Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Makes you wonder how it is all going to end. Whether 100 years or 10,000 years from now, humanity will die out. Will it be from disease? Or will we run out of water and food? Will the planet get too hot? Will we run out of oxygen? Will a gigantic comet hit earth and vaporize us all? Wish I could witness it. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Makes you wonder how it is all going to end. Whether 100 years or 10,000 years from now, humanity will die out. Will it be from disease? Or will we run out of water and food? Will the planet get too hot? Will we run out of oxygen? Will a gigantic comet hit earth and vaporize us all? Wish I could witness it. 

I don’t think it will be from disease.

After a while you loose so many people that it becomes difficult for the virus to spread....

knock from 6billion to 1billion is easy, killing off the last billion gets a lot harder to do.

I’m going “something from space”.... aliens, asteroids, or the sun failing.

Also, in the US 61,000 people died from the flu last year and 80,000 people died the year before that. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sun failing or simply lowering output are my choice.

of course we are due for other disasters that can cascade.

add

more on topic

Any thoughts on whether the CDC should declare a emergency yet?....I saw Schumer calling for it.

Edited by twa

30 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t think it will be from disease.

After a while you loose so many people that it becomes difficult for the virus to spread....

knock from 6billion to 1billion is easy, killing off the last billion gets a lot harder to do.

I’m going “something from space”.... aliens, asteroids, or the sun failing.

Also, in the US 61,000 people died from the flu last year and 80,000 people died the year before that. 

And beyond that just the variation in the human population makes it almost impossible for a virus to infect and kill all of us.  Even something like Ebola only kills 90% of the people it infects, and then there are other people that are resistant even though they've never had Ebola.

https://en.ird.fr/the-media-centre/scientific-newssheets/337-possible-natural-immunity-to-ebola

(The only way we go extinct through disease is if we genetic engineer the natural diversity out of the human population.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Destino said:

infectious during incubation period means people that do not show any symptoms are already contagious, right?  That seems like a significances, and decidedly bad, development. 

certainly makes screening for it difficult w/o shutting down travel, you would need timed group isolation.

20 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Hard to say because of our adaptability and resiliency as a species.  Unless the human population actual goes to zero, I wouldn't count us out regardless of the situation.  I'd say disease has highest probability to risk ratio right now. 

As my friend says, the thing to look for is the death rate in the US, China will never admit to this, then we have to step back and compare this number to how many people say die from the flu every year.  

One thing I didnt think about is as bad as China is in how they deal with things, i know they will do everything in their power to keep this from getting out of control, ethical or not.  Its sick, but dont be shocked if they jus start killing folks to stay ahead of it, lines we might not cross but from a species survival standpoint will be looked at as pragmatic. I'm not saying I agree with them doing that, jus something to ponder.

12 hours ago, Destino said:

infectious during incubation period means people that do not show any symptoms are already contagious, right?  That seems like a significances, and decidedly bad, development. 

i don’t believe it’s that uncommon for virus. You can spread flu 24 hours before symptoms, for example. 

But yes it’s bad. 

I can’t say much but I can tell you the health department is tracking people. They’re finding people and telling them to report to the hospital. I imagine they’re tracking based on flights and customs checkins but I do not know for sure. 

53 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

one of the first things trump did was cut the budget for overseas outbreak control

i don’t think we had people in China do to our relationship with China,  but I know we had to shut down a lot of outposts in Africa  

of course our fellow conservative champion it as cutting unnecessary costs. 

22 hours ago, abdcskins said:

My money is we'll go the same way as the dinosaurs (evolution).

14 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

I don’t think they know how it spreads.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do know who it spreads (It is a type of corona virus and they have long known how they spread). They just don't know when in spreads (ie the period it begins to be contagious once contracted).

Edited by nonniey