Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

The healthcare system in this country is one big joke, where a $30 test gets billed for $20,000 and then insurance companies tell you, “WOW!!! We save you so much money!”

The amount of predatory rent seeking happening here is just breathtaking.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

41 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The healthcare system in this country is one big joke, where a $30 test gets billed for $20,000 and then insurance companies tell you, “WOW!!! We save you so much money!”

I saw another one like that this morning, and it made me so irate. Still fuming a bit

Protests could cause catastrophic setback for controlling coronavirus, experts say

Within the last few days, careful social distancing has been overturned by demonstrations against social injustice — as thousands of Americans congregate in cities across the country protesting the death of George Floyd.

The large gatherings, infectious disease experts said, could cause a catastrophic setback for controlling COVID-19 in the U.S. as cities and states try to reopen.

"It makes me cringe on a number of levels," said Dr. Katie Passaretti, medical director for infection prevention at Atrium Health in Charlotte, North Carolina.

"It's a setup for further spread of COVID," Passaretti added. "It's heartbreaking."

The national unrest comes amid a global pandemic, which has already sickened more than 1.7 million people in the U.S., killing nearly 105,000.

COVID-19 spreads mainly through close contact, particularly large respiratory droplets from sneezes, coughs — as well as shouting and yelling.

"If you were out protesting last night, you probably need to go get a COVID test this week," said Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms at a news briefing Sunday, "because there's still a pandemic in America that's killing black and brown people at higher numbers."

Indeed, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said African Americans are disproportionately affected by COVID-19.

Click on the link for the full article

From tomorrow sex between two (or more) people in a private place who do not live in the same household is a "gathering" between 2 or more people and is therefore illegal. 

Observing that the author, upon reading that a law now bans two non-cohabitant people from being in the same room,  immediately thinks about sex.  

7 hours ago, No Excuses said:

So if I read the tweet correctly, it's a $30 test that the healthcare worker will pay $100. Which will happen three times. Not bad. $210 bonus for the insurance.

I should have worked in insurances company. Maybe should I start one?

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Probably another week before we see effect protests have on confirmed cases and new hotspots, right?

I think it's gonna end up worse than the initial outbreak. 😰

Got a Bam Fam Telegram from work: the face shields we're provided have been deemed insufficient by DeKalb county and everyone has to wear masks now. 

I'm fine with that, but I really feel for the cooks...our pizza ovens (3 of them) are 500 degrees & the melter is 450...that kitchen is straight up FIRE in the summer. 😡💥

• Sad 1

ICUs become a 'delirium factory' for Covid-19 patients

Doctors are fighting not only to save lives from Covid-19, but also to protect patients' brains.

Although Covid-19 is best known for damaging the lungs, it also increases the risk of life-threatening brain injuries — from mental confusion to hallucinations, seizures, coma, stroke and paralysis. The virus may invade the brain, and it can starve the brain of oxygen by damaging the lungs. To fight the infection, the immune system sometimes overreacts, battering the brain and other organs it normally protects.

Yet the pandemic has severely limited the ability of doctors and nurses to prevent and treat neurological complications. The severity of the disease and the heightened risk of infection have forced medical teams to abandon many of the practices that help them protect patients from delirium, a common side effect of mechanical ventilators and intensive care.

Click on the link for the full article

10 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I think it's gonna end up worse than the initial outbreak. 😰

Got a Bam Fam Telegram from work: the face shields we're provided have been deemed insufficient by DeKalb county and everyone has to wear masks now. 

I'm fine with that, but I really feel for the cooks...our pizza ovens (3 of them) are 500 degrees & the melter is 450...that kitchen is straight up FIRE in the summer. 😡💥

I feel you, 110.

Once upon a time as a dishwasher during summer on oceanfront, saw the cook from the downstairs tiki bar kitchen came upstairs with his fan.  He had a dual fryer and dual oven down there and weak ass AC with ocean humidity taking over , so it got so hot the plastic blades on his fan melted off the fan motor. Saw it with my own two eyes, he brought upstairs with him.

Chefs response: "Get him another fan."

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

You packin' poker chips instead? 

Seriously, though, the damn envelope was so brittle that when I tried to tear it open at the flap, it tore all the way down the side orthoganal to the flap where one hand was, and diagonally from the top middle towards the far corner almost all the way across.  It's in nearly three pieces.

And worst of all, the tear JUST missed the part that says "President Donald J. Trump".  Come on, couldn't you at least take the P away so I could pretend he's only a resident?

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Hopefully we get a month or decent living in 2020 before the inevitable second wave, which will no doubt be much worse. Sorry, but it’s clearly better to be pessimistic and expect the worse in America in 2020. At least you can plan for it the best you can.