Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Florida's surgeon general just said Floridians will have to maintain social distancing measures until there's a vaccine.

"This is the new normal," he said.

He acknowledged that a vaccine could be a year away.

Then he was removed from the Cabinet room by

Trump is so proud.  Desantis may replace Pence now.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

The day has reset on Worldometers.

Third day in a row in the US with fewer cases, down 7,000 (21%) from Friday. 500 (25%) less deaths in the last 24 hours than Friday's peak, with fewer still yesterday.

Worldwide there has also been a daily drop and cases are down 23,000 (24%) from Friday. The growth rate in deaths has dropped from 10% last Tuesday to 5% for two days in a row.

It looks like by the end of tomorrow there will be about 600,000 cases and about 25,000 deaths. That seems like a significant increase in the death rate (I haven't been keeping up with the death rate, though...but the last time I did it was around 3%).

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

It looks like by the end of tomorrow there will be about 600,000 cases and about 25,000 deaths. That seems like a significant increase in the death rate (I haven't been keeping up with the death rate, though...but the last time I did it was around 3%).

The fatality rate is going to keep climbing until we begin testing asymptomatic people within the general population to determine the full spread of the virus. It takes multiple weeks and three negative tests in a row to "recover" from COVID-19, whereas someone could die from COVID-19 over a weekend if they had only just sought treatment after being sick for weeks. 

When I refer to the growth rate, I mean the day to day percentage increase within a given category. That rate has steadily dropped in recent weeks for cases and deaths. When that rate is climbing unabated, that's when growth is said to be exponential. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The fatality rate is going to keep climbing until we begin testing asymptomatic people within the general population to determine the full spread of the virus. It takes multiple weeks and three negative tests in a row to "recover" from COVID-19, whereas someone could die from COVID-19 over a weekend if they had only just sought treatment after being sick for weeks. 

When I refer to the growth rate, I mean the day to day percentage increase within a given category. That rate has steadily dropped in recent weeks for cases and deaths. When that rate is climbing unabated, that's when growth is said to be exponential. 

I understood what you meant by the growth rate....I was using your post as a jumping-off point. When I had first tracked the death rate however many days (weeks?) ago it was, it had dropped from somewhere just over 3% to 2.71%...I was hoping that was a good sign. That's probably why I stopped checking lol...

Edited by Califan007

Just now, Califan007 said:

I understood what you meant by the growth rate....I was using your post as a jumping-off point. When I had first tracked the death rate however many days (weeks?) ago it was, it had drop[ped from somewhere just over 3% to 2.71%...I was hoping that was a good sign. That's probably why I stopped checking lol...

Yeah...not a lot of good news on the fatality rate front right now. Many reasons for that.

It's going to start dropping in Italy and Spain though as their hospitals slowly clear out and they begin looking for immune citizens. That's something to watch out for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yohan said:

In WI Coronavirus voting news, the liberal judge won the state Supreme Court seat, bringing the balance of power to 4-3 still in favor of the conservatives. This was really the main reason for voting last week.

that’s actually incredibly good news considering how stacked the deck was against urban areas in that election. Good sign for November 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I think a bunch of democratic voters got lazy/arrogant after Obama's 8 years and didn't bother to show in 2016. Those people are going to return in massive numbers this year in order to get this lunatic out.

Maybe.  Trump and the GOP will do everything they can to prevent that though.  Don't underestimate the GOP doing everything they can to steal the election.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 2:53 AM, BigDibbs31 said:

Do you believe China's numbers are accurate?  

No I dont. And our numbers are even more inaccurate because you have to practically be dying to even qualify to get tested. 

Look, my post was a bit of hyperbole., but seriously we have to admit -- our government has done just about the worst job of any national government in the world with dealing with this virus.  We had a huge advantage -- the heads up of a couple months -- that other countries did not have, and our government completely squandered it.  Badly.  Testing was available in 3rd world countries like Senegal before it was here.  Right now, to this moment, we still have no ****ing idea how bad things really are, because widespread testing is still not available.  W...T...F...? 

This really should be a watershed moment for America.  Everybody has handled this better than us.  Everybody, including China

• Like 2

Don't worry, since there will be less than 100K dead, Trump and his followers will claimed that they did a very good job.

Which makes me wonder why everyone from the GOP and the WH administration can allow that to happen. Trump is an ass. Everybody got it, but letting him act like he's smart and caring about US people is even more criminal...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, No Excuses said:

This is a long stream of nonsense. We’re in this mess because China knew of a new viral disease outbreak as early as November and failed to notify anyone outside its borders. And then into mid-January lied about no evidence of human to human transmission until cases started popping up internationally. 

Calling a country that suppresses every aspect of human freedom, sends millions into forced labor camps and spent two months covering up a serious issue that is now a global pandemic “humane” is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on this board. 

I didnt mean to imply that China was a model government.  I know very well how crappy the Chinese government is.   It should be shocking that we may in fact be as bad as China when it comes to how humane we are.  My post is intended precisely to get people to wake up -- our government is really really bad right now.  Our leader seriously had to be talked out of just letting the Coronovirus run wild, or "wash over the country," because hes more concerned about the stock market.  That is the epitome of inhumane.  Until we get rid of Trump, we are in no position to call anybody else inhumane. 

As far as China lying to the international community -- do you honestly think that the our government wouldnt have done the same.  He PRACTICALLY ****ING DID.  Trump was playing down the virus until ****ing mid-February, and he didnt have any real reason to other than he and his party are more worried about the effects of an economic slowdown on their reelection chances.   Holy ****ing ****.   

I mean seriosuly, are you not aware what a joke this country has become under Trump?  When its all said and done, I guarantee, we will have been hit the hardest by COVID-19 - and yet we had two months heads up, we are pretty seperated from the rest of the world by two oceans, and we've spent a ****load of money on health care.   Why is that, exactly, you think? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Koala said:

As far as China lying to the international community -- do you honestly think that the our government wouldnt have done the same.  He PRACTICALLY ****ING DID.  Trump was playing down the virus until ****ing mid-February, and he didnt have any real reason to other than he and his party are more worried about the effects of an economic slowdown on their reelection chances. 

He did it longer than that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/trump-is-reportedly-furious-with-the-plunging-stock-market-due-to-coronavirus-fears.html

Has the Der Spiegel story been posted:

https://www.spiegel.de/international/world/the-american-patient-how-trump-is-fueling-a-corona-disaster-a-024a5cc9-2c07-419a-a351-67837b47f6bb?fbclid=IwAR2MUC40-wYijK54yH-BGpkOJFPzF4NQulzq0mekI0QZgA4oCpGePg5RanE

(Could go into multiple threads, but I'll put it here.)  It is depressing.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, visionary said:

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Trump is an ass.

Everybody got it, but letting him act like he's smart and caring about US people is even more criminal...

Trump is an ass.  And a narcissistic sociopath.

Watch him talk about the death of his supposed friend Stanley Chera above.  He quickly pivots to talking about himself - how his "friend" was so excited about him becoming President and about how proud Chera was of how he's doing as President.

Trump had a chance to show some human emotion about how the pandemic has affected him personally.  And like so much else about his handling of this, he failed.

Trump also said his friend was "in his early to mid 80s."  Chera was 77 years old.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Koala said:

I mean seriosuly, are you not aware what a joke this country has become under Trump

Yes Trump is incompetent and he wasted an entire month that we are paying for dearly now. 

No, that does not change the fact that this virus had spread globally by the time China was still lying to the world about the magnitude of the issue. For one, if the outbreak started in America and doctors started sounding the alarm bells, our government doesn't have the authority to send police to reprimand and silence medical professionals. That’s exactly what happened in China. These things matter. Had the world known by December that a new highly contagious respiratory virus is spreading, we would be in a much different place right now and that accounts for our more than pathetic government response.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dan T. said:

Trump is an ass.  And a narcissistic sociopath.

Watch him talk about the death of his supposed friend Stanley Chera above.  He quickly pivots to talking about himself - how his "friend" was so excited about him becoming President and about how proud Chera was of how he's doing as President.

Trump also said his friend was "in his early to mid 80s."  Chera was 77 years old.

I swear I was just saying the same thing to my mother an hour ago. It's insane how he transitioned from the guy who died to talking about himself and how ecstatic he was that he won in 2016.

• Sad 1

I would have bet money on the spot if I could have that Trump was wrong about Chera's age. He's just wrong about almost everything, I probably would have gotten terrible odds regardless of him being such a dear friend that Trump had known for so long.

Trump will come out today saying how he was right somehow, probably go on some sort of birth certificate witch hunt.

Edited by Bonez3
  • Like 1

South Dakota’s governor resisted ordering people to stay home.

Now it has one of the nation’s largest coronavirus hot spots.

Griff Witte, Washington Post

As governors across the country fell into line in recent weeks, South Dakota’s top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home.

Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a “herd mentality.” It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether “to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home.”

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”

But now South Dakota is home to one of the largest single coronavirus clusters anywhere in the United States, with more than 300 workers at a giant ­pork-processing plant falling ill. With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.

“A shelter-in-place order is needed now. It is needed today,” said Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken, whose city is at the center of South Dakota’s outbreak and who has had to improvise with voluntary recommendations in the absence of statewide action.

But the governor continued to resist. Instead, she used a media briefing Monday to announce trials of a drug that President Trump has repeatedly touted as a potential breakthrough in the fight against the coronavirus, despite a lack of scientific evidence.

“It’s an exciting day,” she boasted, repeatedly citing her conversations with presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner.

4L2WGFD5XEI6VECANCMB6SEO5U.jpg&w=1440

More:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/south-dakotas-governor-resisted-ordering-people-to-stay-home-now-it-has-one-of-the-nations-largest-coronavirus-hot-spots/2020/04/13/5cff90fe-7daf-11ea-a3ee-13e1ae0a3571_story.html