Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

What the actual ****?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/22/coronavirus-blood-clots/

One month ago when the country went into lockdown to prepare for the first wave of coronavirus cases, many doctors felt confident they knew what they were dealing with. Based on early reports, covid-19 appeared to be a standard variety respiratory virus, albeit a contagious and lethal one with no vaccine and no treatment. They’ve since seen how covid-19 attacks not only the lungs, but also the kidneys, heart, intestines, liver and brain.

Increasingly, doctors also are reporting bizarre, unsettling cases that don’t seem to follow any of the textbooks they’ve trained on. They describe patients with startlingly low oxygen levels — so low that they would normally be unconscious or near death — talking and swiping on their phones. Asymptomatic pregnant women suddenly in cardiac arrest. Patients who by all conventional measures seem to have mild disease deteriorating within minutes and dying at home.

With no clear patterns in terms of age or chronic conditions, some scientists hypothesize that at least some of these abnormalities may be explained by severe changes in patients’ blood.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, twa said:

they should run some random test sampling as polling and let 538 sort it out

This might be the second time I've said this about one of your posts, in a month.  

Maybe I'm coming down with something.  

But yeah, I was wondering about that.  Polling companies' entire business model is built around sampling a small (but very carefully selected) fraction of the population, to draw conclusions about the population as a whole.  

Granted, they said Hillary was going to win, too.  

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I mean on one hand, it's good news (the more things we find out about the virus, the better we can treat it) but yeah, its unsettling. My uncle already has to take blood thinners for anti-phospholipid syndrome

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Good god, Trump now talking over Birx while she’s at the podium.  No matter your political affiliation, I just cannot grasp how anyone could like this guy in any capacity.

snaps-about-nbc-news-special-event-on-sn

• Haha 5

This is very, very good news:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/coronavirus-saliva-tests-could-be-as-accurate-or-better-than-nasal-swabs-yale-researchers-say.html

Saliva tests for Covid-19 could be at least as accurate — possibly more so — than the commonly used nasal swab tests in screening for the coronavirus, new research from Yale University shows.

The researchers said their findings suggest that saliva samples could be used for at-home coronavirus tests on a large scale nationally. 

We can ramp up testing by orders of magnitude if it's as simple as having people spit into a cup at home. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, visionary said:

Called it. 

Though I figured Trump would wait until after things started getting really bad there. He's probably been told that it will happen by his medical experts, so he's trying to get out in front of it. 

• Sad 2