Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Regarding Utah numbers, they don't sound right.

What's the testing looking like for whites that with a straight face folks can believe it's rolled through the Hispanic community that much harder then the others?

It may have. More likely than not, the Hispanic population likely was put into situations that increased their exposure risk, whether its essential jobs that pay terribly or crowded housing because they can't afford/have access to larger living spaces.

• Thanks 2

Rep. Andrew Lewis, R-Dauphin, said in a Facebook Live address Wednesday night, hours after he publicly announced he had tested positive, that he informed as few people as possible about contracting the coronavirus because he wanted to protect the privacy of those around him and because he was only in close quarters with a handful of house colleagues.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1216106?__twitter_impression=true

Major **** you to this guy and his Republican colleagues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It may have. More likely than not, the Hispanic population likely was put into situations that increased their exposure risk, whether its essential jobs that pay terribly or crowded housing because they can't afford/have access to larger living spaces.

I mean, what you saying makes sense, but a gap that large sounds like they aren't testing enough white people to get a clear picture of how big the gap really is.  

I get it, report of what you got, but @Destino is also right to be careful with context and how that data is presented.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Oh, I would certainly assume that a good chunk of racial disparity in disease numbers is tied to things like poverty levels, rather than discrimination.  

There's a lot of baggage that goes along with the label "Hispanic" in our society.  (Or other minorities.)  Lower income, less health care, less safe workplace, more crowded living conditions, higher incarceration rates.  

25 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Rep. Andrew Lewis, R-Dauphin, said in a Facebook Live address Wednesday night, hours after he publicly announced he had tested positive, that he informed as few people as possible about contracting the coronavirus because he wanted to protect the privacy of those around him and because he was only in close quarters with a handful of house colleagues.

"I didn't tell the people I was exposing about my disease, because I wanted to protect the privacy of the people who I was exposing without their knowledge or consent."  

Republican "excuses" don't have to be believable, do they?  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

Here's a good story amid the bleakness:

A nurse went to New York to work on the front lines —

and to find the firefighter who saved her life over 36 years ago

By Meagan Flynn, Washington Post
May 28, 2020

KW3GCBNHMFE4LGBGI5GJ4KK6ZQ.jpg&w=916

For more than three decades, Deirdre Taylor only knew the firefighter who saved her life through the grainy black-and-white photos on the front page of the New York Daily News, on Dec. 30, 1983.

She was only 4 then, a blond, wide-eyed toddler pictured in the paper breathing from a resuscitator in the arms of the firefighter, Eugene Pugliese, who had just carried her out of her burning apartment building.

Taylor, now a registered nurse in Alexandria, Va., kept the Daily News article tucked away in a keepsake binder for years. She wished as she got older that she could find Pugliese and thank him — a desire that intensified after she became an emergency room nurse, as she learned how rare it was to hear back from patients she encountered on the worst days of their lives.

But she hadn’t lived in New York since the fire, and didn’t know where to start. After 9/11, she feared the worst, that Pugliese could have been among the hundreds of firefighters who died in the World Trade Center attacks. She periodically searched his name on Google, finding nothing.

But finally, in March, Taylor thought she may have one last chance to find him.

With her family’s support, she decided to move from Virginia to New York for eight weeks to work in an overwhelmed Manhattan emergency room — trying to help save the lives of coronavirus patients, while searching for the man who saved hers.

Outcome here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/28/nurse-thanks-firefighter-new-york/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Yeah, he's targeting Hispanics for discrimination.  

I mean, he couldn't possibly be making some other point, like that people who are poor and marginalized get worse health care, or live closer together, or anything like that.  

The motive and interpretation you've jumped to is clearly the only one.  

I never accused him of having bad intentions, note the first five words of my post.  My concern is how things are being presented and the consequences that follow.  If there’s a reason hispanics are being harder hit, lead with that.  

There’s a difference between “These types of work result in higher infection rates, which results in minorities communities being hit the hardest hardest.” and “Hispanics have the highest infection rates.”  The first offers a reason why Hispanics are testing positive at such an alarming rate and it doesn’t erase everyone else in that situation that’s also being placed in greater risk by circumstance.  The second focuses only on the fact that they’re Hispanic and singles them out.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I bet right now she is wishing she had been a better mother and taught better critical thinking skills.

It's always galling to me that people's first impulse in commenting on stories like this, with no knowledge of the background, is to blame the parents. 

You might be right on this.  But there's a really good chance you are flat out wrong....

Just a pet peeve of mine.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

We are still dramatically undercounting COVID deaths.  Not clear if this is intentional misleading or just incompetence. 

Is it really not clear? This is absolutely intentional. I believe this has happened in Texas and Tennessee as well. I would bet we are a lot closer to 130-150,000 deaths already. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

You don't have children, right?

This might be one case to STFU. 

It's always galling to me that people's first impulse in commenting on stories like this, with no knowledge of the background, is to blame the parents.  Even more so for people who didn't raise children. 

You might be right on this.  But there's a really good chance you are flat out wrong....

I don't disagree with you but take a breath. I say this as a father myself, this was a little harsh on the guy.

25 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

We are still dramatically undercounting COVID deaths.  Not clear if this is intentional misleading or just incompetence. 

I think it is intentional, especially with how states are combining antibody tests and regular testing. 

it is interesting how with the flick of a switch the local media around here started shifting the coverage from Stop the spread, stay home, new cases are rising, to “prepare for opening” overnight with the blessings from Northam...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

You don't have children, right?

This might be one case to STFU. 

It's always galling to me that people's first impulse in commenting on stories like this, with no knowledge of the background, is to blame the parents.  Even more so for people who didn't raise children. 

No I don't have kids but still, I must respectfully decline your advice to STFU.

I think one (of many) problem in this country is parents not taking enough responsibility.  And just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I'm not exposed enough to parenting.  I'm just as qualified as anyone else here to form an opinion without being privy to the whole backstory. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I mentioned this to a rabid GOPer last night. His response: Why would a hospital under-report? They get paid $11k for reporting a C19 death and $100 for all other deaths.

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

No I don't have kids but still, I must respectfully decline your advice to STFU.

I think one (of many) problem in this country is parents not taking enough responsibility.  And just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I'm not exposed enough to parenting.  I'm just as qualified as anyone else here to form an opinion without being privy to the whole backstory. 

I agree with you that everyone is entitled to an opinion on any topic (educated or not). Hell, I comment on plenty of things in here with minimal knowledge :)

But, one thing that does get overplayed is parenting. It's oftentimes a lazy/convenient criticism. Yes, parenting is important. But eventually these children become their own person and they think, react, read, etc. for themselves. The son in the article could be a very well-adjusted, successful individual who just happens to hold a specific opinion on the reopening of the country. It doesn't mean the mom failed or didn't parent well enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I toned it down, Buzz.  My bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Went back to see what the fuss was about. The son is 45. His life experiences (probably 25+ years of listening to Hannity and Limbaugh) may outweigh his upbringing by now. I have heard a lot of anecdotes about people's parents going fringe. The propaganda machines on both sides have become very influential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2562261/

Visualization chart of how Covid has ramped up since January.  Not sure where the stats pull from though but it seems like the Covid stats are accurate.

One thing I got from that was the realization that I had no idea how many people around the world are dying from malaria.

• Like 2

I could go on and on about screwed up parenting.  And I think an important perspective to consider is the outside one that doesn’t have a dog in the fight (me).  But we have a parenting thread and parenting probably doesn’t really belong in this thread so I’m going to drop it.

• Like 1