Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I don’t think we should have done nothing.  The idea of flattening the curve, i didn’t consider until it was explained to me several times here, so I value that.  I understand that there is add risk if everyone goes to the hospital at once, even if most of those people only have mild symptoms, and that might cause additional deaths.

I understand, now, that things are going to get worse. I agree that trump proclaiming it’s over while state governors are trying to control the spread though necessary lockdowns is going to create unnecessary problems for those governors (which will result in more deaths).

My initial thought with the economy issue, is that the collapse of the economy will end up costing lives. However, it turns out that thee isn’t a huge correlation between life expectancy and recessions, and there might even be a positive one....

I agree that Trump is making things worse, but i understand his concern about the economy, beyond the self interest he has in a strong economy.  It’s a reasonable discussion. But the problem with trump is he doesn’t talk reasonable. Which is why we can’t have a reasonable discussion about the economy, health care, gun control, immigration, policing, etc. Just as he has done with the people who works for him, he has done it for all americans. You are either 100 percent in agreement with him, or you are 100 percent his enemy. 

Its not reasonable to assume in two weeks we can expect people to go back work. It’s not reasonable to assume we shut everything down for three months. There is a calculation that needs to be made, but i don’t want to be the one that makes it.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, twa said:

can you source that?.....please

other than the drooling idiots claims.

and of course irrational behavior.

in other words a normal day around here by others than me.

Your entire posting history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

It would be one thing if we tried hard quarantine as best we could and used that time productively to ameliorate as best we could the upcoming surges of infection.

Instead we got half assed social distancing ignored by seemingly half the population with politicians bickering over financial assistance when the real problem is that we can't ****ing test anybody, make any ****ing mask or ventilators, and the ****ing worthless POTUS won't even use the god damn power he has on the books.

So if someone wants to argue that you can't crater the economy forever to save lives, that's an argument you can have.  But before we call it quits on the shutdown, there's gotta be a real shutdown to begin with and the lawmakers and the administration has to use that time to prepare for what's coming down the pipe.  Not half ass a shutdown for two weeks while having dumbass press conference everyday instead of ramping up testing and supplies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, twa said:

which is why they wanna get rid of uber and lyft.

But there are other highly leveraged companies out there too that we need to be aware of though.  Tesla, for example, has 13 billion debt.  Most of it is not due this year, but I don't see people buying Teslas next year either, or the year after.  I hope I am wrong.  

3 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

But there are other highly leveraged companies out there too that we need to be aware of though.  Tesla, for example, has 13 billion debt.  Most of it is not due this year, but I don't see people buying Teslas next year either, or the year after.  I hope I am wrong.  

Tesla also has 8 billion in cash to service the debt.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/23/tesla-is-sound-for-at-least-2-more-quarters-says-baird-analyst/

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So if someone wants to argue that you can't crater the economy forever to save lives, that's an argument you can have.  But before we call it quits on the shutdown, there's gotta be a real shutdown to begin with and the lawmakers and the administration has to use that time to prepare for what's coming down the pipe.  Not half ass a shutdown for two weeks while having dumbass press conference everyday instead of ramping up testing and supplies.

Nope.  

We now have our answer to the question "What would you do, to save, let's say 10,000 American lives?"  

In the case of Trump (and the GOP, and Fox News), the answer is "I'd allow somebody else to shut down their restaurants, in a few places here and there, for two weeks.  And that's all."

• Like 1

Probably the only thing that would convince some people that Trump is wrong about all this is he gets it and dies.

Those folks will then start blaming Dems again until they die, too.  There is something wrong with this country, something not even a global pandemic can get us all to put partisanship aside on for two seconds.

You can't wish these people away, you just have to keep them out of power wherever you can. At some point the media will get bored with this once everyone that can't be saved finally dies and the numbers blur together, whichever comes first.

"One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic."

Then it will be how we teach what happened to the generation that will go through this themselves and it's up to them not to make our mistakes.

I really got nothing positive to add right now, I'll see myself out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The difference between severe quarantine measures universally implemented vs a “let’s just go back to work” approach being pushed by Trump now could be the difference between 10% of our population being infected and 70%. And looking just at fatality rate, ignoring the full gambit of health issues that can be caused by this virus is a myopic view. So while people can try to put a price tag on human lives (what’s 1m eighty year olds dead?), the severe impacts this will have on the rest of society, the survivors, are not something to be trivialized. 

I want to toss my phone out the window every time I see a cowgirl post doing this, just as much as I pray Trump contracts covid ASAP because it might be the only thing that will save us. 

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  I don't think 10% vs. 70% is really true.  People talk about flattening the curve.  That doesn't mean getting fewer infected people, but just spreading out the number of infections.  You still need to get the same number of infected people.  The only question is how fast do you get them.

(Now, that should help save lives in the context of the health care system doesn't get overwhelmed, it gives time to identify best practices and identify drugs (which is already starting to happen), and I guess if you can really really flatten the curve, then there's a chance you can reduce the number of sick by getting a vaccine.

And this is where I sort of agree with @CousinsCowgirl84

If we have to shut everything down for ~12 months that's going to have an economic impact that's going to have a real affect on people's lives and probably things that lead to death (e.g. malnutrition).  The just pull the bandaid off way of thinking is very appealing.  My concern actually is that government pulls the baindaid and let's everything go back to "normal", the virus goes crazy, people then panic, and you get an economic collapse and lots of people sick quickly so more deaths.  You get the worse of both worlds.  If you could somehow ensure me that that the live as normal option would actually result in people living life as normal and not panicking and making things worse, it is something I'd consider more fully.

I think you'll see in a decade historians, economists, and public health officials are going to argue over what was the best option.

(And clearly, not flattening the curve and shutting down enough things to cause a deep recession and even maybe a depression is the worse of both worlds.))

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, twa said:

uber and lyft are delivering food and numerous other things fwih business is booming.

I may be out of work, but my restaurant is doing surprisingly well with just takeout & delivery (we're on 5 delivery platforms).

~As I was typing this, my boss sent an alert that extra shifts have been added, and suggested that folks pick up shifts with the delivery companies and just hang out in our parking lot. 🍕😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Tesla also has 13 billion in cash to service the debt.

They raised 2 billion just a few days ago, but ultimately it is just a luxury product with high debt.

That company has always been highly leveraged. It's not going to survive long. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, twa said:

About as empty a response as I expected....shouldn't be hard for a bright fellow like yourself to find something.

If debating with you was worth it, I'd go through everything to find all the history where you support trump, meanwhile saying that you don't. Your mind is obviously made up when it comes to him and the GOP set to destroy America.  All because when you were young and your daddy told you that the GOP was the way to go. Sorry, but that GOP is dead, and the TOP (trumps old party) is going to destroy middle America with your support. Keep pretending in your mind that you are not part of the problem for never calling them out!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

lotta highly leveraged companies out there...sucks to be them.

of course it is also gonna suck for those that are not with something the govt can take.

make it rain. 🤡

And where I am:  

Gainesville Sun: Local government to residents: Stay home

Alachua County and the city of Gainesville have ordered the closure of all “non-essential” businesses countywide in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, effective midnight.

In a publicized statement Monday, Alachua County and Gainesville city leaders issued a stay-at-home order for residents countywide, and ordered all non-essential businesses to close.

Grocery stores, gas stations, banks, health care providers, mailing services, auto supply stores and laundromats are allowed to remain open — with significant restrictions.

Restaurants are only allowed to have takeout and delivery services.

The restrictions are meant to discourage residents from venturing outside their homes unless they absolutely must.

I know this is not realistic at all, but the ultimate solution may be to test all 300 million like they tested everybody  in Vo, Italy (very small town).  You will obviously need to test a few times. Anybody who enters HAS to be tested.

We are struggling to produce a million test kits, so it is just a dream.

• Like 1