Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

Apparently, the US Government knew then.  :)  

The IC knew about a likely viral outbreak happening in Wuhan at that time, but characteristics of the virus wouldn't have been known unless you had to access to good medical data, which may or not have been available by then. If even medical professionals in China were being silenced and threatened around that time, I doubt that they were being allowed to collect and share data to understand what is happening.

The CCP even reprimanded the research group that sequenced the genome of the virus and released it to the global scientific community.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Yes Trump is incompetent and he wasted an entire month that we are paying for dearly now. 

No, that does not change the fact that this virus had spread globally by the time China was still lying to the world about the magnitude of the issue. For one, if the outbreak started in America and doctors started sounding the alarm bells, our government doesn't have the authority to send police to reprimand and silence medical professionals. That’s exactly what happened in China. These things matter. Had the world known by December that a new highly contagious respiratory virus is spreading, we would be in a much different place right now and that accounts for our more than pathetic government response.

I'm not sure what's worse...how they lied about it or how they're continuing to not give a **** and still have the wet markets open.  It's as if learning from a mistake is a concept they're not familiar with.  But then again, a lot of good could have been done had they been upfront about everything.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The fact that there are millions of people who love the way he carries himself is more disturbing than Trump himself.  It's just so hard to comprehend how anyone could see him tweet things like the above, and obviously many more, and think 'That's my president, MAGA, Trump 2020'.

Every time I see a post like this I agree 100%, but then I just think about how dumb your average person is.  And then remember that means half the population is dumber than them.  And then once again it clicks and makes complete sense.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Every time I see a post like this I agree 100%, but then I just think about how dumb your average person is.  And then remember that means half the population is dumber than them.  And then once again it clicks and makes complete sense.

While that is true, even dumb people can have compassion, integrity and other redeeming qualities that should make them turn their nose up at his behavior.  I think sadly the issue is not only are a lot of people dumb and garner every ounce of their political beliefs via memes, there are just a lot of morally corrupt people out there, that don't even realize how morally corrupt they are.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The fact that there are millions of people who love the way he carries himself is more disturbing than Trump himself.  It's just so hard to comprehend how anyone could see him tweet things like the above, and obviously many more, and think 'That's my president, MAGA, Trump 2020'.

The analogy I always make is that if this was a school principal, teacher, etc.; that person would have been forced to resign or be fired by the demands of the same people that support Trump. The hypocrisy is mind boggling. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While that is true, even dumb people can have compassion, integrity and other redeeming qualities that should make them turn their nose up at his behavior.  I think sadly the issue is not only are a lot of people dumb and garner every ounce of their political beliefs via memes, there are just a lot of morally corrupt people out there, that don't even realize how morally corrupt they are.

Observing that the GOP is now pushing the notion that people and businesses can now ignore anti-discrimination laws, if they just claim (falsely) that discrimination is their religion.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well that didn't take long. Thinly veiled,(that's being generous),threat by the scumbag in chief to withhold aid.  What a mess with real potential to be messier.  States already on their own and are apparently combining,(or planning to),resources to continue to take care of their own. And they're ready to fight for it if FEMA comes im and tries to take it

That's 1 potential issue. Then you have Dump trying to undermine the States by trying to open things up too early

So those states will have people and businesses ignoring state orders because Trump said so

All this while many are still waitimg for their own peak of this thing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

The analogy I always make is that if this was a school principal, teacher, etc.; that person would have been forced to resign or be fired by the demands of the same people that support Trump. The hypocrisy is mind boggling. 

Not if he puts a statue of the Ten Commandments in the school.  Do that, and every one of his character defects become charming personality traits.  

41 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't believe everyone that supports him sees everything he says, let alone does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

The IC knew about a likely viral outbreak happening in Wuhan at that time, but characteristics of the virus wouldn't have been known unless you had to access to good medical data, which may or not have been available by then. If even medical professionals in China were being silenced and threatened around that time, I doubt that they were being allowed to collect and share data to understand what is happening.

The CCP even reprimanded the research group that sequenced the genome of the virus and released it to the global scientific community.

Dude, U.S. intelligence knows when Xi Jingping farts.  Theres no way that we didnt know something was up in China by the time the Chinese were busy covering it up.  Why the **** would we ever put ourselves in a position to have to believe China on anything anyhow?  Youre acting like we dont spend untold billions on intelligence.

Contrast this to the response to Ebola.  You didnt see us waiting around for Senegal to get its **** together, or relying on Liberia for for data.  By the time more than three Africans had contracted the disease, every black man with a bead sweat dripping from his forehead was getting sent for special screening upon setting foot into any airport around the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That could be true, and given a bunch of his supporters, only view what they want to, they may not even believe most of the factual stuff he's said and done.

That's fair, last thing I'll add so I don't derail this thread is Fox has a bad habit of not reporting stuff they can't spin, like his tirade in the Pentagon that made some military personnel cry and for the most part they refuse to talk about because he's their commander in chief.

Some people are too busy defending him to even realize what they are defending.  It's a bad habit that was here before him, and honestly, isnt limited to his followers. But for folks like Tillerson, that was the last straw, he started smacking him around in front of folks, so his leaks about him while still Secretary of State I believe we're totally true for the most part.

What we don't see or hear is no doubt worse then what we do see and hear, that's something I'm trying not to lose sleep over.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

@Corcaigh American Deaths By Disaster Graph 

Just to be fair and in no way putting down Obama. The Swine Flu had around 12,500 deaths over a year In the U.S. according to the CDC. 

Which is much better than the 22,000+ Trump has enthusiastically helped us to achieve within a month and a half.  

This is what it feels like to be winning. 

4 minutes ago, Koala said:

Dude, U.S. intelligence knows when Xi Jingping farts.  Theres no way that we didnt know something was up in China by the time the Chinese were busy covering it up.  Why the **** would we ever put ourselves in a position to have to believe China on anything anyhow?  Youre acting like we dont spend untold billions on intelligence.

Let's not go bestowing omniscence on our IC, either.  

We knew something.  

Yes, knowing more would have helped.  (Maybe.  Given Trump and the GOP's belief that unpleasant information can be ignored simply by wishing it away, it might not have.)  

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Let's not go bestowing omniscence on our IC, either.  

We knew something.  

Yes, knowing more would have helped.  (Maybe.  Given Trump and the GOP's belief that unpleasant information can be ignored simply by wishing it away, it might not have.)  

On top of that, they know we're surveilling them.  And probably doing their best to **** with us from that perspective, too.  I don't feel bad saying this but...you can't trust 'em.  

5 minutes ago, Koala said:

Contrast this to the response to Ebola.  You didnt see us waiting around for Senegal to get its **** together, or relying on Liberia for for data.  By the time more than three Africans had contracted the disease, every black man with a bead sweat dripping from his forehead was getting sent for special screening upon setting foot into any airport around the world.

That's because we have people on the ground in Africa, we have military bases there, research institutions in the US work closely with African health agencies and the WHO has open access to African countries. China on the other hand has largely shut itself out to foreign institutions and tightly controls information flow within its own communities.

China is an opaque country with a sprawling surveillance system more advanced than any other country on Earth. Yes, our IC knew of a likely viral outbreak in China by November. That does not mean we were aware of the characteristics of the virus, which is only possible if you have people on the ground collecting good data. By most reports, China wasn't even letting its own medical professionals report on this or taking it very seriously, so its doubtful that our IC understood the magnitude of what was actually happening. The first IC official IC report on this submitted in the first week of January according what little we know.

• Like 1