Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Has anyone here flown nationally during this whole thing?  Just curious what it is like right now as we are contemplating flying somewhere next month for a little getaway.

You might find this interesting:

Scientists know ways to help stop viruses from spreading on airplanes. They’re too late for this pandemic.

On March 14, 1977, a woman with the flu climbed aboard a 737 and headed for Kodiak, Alaska, with 53 other passengers and crew. After an engine failed, most of them sat on the runway with the cabin doors shut, and the ventilation system off, for two hours. Within three days, 38 more people were sick.

More than four decades after state and federal epidemiologists showed how easily viruses spread from person to person on airplanes, the novel coronavirus has decimated global aviation. Daily passenger screenings are down 95 percent, according to the Transportation Security Administration.

Though there have been significant advances since the 1970s, and airlines spent weeks touting the safety of flying and their steps against the coronavirus, passenger cabins still pose a danger for the spread of infectious diseases, experts said.

It is a problem of biology, physics and pure proximity, with airflow, dirty surfaces and close contact with other travelers all at play.

VIDEO

The FAA regulates airplane design and production, down to the requirements for fire-retardant seat cushions, and oversees airline operations. But while the agency sets some air-quality standards, such as acceptable carbon dioxide levels, it has not set rules for preventing the spread of infectious diseases in airplane cabins.

Airlines have noted that all, or most, of their planes use high-efficiency particulate air filters. Air flows past millions of particle-grabbing layers in the filters and is blended with air sucked in through the engines, creating roughly a 50-50 mix of fresh and recirculated air.

Delta said that “HEPA air filters extract more than 99.999% of even the tiniest viruses.” Alaska Airlines, citing studies from the European Union Aviation Safety Agency, argued that cabin air “can be better than the air found in many office buildings,” given how frequently it recirculates. Southwest said the filters help provide onboard air quality “which, in most cases, exceeds the quality of air that can be found outdoors.”

Chen, who edits the journal Building and Environment and has studied air quality in offices and cruise ships in addition to planes, said that while planes get high marks on some measures, many of the industry claims are misleading.

“To be honest, airplanes are not designed to prevent infectious-disease transmission,” said Chen, who was co-director of the FAA-funded Airliner Cabin Environment Research center from 2004 to 2010. “They’re not designed to do the job.”

The problem is passengers can still breathe in tiny floating droplets from a coughing passenger seated nearby — before the air carrying those droplets can be vented out of the cabin and filtered.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Gibber said:

I read something today that the airport is more of the problem than the airplane. 

However. One of the doctors on MSNBC who got Covid on a flight said he should have worn googles as he thinks he got it through the eyes since he was wearing a mask. 

I think in a month, airports and planes will have a better protection plan than what they have now. 

Good luck and stay safe. 

Cool thanks.  it's not definite or anything but we are thinking about it.  It also depends on if I have to self quarantine for 14 days when I get back before I can go back to work.

14 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Virginia just reported it’s highest daily case total...and it’s only 10:48 AM.

Virginia only reports once per day, before 10am.

You'll also notice its because over 800 of the cases are from the closed down Northern Virginia area after Virginia revamped its testing.

Mich. Man Tried to Steal Helicopter, Shoot Up Hospital to Free ‘Patients Under COVID-19 Quarantine’: Docs

A Michigan man allegedly threatened to shoot central dispatchers, drive to a U.S. Coast Guard Station, steal a helicopter and then shoot up a hospital in a bizarre plan to free coronavirus patients, according to court documents unsealed on Thursday. The U.S. Coast Guard Investigative Service has filed federal gun charges against Jesse T. McFadden, a convicted felon who was in possession of a firearm. McFadden, 70, allegedly called Arenac County Central Dispatch staff on May 17 and threatened to shoot them, said Hampton Township Police Lt. Michael Wedding. He then drove to the Coast Guard station in Bay City “to steal a helicopter to further his plan to attack a police station and shoot up a local hospital,” according to the criminal complaint.

McFadden attempted to gain access to the station by punching the gate keypad and then told the dispatcher that he “wanted to disrupt the power to the hospital, unlock the doors, and release patients under COVID-19 quarantine” while he was armed with a machine gun, according to the affidavit, first reported on by researcher Seamus Hughes.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

**** covid19. One of my best friends from childhood died from it yesterday 😞 he was only 24. 

Indeed. I'm so sorry for your loss. 😥 

My best friend's grandmother is 98, in a nursing home in Kansas with zero cases. Until the lockdown, someone from the family had come by to see her daily. She's wasting away now because she thinks everyone has forgotten her. I've cried about this for 3 days. Not one person should go out like that. 

• Sad 8

7 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Virginia only reports once per day, before 10am.

Good to know.  But, I’ve been using the WaPo tracker and the VA numbers are almost never in that early.

Edit:  But they are in on time today.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1

I’m so sick of this “there’s more positive cases because we’re doing more testing” narrative. They’ve been pushing that since jump street.

Although the premise is true, what they’re implying is that things are really the same and have not in fact gotten worse.

Cases are going up because the virus is still spreading. 100k deaths hasn’t gotten anyone’s attention. Let’s see if 250k by the end of summer makes a difference.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I’m so sick of this “there’s more positive cases because we’re doing more testing” narrative. They’ve been pushing that since jump street.

Although the premise is true, what they’re implying is that things are really the same and have not in fact gotten worse.

Cases are going up because the virus is still spreading. 100k deaths haven’t gotten anyone’s attention. Let’s see if 250k by the end of summer makes a difference.

I doubt it will, when so many people are living in a world devoid of truth/reality

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Well we are doing more testing and in some ways, it can be a difficult metric for identifying the course of the pandemic. The testing was so poor in the early stages that we really can't tell based on just testing numbers if case #s are clearly going up or down.

Hospitalization rates, positive test % and deaths are the metrics we need to be looking at.

Edited by No Excuses

16 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Well we are doing more testing and in some ways, it can be a difficult metric for identifying the course of the pandemic. 

I understand that, but they’ve been pushing that since we had 1k deaths.

The only thing that’s changed since we shut down is our tolerance for mitigation. People are sick of it. The virus hasn’t changed. 

I don’t need a calculator to figure out if the numbers are going up or down. Look around. People are everywhere. Churches and gyms getting ready to fire up. Schools are gonna open in the fall. We’re in full blown **** it mode.

I’m starting to game plan for a 12 month haul. I’m afraid there are some dark days ahead.

• Like 2

Large study finds hydroxychloroquine Covid-19 treatments linked to greater risk of death and heart arrhythmia

Seriously ill Covid-19 patients who were treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were more likely to die or develop dangerous heart arrhythmias, according to a large observational study published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet.

Researchers analyzed data from more than 96,000 patients with confirmed Covid-19 from 671 hospitals. All were hospitalized from late December to mid-April, and had died or been discharged by April 21.

Just below 15,000 patients were treated with the antimalarial drugs hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, or one of those drugs combined with an antibiotic.

All four of those treatments were linked with a higher risk of dying in the hospital. About 1 in 11 patients in the control group died in the hospital. About 1 in 6 patients treated with chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine alone died in the hospital. About 1 in 5 treated with chloroquine and an antibiotic died and almost 1 in 4 treated with hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic died. 

Researchers also found that serious cardiac arrhythmias were more common among patients receiving any of the four treatments. The largest increase was among the group treated with hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic; 8% of those patients developed a heart arrhythmia, compared with 0.3% of patients in the control group.

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I understand that, but they’ve been pushing that since we had 1k deaths.

The only thing that’s changed since we shut down is our tolerance for mitigation. People are sick of it. The virus hasn’t changed. 

I don’t need a calculator to figure out if the numbers are going up or down. Look around. People are everywhere. Churches and gyms getting ready to fire up. Schools are gonna open in the fall. We’re in full blown **** it mode.

I’m starting to game plan for a 12 month haul. I’m afraid there are some dark days ahead.

I don't understand. Are you sick of hearing it or you don't think the increased testing goes hand-in-hand with increased cases? You're entitled to the former, but it doesn't make the latter any less possible and logical. 

And, regardless of when "they" have been stating it, it's remained logical and true. At the 1,000 death mark, there were almost certainly more tests than there were prior. And now today, there are almost certainly more tests than there were at the 1,000 death mark. The reasonable way to look at this is that it's tough to truly track...when all variables are changing and there's no constant, identifying a trend is difficult. Actual cases could be decreasing even as reported/tested cases increase. 

You being sick of the narrative reminds me of when I watch football and have to constantly hear the announcers state elementary things like "this is a huge play" on a key third down or "they can stop the clock twice plus they have the two-minute warning" down the stretch. You can almost predict when they are going to say it, but it's still valid and accurate information. 

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

You being sick of the narrative reminds me of when I watch football and have to constantly hear the announcers state

What I’m sick of Is that they continue to act like cases are only going up because of increased testing. They’ve been doing it since the beginning. It’s the way they frame it that pisses me off. Does more tests mean more positives? Yes. Does more positive tests mean that the virus is still spreading because we’re operating like idiots? Yes.

They make it seem like it’s all the former and none of the latter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Cases are going up because the virus is still spreading. 100k deaths hasn’t gotten anyone’s attention. Let’s see if 250k by the end of summer makes a difference.

yeah my info conflicts with what I keep seeing about virginia

the number of nurses out sick with covid all the sudden isnt getting much play in the local media. 

I keep hoping I have bad info. But... if I don’t... then our state is messing up big time. 

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Wife feels the same way and we switch our temporarily plans to plans for the next year because of it. Think I posted about that last week. 

i have a problem with thinking I’m always right. I’ve got a solid batting average but I’m aware I’m not always right. I’m hoping I’m wrong here. I just don’t feel like I am :( 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

What I’m sick of Is that they continue to act like cases are only going up because of increased testing. They’ve been doing it since the beginning. It’s the way they frame it that pisses me off. Does more tests mean more positives? Yes. Does more positive tests mean that the virus is still spreading because we’re operating like idiots? Yes.

The kind of info you need here is the evolution of % positives tests/testing.

I'm not sure you have the numbers of tests done back in the days compared to nowadays.

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I understand...I guess I just don't hear that much onesidedness (I made up a word!) being pushed when I'm talking about this with people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I understand...I guess I just don't hear that much onesidedness (I made up a word!) being pushed when I'm talking about this with people. 

depending on the discussions you find yourself in or read... the “it’s because of increased testing” point has become a ‘narrative’ for certain people that use it to imply that the entire situation is overblown. 

they’re the equivalent of the “it’s snowing, so global warming isn’t real” people. 

yes, it’s a valid point. It’s also being abused in certain circles to push an invalid point. 

I think that’s his gripe. I have the same gripe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1