Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

depending on the discussions you find yourself in or read... the “it’s because of increased testing” point has become a ‘narrative’ for certain people that use it to imply that the entire situation is overblown. 

they’re the equivalent of the “it’s snowing, so global warming isn’t real” people. 

yes, it’s a valid point. It’s also being abused in certain circles to push an invalid point. 

I think that’s his gripe. I have the same gripe. 

So, I would slightly disagree with the analogy. There is plenty of logic in the "more testing = more positives" point. The idea that snow can't = climate change is inaccurate. 

Also it’s possible my info is just biased. 

I suppose you could argue there’s a lag between the peak within a community and the peak within the hospitals. People get infected before they’re hospitalized and it could be days or weeks before they need hospitalization. 

so maybe the general public in nova has peaked and the numbers are going down, but that lag means the hospitals are just now peaking. 

because the nova hospital staffing and census data I have suggests the hospital crisis we were all concerned about back in March, is just now happening. As of last weekend. And keep in mind the crisis has two sides - number of patiences, and staff. Right now they haven’t exceeded bed capacity (patients side), but they are losing nurses to positive covid tests at an alarming rate (staffing side)

so they have beds and equipment but not staff. 

Maybe that’s because of the lag I outlined earlier. 

or maybe it’s because people making decisions think the numbers are good enough to roll the dice, and are looking at the wrong numbers, and are wrong. 

I don’t know. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, I would slightly disagree with the analogy. There is plenty of logic in the "more testing = more positives" point. The idea that snow can't = climate change is inaccurate. 

Yeah it’s not a great analogy that way. The analogy was more that people are taking a select data point and pushing a preferred narrative with it. 

more testing = more positive results is certainly a valid point. 

using it to suggest it’s all overblown is not. That was my point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If your hospitals/ICUs/morgues are filling up you’re having an outbreak.

If they’re not...then you’re not.

Wear a mask and be smart.

Ours are filling up. 

but the state is reopening. 

I don’t know man. Sometimes you’re too close to things and it clouds your view. I can’t decide if that’s the case with me or not. 

I know I get to listen to hours of census and staffing conference calls. I know they’re not good. I have no idea where people are getting the idea that things are getting better. They must not be looking at the hospitals. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Ours are filling up. 

I don’t know man. Sometimes you’re too close to things and it clouds your view. I can’t decide if that’s the case with me or not. 

I know I get to listen to hours of census and staffing conference calls. I know they’re not good. I have no idea where people are getting the idea that things are getting better. They must not be looking at the hospitals. 

I know NoVa is getting smacked around a bit right now, but the VDH dashboard still has 4000 ICU beds and 3000 ventilators available.

https://www.vhha.com/communications/virginia-hospital-covid-19-data-dashboard/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Ours are filling up. 

They aren't, a lot of folks are going to Walmart and don't see any dead bodies in aisle 4 so it must be all good.

A lot of folks closing there ears and singing then changing the station to what they want to hear to make them feel better.

I said it before and will say it again, a lot of folks won't get it until they get it themselves.  It sucks some of these hoaxers are asymptotic, but a lot of them won't be.  It shouldn't cost that, but herd immunity isn't a hashtag, it's painful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Will Hot Weather Kill the Coronavirus Where You Live?

For many people living with the crushing consequences of Covid-19, the summer offers a tantalizing possibility: If the coronavirus behaves like the seasonal flu, warm weather could substantially weaken the virus and allow normal life to resume. President Trump predicted exactly this outcome in February, claiming the virus would “miraculously” go away by April as temperatures rose.

A new working paper tries to put that speculation to rest by tracking how weather and other environmental conditions, such as pollution, affect the virus’s spread around the world.

The forecast from researchers is grim: Warm weather alone will not control the virus in America or abroad. Here are the results for the United States, showing weather on its own cannot meaningfully reduce infections to the rate of 1 new case per every infected person, the point by which the number of infections falls continuously.

Click on the link for more

Edited by China

‘It’s something I have never seen’: How the Covid-19 virus hijacks cells

A deep dive into how the new coronavirus infects cells has found that it orchestrates a hostile takeover of their genes unlike any other known viruses do, producing what one leading scientist calls “unique” and “aberrant” changes.

Recent studies show that in seizing control of genes in the human cells it invades, the virus changes how segments of DNA are read, doing so in a way that might explain why the elderly are more likely to die of Covid-19 and why antiviral drugs might not only save sick patients’ lives but also prevent severe disease if taken before infection.

“It’s something I have never seen in my 20 years of” studying viruses, said virologist Benjamin tenOever of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, referring to how SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, hijacks cells’ genomes.

The “something” he and his colleagues saw is how SARS-CoV-2 blocks one virus-fighting set of genes but allows another set to launch, a pattern never seen with other viruses. Influenza and the original SARS virus (in the early 2000s), for instance, interfere with both arms of the body’s immune response — what tenOever dubs “call to arms” genes and “call for reinforcement” genes.

The first group of genes produces interferons. These proteins, which infected cells release, are biological semaphores, signaling to neighboring cells to activate some 500 of their own genes that will slow down the virus’ ability to make millions of copies of itself if it invades them. This lasts seven to 10 days, tenOever said, controlling virus replication and thereby buying time for the second group of genes to act.

This second set of genes produce their own secreted proteins, called chemokines, that emit a biochemical “come here!” alarm. When far-flung antibody-making B cells and virus-killing T cells sense the alarm, they race to its source. If all goes well, the first set of genes holds the virus at bay long enough for the lethal professional killers to arrive and start eradicating viruses.

“Most other viruses interfere with some aspect of both the call to arms and the call for reinforcements,” tenOever said. “If they didn’t, no one would ever get a viral illness”: The one-two punch would pummel any incipient infection into submission.

SARS-CoV-2, however, uniquely blocks one cellular defense but activates the other, he and his colleagues reported in a study published last week in Cell. They studied healthy human lung cells growing in lab dishes, ferrets (which the virus infects easily), and lung cells from Covid-19 patients. In all three, they found that within three days of infection, the virus induces cells’ call-for-reinforcement genes to produce cytokines. But it blocks their call-to-arms genes — the interferons that dampen the virus’ replication.

The result is essentially no brakes on the virus’s replication, but a storm of inflammatory molecules in the lungs, which is what tenOever calls an “unique” and “aberrant” consequence of how SARS-CoV-2 manipulates the genome of its target.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Fair enough...I would say that it could be used to state that it could be overblown. Simply because, actual cases could be decreasing and we can't determine that. 

The only way actual cases can decrease is if people start dying or fully recovering at a higher rate than new infections are being detected. The number of new cases per day has gone down for a while, used to have around 33,000 new cases per day, now are around 25,000 per day. So for me anyway, the "more testing = more cases" argument is irrelevant. The "more testing = ability to slow the spread" argument is still strong, though.

50 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The number of new cases per day has gone down for a while, used to have around 33,000 new cases per day, now are around 25,000 per day.

If you remove NY from the data then its basically been in the low to mid 20s the whole time. (Then and now)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

The only way actual cases can decrease is if people start dying or fully recovering at a higher rate than new infections are being detected. The number of new cases per day has gone down for a while, used to have around 33,000 new cases per day, now are around 25,000 per day. So for me anyway, the "more testing = more cases" argument is irrelevant. The "more testing = ability to slow the spread" argument is still strong, though.

I think a lot of it is becoming less relevant now that we have a better idea of the mortality rate. That's another "positive" to the increased testing...realizing that many of us might be exposed to it or even have it, but very few will become seriously sick. It's good to understand the spread as you said...because then we can better protect the more vulnerable. 

• Like 1

Brazil jumps to world No. 2 in coronavirus cases, behind the U.S.

Brazil became the world No. 2 hotspot for coronavirus cases on Friday, second only to the United States, after it confirmed that 330,890 people had been infected by the virus, overtaking Russia, the Health Ministry said.

Brazil registered 1,001 daily coronavirus deaths on Friday, taking total deaths to 21,048, according to the Health Ministry.

In Sao Paulo, the worst hit city, aerial video showed rows of open plots at the Formosa Cemetery as it rushed to keep up with demand.

Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro has been widely criticized for his handling of the outbreak and is at the centre too of a deepening political crisis.

Click on the link for the full article

Here's my new way to deal with Covid-19news: anything that comes from Trump, his administration, and his minions I disregard completely. 

I will only pay attention to reputable, scientific sources. 

It's how I stay sane. The Trump cult can't seem to be truthful in any subject, so I don't pay attention to anything coming from them. Except for the damage they are doing to our country and government. That I believe wholeheartedly, because they are destroyers for money.