Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We’re sitting pretty here guys.

wtfskins

We got the second pick in the draft. In the best year in recent history to have the top two picks.  We finally got what we wanted a 4-3 Defense.  A crop of young talent on the team.  Also the rookie Wrs headed by McLaurin aka lil Monk.  

Let’s not forget one of the greatest Wrs who ever played and probably the most important reason we won super bowls were our Wrs.  Mr. underrated, Mr. under appreciated, Redskin great Art Monk.  With a similar supporting cast btw. We don’t need a wr early you can only get so many targets in a game and for some reason that position in football at all levels creates drama if not getting their targets in today’s football.  

Mr Ryan Kerrigan playing hard in burgundy and gold.  He is under contract he will play for us this year. He is a formidable opponent who I wouldn’t want to see.  I’ll pay to not play against him.  

Two TEs who if are healthy are a matchup nightmare.  TE is one of the most important spots to an offense in today’s NFL.  Elite teams have the best ones.  Hunter Henry is available but Injury prone I sign him or trade for Dallas Goedert might be worth the risk, or draft a stud.  That all depends on Reed and Davis if we choose to resign Davis of course.  

Derius Guice, Peterson, and Love are all good rbs.  Anyways I’m optimistic finally thanks fate.  It owes us for the RG3 Trade.  

Please add to my optimism if I missed anything or any ideas to help bring a better vibe to this organization. 

I'm liking it so far...I love the direction the skins are heading..I imagine the house cleaning and the hiring of Ron has made it more comforting for players like mclaurin knowing that all the hard work and dedication put in could pay off here soon...I hope Reuben Foster is back as well as a.p.....I'd like to see a high profile free agent corner or safety brought in...maybe ron reuniting with norman rejuvenates his career. 

15-1

There's plenty of reason to be optimistic. This team is not a 3 win team. This is probably a 7 or 8 win team as assembled. Poor coaching and culture dragged them down.

I'll be interested to see how they fare in the next few years. Dan is making all the right noises and doing all the right things, maybe he's learned his lesson and this dark cloud over Ashburn will finally go away and we'll see some real progress.

I'm optimistic though. We've got a proven coach and a ton of young talent. The whole front office has been **** canned and all the stuff we've been ****ing about for years is being addressed/changed.

We'll see what the future holds, but I'm excited.

Just the sheer fact that Bruce is gone brings me optimism.  Just the organizational changes alone gives us hope that we haven't had in a very long time.  I agree with the current talent in place we were more likely a 7 to 8 win team. Add some key pieces through the draft and FA and we're even better.  Its been a long time since I drank the koolaid but I've got a big cup of it right now. 

Fans don't talk about being jinxed when their team is run well. I am gonna have to let all that go, this IS a new day/decade and the changes already have to give us genuine hope.

And that's us, people that have been beaten over the head with it for decades, I have to think that the players are sniffing the wind and sensing a whole new range of opportunity.

Hey Scherff,  still looking to move on? Trent, whatchu got to say now? I'd love the chance to talk one-on-one with some of the guys and see what they're really feeling about this.

Yes, there is a ton of work to be done and yes, some familiar names will be moving on but I have to think it won't be out of discouragement or despair that they are being wasted here.

Good time to be a Skins fan..........

I think there is a lot to be optimistic about also. There are some really good young pieces with several holes needing to be filled in. The Redskins are in a good draft position and have a good amount of money to spend in free agency to help fill in some of those holes.

But to the originator of this thread I would ask what two TEs are you speaking of? I would also say, Kerrigan has been a great player for the Redskins,  I hope he can stay healthy and  that his play returns to the level of previous seasons.
All in all very much looking forward to seeing how this team develops. 

9 hours ago, wtfskins said:

Please add to my optimism if I missed anything or any ideas to help bring a better vibe to this organization. 

I admire you're optimism. I really do.

But there are some big asterisks in your scenario:

First one is of course QB. No one knows for certain if Haskins will make it here. No one.

WR: one superb player. The rest are suspect, even if Sims showed some great hustle.

TE: non existent for the moment. This a FA must or very high draft pick.

RB: AP is about to retire. Guice is injury prone and Love is an unknown quantity.

O-Line: too many injuries to make a serious assessment. 

Now the positives

Kicker: solid.

Punter: ProBowl caliber.

Defense: seems legit. Need some LB help, though. Foster should be aun upgrade. 

Coaching staff and FO: likewise, seems legit.

So it seems there's a lot of work to do on offense during the offseason. As many have said, though, this team right now looks much better than 3-13.

A few changes on offense and will get to .500.

12 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

I admire you're optimism. I really do.

But there are some big asterisks in your scenario:

First one is of course QB. No one knows for certain if Haskins will make it here. No one.

WR: one superb player. The rest are suspect, even if Sims showed some great hustle.

TE: non existent for the moment. This a FA must or very high draft pick.

RB: AP is about to retire. Guice is injury prone and Love is an unknown quantity.

O-Line: too many injuries to make a serious assessment. 

Now the positives

Kicker: solid.

Punter: ProBowl caliber.

Defense: seems legit. Need some LB help, though. Foster should be aun upgrade. 

Coaching staff and FO: likewise, seems legit.

So it seems there's a lot of work to do on offense during the offseason. As many have said, though, this team right now looks much better than 3-13.

A few changes on offense and will get to .500.

Agree with most of your assessment.  However I choose to look at this a little differently.  For starters I believe that the new regime will not overvalue the talent & as a result will make legit, objective decisions across the bd.  They didn't draft or trade for any of the current players so they have no emotional investment (unlike Allen & Gruden).  That is a huge positive.

QB certainly - even with the question marks - looks a heck of a lot better than it did at this time last year.  They need to work nonstop with Haskins during the offseason & hope he improves dramatically next season.   If he doesn't - oh well - you make QB your top draft priority for 2021.  WR - while needing improvement - looks much better than last offseason.  I would also state that Harmon has the potential to be a very good WR.  They need some help here but certainly this area is improving.  RB is a question mark, but RB help is easier to find than for just about any position.  OL needs some help, but Flowers was an unexpected positive, Williams may be back & there are some young players who can help.  However they do need to add talent in this area over the next few offseasons.

TE is a problem that will need to be addressed over the next few offseasons & probably time to cut ties with Reed and Davis.  D looks solid especially if they draft Young & if Foster stays healthy.   Adding Del Rio as coach is just a huge improvement on its own.  They obviously need some secondary help but the improved pass rush will assist to a degree in that area.

I am not looking for a playoff appearance next season - just improvement especially with some of the younger players.  IMO this will take a few offseasons to get this rt & fans should not expect all areas to be addressed in one offseason.  We will see.

16 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I agree!  It just stinks that we no longer have our 2nd rounder.  Thanks a lot, Bruce!  😕 

Our second rounder will be in his second year, Montez Sweat, and he's gonna be a better pick than any other player we likely would've drafted. Don't forget, 1st round picks have 5 year rookie contracts while the others have 4 year deals. 

When it's time for our pick in round 2 just imagine the dude at the podium announcing the name Montez Sweat.....this in addition to Chase Young in round 1. The Skins just drafted their bookend pass rushers....check.

4 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

These threads always jinx us....lets sit pretty after at least a division championship and a playoff win... i will say some sense of hope has been restored for me tho

Please tell us how the jinx works? 

I'm not into superstition.

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Our second rounder will be in his second year, Montez Sweat, and he's gonna be a better pick than any other player we likely would've drafted. Don't forget, 1st round picks have 5 year rookie contracts while the others have 4 year deals. 

When it's time for our pick in round 2 just imagine the dude at the podium announcing the name Montez Sweat.....this in addition to Chase Young in round 1. The Skins just drafted their bookend pass rushers....check.

I get that.  And I do like Sweat. I really do!

But I'm thinking... what could have been.  Having the #34 pick would be very valuable.  We could, in theory, move up into the first for a lot cheaper to get someone awesome like Sweat.  It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than what we ended up giving up..... #34.  

I also read that its supposed to be a very deep draft.  So chances are we could have got someone great this year, vs last year, for a lot less draft capital.  

Just my two cents.

While I admire the optimism, I don't think you should expect some kind of instant turnaround, this is going to take time to fix if indeed it can be fixed. The fundamental problem still remains and that's the owner. We've been the laughing stock of the NFL since the took over and I don't see why people think he'll have learned his lesson and have a change of heart now. The way I see it, nothing changes until Snyder sells the team. That's just the reality of the situation.

1 hour ago, ShoutyBearHead said:

While I admire the optimism, I don't think you should expect some kind of instant turnaround, this is going to take time to fix if indeed it can be fixed. The fundamental problem still remains and that's the owner. We've been the laughing stock of the NFL since the took over and I don't see why people think he'll have learned his lesson and have a change of heart now. The way I see it, nothing changes until Snyder sells the team. That's just the reality of the situation.

I hear what you are saying & agree with some of it.  However Snyder at least shows some semblance of giving up control with the latest moves.  They made a considerable amt of changes that I truly believe would not have occurred even a few years ago.,  This likely was heavily driven by bad PR, horrendous crowds, player unrest & horrific on the field results (until this season at least they were mediocre for most of Gruden's tenure).

Completely cutting ties w/ Allen was a huge step.  Giving almost complete control to Rivera was another.  Cleaning house in other areas (FO, training staff, etc) is yet another.  This at least shows that Snyder is willing to change & also give up some control.   Can he go back to his old ways?  Sure - only time will tell, but I don't believe that this offseason could have gone any better given what has transpired over the last several years.  Let's just let this play out for a few years before jumping to conclusions (& I agree that this will take time).

I just don't get folks always asking for Snyder to sell the team.  We all know that will never happen so why get your hopes up?  Just accept the fact that he owns the team & hope that they can do well in spite of him.  I now have hope that this team will at least head in the rt direction.  Call me stupid, but I would rather feel this way then just always lament that this team will never, ever have a chance.  HTTR.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's very likely that neither of those TE's is on our roster opening day 2020.

That's what I was thinking...we lost both tight ends to concussions right?..reed...what a shame..I was thinking about that AGAIN the other day..looking his best in t.c scince '15 than bam..and I imagine vernon is thinking about the big r word..how bout that dude we got from indy..he looked decent I thought..any who I see a over haul at that position..but who knows I'd sure like some news on what's going on with reed..I'm sure ron is evaluating it and if reed wants and can continue to play maybe coach hangs on to him...if hes good to go he can be a huge asset.

4 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

I get that.  And I do like Sweat. I really do!

But I'm thinking... what could have been.  Having the #34 pick would be very valuable.  We could, in theory, move up into the first for a lot cheaper to get someone awesome like Sweat.  It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than what we ended up giving up..... #34.  

I also read that its supposed to be a very deep draft.  So chances are we could have got someone great this year, vs last year, for a lot less draft capital.  

Just my two cents.

You may be right, but I'm confident that Sweat is going to be a great pro with JDR coaching him up. I love that RR coached Peppers and that he'll have that experience to use when coaching Sweat and hopefully Chase Young.

4 hours ago, ShoutyBearHead said:

When you stop and look at it, the most of the moves that have been made were pretty blatantly obvious.

Should we fire Bruce?  Yeah no kidding

Hire ron Rivera?  He was one of the biggest names available

Promote Kyle Smith?  A lot of ppl on here were clamoring for that

Are we really that excited for Scott Turner and the positional coaches?

I am very optimistic about where we are heading, but to me, the only moves that weren't obvious were:

1.  Bringing JDR on board as DC.  great track record of success, coordinator hires like that can be huge.

2.  Losing out and getting the #2 pick and hopefully chase young.  Getting those types of players aren't an option all too often.

This will be a big offseason for us.  Important FA decisions to be made, and we need midround picks to contribute.

Sure beats sitting back and waiting to see what Bruce will do.

19 hours ago, wtfskins said:

Also the rookie Wrs headed by McLaurin aka lil Monk.  

I know you meant this as a compliment, but no. 

Just like you wouldn't call Art Monk "Lil Bobby Mitchell", let Terry McLaurin make a name for himself. 

HTTR :815:

:229:The Rook

Archived