Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

No idea what the leadership in NY is thinking today. 

Ooph. That’s a gut shot. As a healthcare worker in private practice who has invested the last 15 years of my life, but present circumstances deemed non-essential.

Especially when this is not even organic, but government mandated.

Especially when the LCBO, our government-run liquor store chain, remains an essential service.

I get what he’s saying. And yes, there’s a whole lot of truth in it.

But we can’t all be firemen, cops, nurses/docs, pharmacists, civil servants, bankers, mechanics and grocery store clerks/truckers can we? 😂

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Wonder how things are going in wuhan, now that they are about a week-two from when they decided to open... I would expect cases there to start spiking if it turns out opening places like Georgia is doing is a mistake..

1.  Movie theaters are still closed through all of China.  "Opening" in Wuhan meant you could leave your house and things like grocery stores would open and that you could leave Wuhan and travel to other parts of China and vice versa.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/22/china-movie-theaters-closed-hollywood-studios/

Drive in movies are open in S. Korea.

https://www.ft.com/content/86c6f0a4-3ca0-4bb2-b627-52d808d85954

2.  I'll guarantee you a lot larger percentage of people in Wuhan had it and then likely have some immunity than in Georgia.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bcl05 said:

It's certainly unusual (for comparison, SARS has peak shedding approximately 7 days AFTER symptom start).  

This is pretty clear in the data now, for COVID19, and is why this thing is so hard to contain.  Its why we ALL need to be isolating/distancing, washing hands, wearing masks, etc, and not just the sick or vulnerable.  

Man, shedding the most before the Host shows symptoms to cause maximum spread is something I would do if I was a virus to ensure maximum spread before staying home sick.

I guess viruses typically not doing that makes sense based on me being used to dealing with stuff like Flu and Cold, but that just means that kind of evolutionary leap to start after max buildup but before symptoms seemed inevitable.  

Nature is one bad motha...i still believe the scientific community when they say this particular virus wasn't designed by people. But damn, that is not going to help that conversation, do any other viruses actually do that or is that actually new?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

@No Excuses Do you know which company is making that specific vaccine?  I'm making a quick buck on this news the last few weeks lol.  

Well if you read the article linked, it is being produced primarily by the Chinese government (Ministry of Health).  Unless you can get stock in Sinovac Biotech Ltd.

Sinovac Biotech Ltd, Beijing, China 2 Key Laboratory of Human Disease Comparative Medicine, Chinese Ministry of Health, Beijing Key Laboratory for Animal Models of Emerging and Remerging Infectious Diseases, Institute of Laboratory Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Comparative Medicine Center, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China. 3 CAS Key Laboratory of Infection and Immunity, National Laboratory of Macromolecules, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China 4 Department of Microbiology, Zhejiang Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Hangzhou, China 5 National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Changping, Beijing, China 6 Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Beijing, China. 7 Division of Respiratory Virus Vaccines, National Institute for Food and Drug Control, Beijing, China.

Edited by China
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

White House Economic Adviser Larry Kudlow said businesses should not be held responsible for employees or customers getting sick as governors move to reopen state economies

OK.  How about the Republican Party?  And Fox News?  

42 minutes ago, visionary said:

Las Vegas offers to be "control group"

Yeah, if I was gonna pick an ideal control group, it would be a place where the vast majority of the customers are from outside my petri dish, and will be returning back where they came from, after their exposure.  

I think Disney should be on that list, for the same reason.  

April 22, 2020 - 72% Of Florida Voters Think Social Distancing Should Continue Into May, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds; Biden Vs. Trump: It's Close

As states face decisions on when to reopen, Florida voters say 72 - 22 percent that Florida should NOT loosen social distancing rules by the end of April, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today. About three quarters of registered voters, 76 percent, say that the state's economy should only reopen when public health officials deem it safe, compared to 17 percent who say it should reopen even if public health officials warn against it.

"The state's stay-at-home order is scheduled to expire at the end of the month of April, but nearly three quarters of Floridians are not ready to drop their guard," said Quinnipiac University Polling Analyst Tim Malloy.

Florida voters also do not expect the coronavirus crisis to end quickly:

- 49 percent expect the crisis to last a few months;
- 26 percent expect the crisis to last more than a year;
- 18 percent expect the crisis to last a few weeks.

Click on the link for more