Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

If states close schools for the year, how are people supposed to go to work? 

Majority of families are two working parents, the economy is not going to magically bounce back. I live in MD I know that the all my friends are dual working.  They can’t survive a scenario where they have to stay at home and not have some type of government support. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

How in the world do people support this? Do republicans not have vulnerable people in their family? Even if I supported him, this would be a step way too far!

there are republicans that saw trump for what he was during the election. They basically live in isolation at this point

the rest... it’s just stupidity man. They repeatedly choose arguments that echo what they want to hear over science, data, and facts. 

of course they have vulnerable people in their family

they’d rather say nice things about trump and believe he’s doing a great job than accept that maybe they hitched their cart to the stupid horse 4 years ago, and should wake up now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

True, but this is going to open up states with foolish governors to say "go out, work, party this is not a big deal guys".

Hopefully not. Wonder if the automakers are behind this about face. Guess its gotta be, doubt trump gives a **** about olive garden

Edited by Gibbit
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

If states close schools for the year, how are people supposed to go to work? 

Majority of families are two working parents, the economy is not going to magically bounce back. I live in MD I know that the all my friends are dual working.  They can’t survive a scenario where they have to stay at home and not have some type of government support. 

im very close to telling my employer I cannot work. 

we are two working parent household and my wife works in the medical field and is directly involved in this. So she cannot participate in the running the house at all. 

not sure what the employer will say but we’ve already discussed that we can make it on her income and if the boss isn’t willing to work on this reasonably then I’ll resign. 

Sucks but you play the cards you’re dealt. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

Just now, tshile said:

im very close to telling my employer I cannot work. 

we are two working parent household and my wife works in the medical field and is directly involved in this. So she cannot participate in the running the house at all. 

not sure what the employer said but we’ve already discussed that we can make it on her income and if the boss isn’t willing to work on this reasonably then I’ll resign. 

Sucks but you play the cards you’re dealt. 

That’s the thing, if you don’t have the option and mortgage payments and other debt payments aren’t made you could reasonably have another 2008 housing meltdown. 

No matter what is going to happen spending power is going to be reduced all over. Unemployment is going to rise and in a lot of events older people will likely die. 

6 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:
When you deal with the local epidemic, but gotta worry about importing the pandemic (not even the second wave).

This is the fundamental problem we have now.  This is global.  Even after you've flattened the curve if you re-open your economy, it is going to take back off.

This is where I've said that this doesn't get better until ~30% of the country is immune to it.  If you have medicines to treat that makes it better, but its still an issue.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skintime said:

twa keep insisting that we are overreacting. . 

can you source that?.....please

other than the drooling idiots claims.

and of course irrational behavior.

in other words a normal day around here by others than me.

51 minutes ago, Hooper said:

This kind of thinking is going to be proven tragically wrong for a lot of people.

I forgot the sarcasm tag on my quote.  These past 2 weeks I was shocked that our society was actually going to value life and people over what we think of as a "successful economy".... now that people are seeing the impact... its "throw grandma off the train."

Even people who think our economy is structured poorly has too much debt... even they seem worried about protecting the economy over people.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think we are soon at a cross roads with this. We have two ways to go. 

1. we shut down everything. And I mean everything except groceries stores and pharmacy. We come up with a plan on when your able to go. We do this for 5 weeks. First 2 weeks will flush out the people that currently have it. Weeks 3-4 will be for recovery and for anyone that person gave it to. 5 week recovery. At that point we can quarantine the people that remain sick and the virus should have died out.

2.  The Denmark way. Everyone that is heathy go about your daily life. The high risk post up for 6-12 months. 

I think both ways we end up with many many dead. Just not sure which way is right.

Edited by just654

17 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

It’s not just a Trump/republican problem, Gov Cuomo was on this morning saying the same thing when asked about that tweet from Trump.  Basically, we’ll get back to work and isolate the high risk. 

trying to protect what he has.

9 minutes ago, just654 said:

I think we are soon at a cross roads with this. We have two ways to go. 

1. we shut down everything. And I mean everything except groceries stores and pharmacy.

you cannot for more than a week or so, stores and pharmacies don't have that much stock

and when there are no food or drugs death and violence will begin in earnest.

you can extend it with essential services , but fore long those will start to crumble.

especially if you are paying folk to stay home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

There are acceptable casualties in life.  It’s a shame, but it’s the truth.  The world is built on, at best, a safety third mindset.   I’m not sure what you are looking for here. How many construction works die building sky scrapers? Electricians get electrocuted wiring buildings?  Hunters die hunting? Fisherman drown fishing? People dying from drugs, alchohol, and guns? We are willing to accept death in change for what we like.  If we can do something to help, i’m all for it. I’m not sure ending it like trump wants to do in two weeks is the right answer, but i know at some point we have to.

Hoppers claim was that people who want to get back to work will end up dying from the disease. I’m sorry, but that isn’t reality.  

that was what i was looking for, and very much what i expected---was the equation acceptable to you, and how you would express that acceptability...now, in this situation, not other ones that are also open to challenge...this one, the virus...taken along with your other postings on this matter, and previously too, i just wanted to verify where i figured you were at on this...even when sure i tend to check occasionally

i see such calculations---and the existence/level of them per situation---as a rather complex matter both in general and in this very specific circumstance, ethically/morally (i don't really do "spiritual" but you can substitute "principle") and pragmatically/rationally but won't expand...this will be my last post in the exchange :) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, twa said:

can you source that?.....please

other than the drooling idiots claims.

and of course irrational behavior.

in other words a normal day around here by others than me.

You might not be wrong in the sense that it may be treatable if the FDA can review and approve the use of Azithromycin and Chloroquine as a treatment. However, we are still not there nor prepared to deal with mass infection. So normal isn’t really normal.

Edited by ClaytoAli

32 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Based on the data so far, 20% hospitalization rate for those in or around their 40s is a reasonable estimate.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21190033/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-by-age

And some of them will never fully recover normal lung function.

The difference between severe quarantine measures universally implemented vs a “let’s just go back to work” approach being pushed by Trump now could be the difference between 10% of our population being infected and 70%. And looking just at fatality rate, ignoring the full gambit of health issues that can be caused by this virus is a myopic view. So while people can try to put a price tag on human lives (what’s 1m eighty year olds dead?), the severe impacts this will have on the rest of society, the survivors, are not something to be trivialized. 

I want to toss my phone out the window every time I see a cowgirl post doing this, just as much as I pray Trump contracts covid ASAP because it might be the only thing that will save us. 

• Thanks 4

Even if everything opens up, who would go to restaurants right now? They are done for a year or two.  The airplane industry is done for a while.  Boeing is about to get a bailout.  

Uber has debt of close to 7.5 billion.  That business must be doing  not so well . How about Lyft?    If Uber can't pay their debt, what other financials will be affected? There could be a cascading effect.

As people here have pointed out, there are people here with children.  With schools closing, somebody needs to stay home. 

In fact one of my coworkers has decided to work part time because  he has a child to take care of.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, twa said:

you cannot for more than a week or so, stores and pharmacies don't have that much stock

and when there are no food or drugs death and violence will begin in earnest.

you can extend it with essential services , but fore long those will start to crumble.

especially if you are paying folk to stay home.

Lots of people have to work to produce enough food for our overpopulation. Keep the lights on. keep the heat/ac on. car running. 

How much are we willing to give up.

If you can work from home., keep them home. Restaurants just have to get used to the pick/up delivery model for awhile. Factory work can continue if amazon and ups can happen imo 

Edited by Gibbit