Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic


China
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok...so just to give ya a bit more of the seriousness and what measures China is doing. We were just told that there are areas of China that are now under work stoppage and factories were told to remain closed until beginning of Feb. I was told by one of our factories not to even attempt to go there until the all clear is given. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

Ok...so just to give ya a bit more of the seriousness and what measures China is doing. We were just told that there are areas of China that are now under work stoppage and factories were told to remain closed until beginning of Feb. I was told by one of our factories not to even attempt to go there until the all clear is given. 

 

 

I don't understand how you can control an outbreak like this (assuming its transmission rate is equivalent to an average flu) in a city of 11 million people.  BTW-  I had no idea Wuhan even existed until all of this broke loose.  China has some seriously packed cities, New York is about 8 million (according to the same website, i know, i know.....  there's different methods to measuring a city's population blah blah blah).

 

Oh, and it looks like about half the population left before the Wuhan was quarantined. 

 

https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/half-of-wuhans-population-fled-town-before-lockdown-raising-risk-of-spread/

 

If, of course, you trust the NYPost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kfrankie said:

 

I don't understand how you can control an outbreak like this (assuming its transmission rate is equivalent to an average flu) in a city of 11 million people.  BTW-  I had no idea Wuhan even existed until all of this broke loose.  China has some seriously packed cities, New York is about 8 million (according to the same website, i know, i know.....  there's different methods to measuring a city's population blah blah blah).

 

Oh, and it looks like about half the population left before the Wuhan was quarantined. 

 

https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/half-of-wuhans-population-fled-town-before-lockdown-raising-risk-of-spread/

 

If, of course, you trust the NYPost.

I was just giving you guys some insight of what they are doing, and that if they are taking these actions....its serious.

 

I've already been saying..its too late. People got worried there was going to be quarantines and they left

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I was just giving you guys some insight of what they are doing, and that if they are taking these actions....its serious.

 

I've already been saying..its too late. People got worried there was going to be quarantines and they left

 

Well, this could get ugly within China.  I can't imagine that the "People's Armed Police" are going to take kindly to civilians circumventing the quarantine lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CHINA CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK UPDATES CAN NOW BE TRACKED LIVE ONLINE WITH THIS DASHBOARD

 

An online tool that provides live updates on the spread of the new coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan, China, in December last year has been developed by scientists. The virus, which causes pneumonia-like symptoms, has so far been detected in at least 11 countries, with almost 4,500 cases confirmed.

 

Experts at Johns Hopkins University's Center for Systems Science and Engineering created the dashboard to track reported cases of the infection. The information is also available as a Google spreadsheet.

 

The webpage includes the total number of deaths, confirmed cases, and the number of people who have recovered from the virus which has been linked to a wholesale seafood market in Wuhan, where live animals were sold. The information is plotted on a map, as well as in tables on either side.

 

The dashboard works by pulling in and visualizing data from official bodies including the World Health Organization (WHO), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the U.S., Europe, and China, as well as China's National Health Commission.

 

Link to Coronavirus Dashboard

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, China said:

 

The dashboard works by pulling in and visualizing data from official bodies including the World Health Organization (WHO), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the U.S., Europe, and China, as well as China's National Health Commission.

 

Link to Coronavirus Dashboard

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

 

Good link.  But I can see a problem right away.  They spell Wuhan as "Jingmen."  So all the people in Wuhan are going to think they're in the clear because they're not on the map.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

 

Well, this could get ugly within China.  I can't imagine that the "People's Armed Police" are going to take kindly to civilians circumventing the quarantine lines.

Lol read the news. 1 in France tricked them and they already know other people did. Dont think it mattered much then...now however they are shutting things down all over

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

 

Good link.  But I can see a problem right away.  They spell Wuhan as "Jingmen."  So all the people in Wuhan are going to think they're in the clear because they're not on the map.

But they wouldn't be reading it in English, would they? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kfrankie said:

 

Good link.  But I can see a problem right away.  They spell Wuhan as "Jingmen."  So all the people in Wuhan are going to think they're in the clear because they're not on the map.

 

Actually the dots are not the towns but the center of the provinces.  If you click on each one it states the province/state.  So the one you see as Jingmen is really Hubei province, which includes Wuhan.  Same with all the others.  They are in the center of each province.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

White House tells airlines it may suspend all China-US flights amid coronavirus outbreak

 

White House officials have told U.S. airlines the Trump administration is considering suspending flights from China to the U.S. amid an escalating outbreak of a new coronavirus that has infected thousands of people across the world, people familiar with the matter said.

 

The Trump administration is looking at a variety of measures to contain the fast-spreading virus, U.S. health officials told reporters on a conference call Tuesday.

 

White House officials called executives at major U.S. carriers on Tuesday, telling them that a temporary ban on China flights is on the table, according to people familiar with those conversations.

 

As of Tuesday evening, the Trump administration had not taken that step and there was no guarantee that it would do so.

 

Two of the people said the White House told them it doesn’t immediately plan to ban China air travel, but administration officials are constantly evaluating the situation. 

 

United Airlines, which has the most service of the U.S. airlines to Hong Kong and mainland China with about a dozen daily flights, on Tuesday announced it would cancel dozens of flights next month to Hong Kong and mainland China as the outbreak worsens. The Chicago-based airline said it has experienced a “significant decline in demand for travel to China.” United and its rivals Delta and American are waiving cancellation and change fees for travelers booked to China.

 

The restrictions could affect flights into and out of China, as well as airports across the United States, administration officials said. They declined to be named because no final decision has been made.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, twa said:

I would bet the number of deaths is significantly higher than reported from their actions.

Actions do seem to be wildly out of step with the numbers we’re seeing.  They’ve placed tens of millions of people under quarantine.  They’re expediting the construction of a new hospital and closing down businesses.  This is a massive response relative to the reported numbers of a few thousand infected and about 100 dead.  
 

I don’t remember the response to MERS or SARS being this drastic.  I could be wrong though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Actions do seem to be wildly out of step with the numbers we’re seeing.  They’ve placed tens of millions of people under quarantine.  They’re expediting the construction of a new hospital and closing down businesses.  This is a massive response relative to the reported numbers of a few thousand infected and about 100 dead.  
 

I don’t remember the response to MERS or SARS being this drastic.  I could be wrong though.  

 

I think it's interesting that if you go to the Dashboard link I posted that the number of dead from this virus is higher than the number recovered from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

But they wouldn't be reading it in English, would they? 

 Maybe Jingmen spells Wuhan in Chinese.  I'll try arranging the letters vertically to see.

10 hours ago, China said:

 

Actually the dots are not the towns but the center of the provinces.  If you click on each one it states the province/state.  So the one you see as Jingmen is really Hubei province, which includes Wuhan.  Same with all the others.  They are in the center of each province.

 

Ha.  I was being a bit sarcastic, but at any rate thank you for the iink and your insight of this stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, China said:

White House officials have told U.S. airlines the Trump administration is considering suspending flights from China to the U.S. amid an escalating outbreak of a new coronavirus that has infected thousands of people across the world, people familiar with the matter said.

 

The Trump administration is looking at a variety of measures to contain the fast-spreading virus, U.S. health officials told reporters on a conference call Tuesday.

 

White House officials called executives at major U.S. carriers on Tuesday, telling them that a temporary ban on China flights is on the table, according to people familiar with those conversations.

. . .

 

The restrictions could affect flights into and out of China, as well as airports across the United States, administration officials said. They declined to be named because no final decision has been made.

 

Wow, those "Administration Officials" are really going out on a limb here.  Good thing they didn't give their names.  Luckily for them, I'm willing to go on the record, and will say that a temporary suspension of flights to China will affect flights into and out of China.  I hope I don't get doxxed for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday my wife and i are invited to a friend's annual Chinese New Year party..  usually a pretty big gathering, many Chinese, and many are well traveled to and from. 
We go every year, and the food is out of this world good.
My wife today called our host and told her we may not be coming.. she faked a possible flu to make her excuse.

Can't say I'm terribly upset.. but for the food.

 

~Bang

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, skinsmarydu said:

They showed it on TV the other day, about 30 excavators, front loaders, & such were all moving around a plot of land. That's their advantage, their population. They can build a state of the art hospital in probably a week. 

 

They converted an existing building in two days.  They are building 3 other hospitals though.

 

China opens 1,000-bed coronavirus hospital after just 48 hours of construction

 

The Dabie Mountain Regional Medical Centre started receiving patients at 10.30pm last night after workers spent just 48 hours converting an empty building. More than 500 construction workers, electricians and police worked around the clock to open the hospital in the Huangzhou District. It was originally intended to be a hospital that would open in May, but faced with the growing threat of the spread of coronavirus they managed to complete the task much sooner. Local authorities announced on Friday that the building would be converted and work started on Saturday.

 

Yesterday, it had water, electricity and internet, ready for patients. An even more ambitious building project is underway in Wuhan itself where authorities have given a deadline of Monday for another large hospital in the city. Four hospitals are being built in super-quick time, using pre-fabricated buildings and modelled on a medical centre built in Beijing in 2003 in seven days to tackle SARS. The death toll in mainland China following the outbreak of coronavirus has risen to 132 while nearly 6,000 people are infected, authorities have said. There were 26 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours, with all but one recorded in Hubei province.


Click on the link for the full article

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...