Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Jezz, how much closer are we to "I don't want to play with you anymore" territory with this whole Global Pandemic thing?

I feel like that’s where we are at now.... Virginia opened up just because I think... deaths and new cases up or at least holding steady....

11 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I feel like that’s where we are at now.... Virginia opened up just because I think... deaths and new cases up or at least holding steady....

Hampton Roads, maybe, but not NOVA.

I think so many people know whats really up and how powerless they are to stop it.  We can't get tested, we can't see it, the rent is still due. The next stand is when they start making us go back to the office or sending our kids to school, that's fall right on time for the second wave.

So this may not be front burner until summer is over.  I'm shocked writing that, but with the economy in shambles and race riots going on again, for a lot of people's it's "what are the controllable's?".

I think a lot of folks will still try not to ignore what scientists are telling them to do, and folks like Biden won't let their eye off the ball here.  But this isn't even top priority today despite being of historic precedent. Because of another historic precedent.

Again, it's either going to take back over the conversation in the fall or in a couple weeks when folks start dying in their hotel rooms in the middle of summer.  But today, nope.

We used to it now, the new normal has settled in. Just another day in paradise...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Again, it's either going to take back over the conversation in the fall or in a couple weeks when folks start dying in their hotel rooms in the middle of summer.  But today, nope.

We used to it now, the new normal has settled in. Just another day in paradise...

think it was a Tweet somebody posted:  

I owe the Jurassic Park franchise an apology.  Apparently it's perfectly believable that rich folks will keep reopening a business that causes hundreds of deaths every time they do it.  

• Like 1

Monkeys snatch COVID-19 blood samples after attacking lab worker in India

Somebody used the phrase "herd immunity" in front of them.  And they think it means "if we act like a bunch of animals, then we're immune!"  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

There’s a lot of big protests out there now. Possibly for days at a time.

I hope nobody ask if justice is worth it.

It would've been a bad look if folks stayed inside instead, that Minneapolis cop murder was beyond egregious.

Second wave might come early, how long until 60% herd immunity at this rate? Since that's what we've decided to do now, for better or worse.

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Second wave might come early, how long until 60% herd immunity at this rate? Since that's what we've decided to do now, for better or worse.

Hard to say for certain, but probably a long time.  At 1..8 million infected we're currently only at around 0.5%.  Even if the numbers are way off and we're actually at 3.3 million infected then we're still only at 1%.  Nowhere close to 60%.

Edited by China

1 minute ago, China said:

Hard to say for certain, but probably a long time.  At 1..8 million infected we're currently only at around 0.5%.  Even if the numbers are way off and we're actually at 3.3 million infected then we're still only at 1%.  Nowhere close to 60%.

That sounds brutal. 

It's probably higher because of the difficulty in really confirming the number of folks that had it an asymptomatic.

Test my mom took wasn't FDA approved and said straight up it probably couldn't tell unless the person was shedding the virus at a certain rate.

But agree we still have a ways to go to 60%, that's probably proven by the number of people that are still dying a day, especially if scientist are right in expecting it to rise again with a second wave.

I always felt the number of dead was the metric they couldn't hide here even if they tried.  Look at the pneumonia numbers for Florida vs year to year average right now, for example.

Targets of T Cell Responses to SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus in Humans with COVID-19 Disease and Unexposed Individuals

CD4+ T cell responses were detected in 40%–60% of unexposed individuals. This may be reflective of some degree of cross-reactive, preexisting immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in some, but not all, individuals. Whether this immunity is relevant in influencing clinical outcomes is unknown—and cannot be known without T cell measurements before and after SARS-CoV-2 infection of individuals—but it is tempting to speculate that the cross-reactive CD4+ T cells may be of value in protective immunity, based on SARS mouse models (Zhao et al., 2016).

Japanese firm claims success against COVID-19

13 hours ago, China said:

So taking your best scenario into account, which is 1% of immunity with 3.3m infected (making it 33.000 immune).

Considering US population is roughly 330m or close to it. That would require 198.000.000 of immune americans to reach the 60% thresold.

Then 19.8 billions of americans have to be infected to reach it :)

Sounds doable :D

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Considering US population is roughly 330m or close to it. That would require 198.000.000 of immune americans to reach the 60% thresold.

Then 19.8 billions of americans have to be infected to reach it :)

Think you're grossly misunderstanding what his 1% number represents.  

miracle_sharris.gif

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Who didn't see that one coming? Anyone? Bueller?

Anybody here think it's just one infected person?  

• Like 1

@FrFan

New evidence in race to find France's COVID-19 'patient zero'

PARIS — French doctors may have made a breakthrough in the race to establish where and when the coronavirus pandemic first hit Europe, by establishing that the virus may have been in France much earlier than anyone thought.

A team of researchers in the city of Colmar in northeastern France announced in a release last week that it had identified two X-rays, from Nov. 16 and Nov. 18, showing symptoms consistent with the novel coronavirus. NBC News has exclusively obtained these scans.

If confirmed, this is evidence that the virus was spreading in Europe two months before France declared its first cases Jan. 24 and well before COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, had been officially identified in China.

The news comes a week after a separate team of scientists in Paris established that a patient had the coronavirus Dec. 27, so far the earliest known case in Europe.

Officials in the Chinese city of Wuhan confirmed the existence of a then-unknown illness with pneumonia-like symptoms to the World Health Organization’s China office on Dec. 31, but it wasn’t established as a new coronavirus until Jan. 7.

U.S. spy agencies have gathered intelligence hinting at a public health crisis in Wuhan in November.

Scientists believe mapping the spread of the disease in its early stages is key to understanding how to protect people and prevent a second outbreak.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1