilities. I should NOT be bored in quarantine under any circumstances. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The wife made corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots this morning and it really hit the spot. It's been raining every day here in LA and something warm with lots of protein and umami was perfect. 

Once the panic shopping goes down a bit, I'd like to start cooking more. It's healthier and passes the time. 

• Like 4

I was shocked how much food I found at my local Safeway on my way home from work. I swung by a Giant that is on the way home and it was cleared out and kind of creepy.  No meat other than a few sausage packs, most aisles were like 75% empty, etc.  They were restocking frozen pizzas though so I got 4 of those and some sodas to mix with my captain morgan.  Also got some OJ.

Safeway I got bread, eggs, spaghetti noodles and sauce, pork chops, skirt steak, 4lbs of ground turkey, mangos, clementines, and few other little things.  I only went in for a few things and was surprised how much I could get.

Edited by purbeast

I was thinking earlier that I should have gotten corned beef, but we're probably making Shepard's Pie, though we've had that a few times in recent weeks.  I wish I could get an Irish breakfast around here....

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I was shocked how much food I found at my local Safeway on my way home from work. I swung by a Giant that is on the way home and it was cleared out and kind of creepy.  No meat other than a few sausage packs, most aisles were like 75% empty, etc.  They were restocking frozen pizzas though so I got 4 of those and some sodas to mix with my captain morgan.  Also got some OJ.

Safeway I got bread, eggs, spaghetti noodles and sauce, pork chops, skirt steak, 4lbs of ground turkey, mangos, clementines, and few other little things.  I only went in for a few things and was surprised how much I could get.

There's lots of quality food around if you're a bit flexible with what you can eat. I found some good stuff at the store yesterday and it was their last day before restocking. 

Wednesday morning is generally the best time to grocery shop because shipments come in on Tuesdays, at least around here.