Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

54 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Speaking of Florida...

Here’s what the Clematis district of West Palm Beach looked like last night.

964E8D1B-5059-4A77-A357-C7EEBE136F2D.png

I've eaten at Lynora's several times.  It is so good, it might be worth COVID to get a table there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

It's always galling to me that people's first impulse in commenting on stories like this, with no knowledge of the background, is to blame the parents. 

You might be right on this.  But there's a really good chance you are flat out wrong....

Just a pet peeve of mine.

This is fair, but way I took @TheGreatBuzz response is that I know there's parents out there that wish they could fill the gaps of our education system and just can't because they got chewed up and spit out from it, too.

If his feeling is the mom is a Republican and her son became a Trumper, he can speak to that, but I didn't assume that's what he meant either.

Evans man shocked by $139,254 medical bill for COVID-19 treatment

Ernesto Castro says he felt like he had a second chance at life after leaving the hospital where he spent days in a coma, hooked up to a ventilator, fighting the novel coronavirus. He survived COVID-19 only to face a new fear — the expense of his hospital stay.

Castro says letters from Meritain Health, his private health insurance company, began coming in at the beginning of May. Then came the hospital notifications and calls from his case manager. For weeks, he feared the cost of his care. On Wednesday, he finally gathered the courage to face reality.

He remembers his heart pounding and his hands shaking as he opened the letter. When he read the line, “patient’s responsibility: $139,254.16," he broke down. His insurance denied all of his medical expenses.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Sad 2

Coronavirus still has a foothold in the South

Overall, new coronavirus infections in the U.S. are on the decline. But a small handful of states, mainly clustered in the South, aren't seeing any improvement.

The big picture: Our progress, nationwide, is of course good news. But it's fragile progress, and it’s not universal. Stubborn pockets of infection put lives at risk, and they can spread, especially as state lockdowns continue to ease.

Where it stands: Each week, Axios is tracking the change in confirmed coronavirus infections in every state.

We’re using a seven-day average, to minimize the distortions of reporting delays or similar technical issues.

Ten states have not seen a single week of significant improvement — their caseloads have either gotten worse or have held steady all month.

Most of them are in the South: Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.

But a handful of other, more populous states —California, Minnesota and Wisconsin — also stand out for their consistently lagging progress. Maine and Utah also have not reported a single week of significant improvement.

Neither has Puerto Rico.

Between the lines: The number of total cases is a flawed but important metric.

The number of confirmed cases will go up as testing improves, so spikes in some areas may simply reflect a more accurate handle on the situation, and not a situation that’s getting worse.

Even so, to get this pandemic under control and safely continue getting back out into the world, we still need the total number of new cases to decline.

The other side: The areas making the most progress — those reporting the biggest, steadiest declines in new cases — are, for the most part, the places that had it worse to begin with.

New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts— all one-time hotspots — have reported fewer cases every week.

A handful of other states, including Colorado and Pennsylvania, have either gotten better or held steady each week.

Click on the link for more including an interactive graphic

• Sad 1

If you check the JHU COVID Map and click on Brazil, it will show the case rate there which is still on an exponential upswing curve.

Brazil surpasses U.S. in daily coronavirus death toll

SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Brazil daily coronavirus deaths were higher than fatalities in the United States for the first time over the last 24 hours, according to the country’s Health Ministry.

Brazil registered 807 deaths over the last 24 hours, whereas 620 died in the United States.

• Sad 1

‘It’s Not the Virus’: Mexico’s Broken Hospitals Become Killers, Too

The senseless deaths torment doctors and nurses the most: The man who died because an inexperienced nurse unplugged his ventilator. The patient who died from septic shock because no one monitored his vital signs. The people whose breathing tubes clogged after being abandoned in their hospital beds for hours on end.

In Mexico, it’s not just the coronavirus that is claiming lives. The country’s broken health system is killing people as well.

Years of neglect had already hobbled Mexico’s health care system, leaving it dangerously short of doctors, nurses and equipment to fight a virus that has overwhelmed far richer nations.

Now, the pandemic is making matters much worse, sickening more than 11,000 Mexican health workers — one of the highest rates in the world — and depleting the already thin ranks in hospitals. Some hospitals have lost half their staff to illness and absenteeism. Others are running low on basic equipment, like heart monitors.

The shortages have had devastating consequences for patients, according to interviews with health workers across the country. Several doctors and nurses recounted dozens of preventable deaths in hospitals — the result of neglect or mistakes that never should have happened.

“We have had many of what we call ‘dumb deaths,’” said Pablo Villaseñor, a doctor at the General Hospital in Tijuana, the center of an outbreak. “It’s not the virus that is killing them. It’s the lack of proper care.”

• Sad 2

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Do you ever foresee such a horrible future that you secretly hope you’re a conspiracy nut?

I can't tell you how many times this runs through my mind....'was it always this bad?' 'am i overreacting?'......after asking those questions, I realize the answer is no, this is different and this is crazy **** people are turning blind eyes to and I don't get it.

Moscow more than doubles city's Covid-19 death toll

Moscow's authorities have more than doubled the official death toll from Covid-19 in the Russian capital for the month of April.

The city's health department now says 1,561 people died from the disease - not 639 as initially announced.

The department stressed that the new tally included even the most "controversial, debatable" cases.

Moscow-based reporters had said the official numbers were too low, but were accused of fake news and distortion.

Confirmation that the numbers had been under-reported emerged before Russia announced 232 new deaths, its biggest daily death toll during the pandemic so far.

With 8,572 new recorded infections, Russia has the third highest number in the world of 387,623 cases. The official number of deaths stands at 4,374.

The government says the country's mass testing programme is responsible for that low mortality rate - but many believe the numbers are in fact far higher.