Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

The American public isn’t very good at long term thinking. People celebrating a bump in his approval did so when we had barely started feeling the effects of his disastrous response.

Definitely. I had a feeling that there was no way for the bump to last. The "rally around the flag and POTUS in a time of crisis" sentiment could only last so long with such an incompetent response to said crisis. As the death toll continues to climb and more and more people continue to lose their jobs, I think the approval of his handling (and in general) will continue to go down. The April jobs report is going to be absolutely brutal. 

This is going to be an interesting test for his followers. How long can they take a pummeling economic situation before their support of him cools? I used to think a major economic crisis would be the only thing that could shift his core cult, but sadly I'm not so sure anymore. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Definitely. I had a feeling that there was no way for the bump to last. The "rally around the flag and POTUS in a time of crisis" sentiment could only last so long with such an incompetent response to said crisis. As the death toll continues to climb and more and more people continue to lose their jobs, I think the approval of his handling (and in general) will continue to go down. The April jobs report is going to be absolutely brutal. 

This is going to be an interesting test for his followers. How long can they take a pummeling economic situation before their support of him cools? I used to think a major economic crisis would be the only thing that could shift his core cult, but sadly I'm not so sure anymore. 

Never underestimate the human capacity to seek out, perpetuate and tolerate pain and suffering. For most people, it’s an unconscious way of life/living.

Most people’s lives are run by desires and fears. — Eckhart Tolle

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

So this is the so-called pro-life Party.🙄

Bill O’Reilly: Dead Coronavirus Victims ‘Were On Their Last Legs Anyway’

...“Many people who are dying, both here and around the world, were on their last legs anyway,” he said on Sean Hannity’s radio show, according to audio posted online by Media Matters. “I don’t want to sound callous about that.”

Hannity interjected: “You’re gonna get hammered for that.” 

“I don’t care,” O’Reilly said. “A simple man tells the truth.”...

Edited by The Sisko
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

A simple man wouldn’t have a lot to say. And a simple man wouldn’t have a need to get in front of a camera, and speak to a wide audience, to share their ‘opinions’. An egotistical self-serving man would confuse their perspectives for ‘truth’ though. Truth is truth (universal), so it doesn’t need anybody to speak on its behalf.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I can tell you people will be coming out to vote to get Trump in or out of office this time. I wouldn't be surprised if we have more voters than ever this november.  *

* If Republicans allow them to vote.

The voter suppression efforts are going to be absolutely off the hook this fall. Republicans are already laying the groundwork by refusing (so far) to allow people to vote by mail en masse due to COVID-19. Of course they're fine with military members and old white people voting by mail (absentee ballot) because those groups tend to support them. But people who don't support them? Well THAT mail voting is obviously not ok because it's full of fraud...even though it's literally the exact same thing.

It's going to get really really ugly as Trump and the GOP gets more and more desperate as the campaign goes on. 

8 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Maybe we can re-define "late term fetus" to apply up to the age of 65. Perhaps they'd care about them then? 

• Like 4

health care workers and first responders merit every accolade they get...and there's also a lot to thanks to give to a lot of places/people/organizations  running the gamut from espn (big time---impressive) to walmart to local mini-marts to appliance delivery/repair folk to volunteers of every form---and as a personal matter a promised shout-out :) to all the behavioral science grad students around the area volunteering to assist mental health and social services providers who are also stretched so tight and whose jobs are even much more demanding than ever---and on and on

when i am out in public doing essential activity i make it a point that if i do get within audible distance of others, or even just make eye contact, i always try to thank them if they're any kind of worker doing a job at that moment, or just say something positive /friendly and smile and not just live in the tension of the times and the apprehension (or even fear) you may feel just going out to do anything....it helps my outlook and seems very appreciated by everyone...not a bad habit to form given the times and it doesn't cost money :D

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

How can they stop one from getting a absentee ballot if its requested? State of NC has no qualifications to meet. Other than being registered obviously. If you make the request they send you one. 

Tempted to go this route in November. All you really need is two witnesses to sign the ballot. 

Edited by clietas

27 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

health care workers and first responders merit every accolade they get...and there's also a lot to thanks to give to a lot of places/people/organizations  running the gamut from espn (big time---impressive) to walmart to local mini-marts to appliance delivery/repair folk to volunteers of every form---and as a personal matter a promised shout-out :) to all the behavioral science grad students around the area volunteering to assist mental health and social services providers who are also stretched so tight and whose jobs are even much more demanding than ever---and on and on

when i am out in public doing essential activity i make it a point that if i do get within audible distance of others, or even just make eye contact, i always try to thank them if they're any kind of worker doing a job at that moment, or just say something positive /friendly and smile and not just live in the tension of the times and the apprehension (or even fear) you may feel just going out to do anything....it helps my outlook and seems very appreciated by everyone...not a bad habit to form given the times and it doesn't cost money :D

To this point, I have a friend who is a store manager for Target. She and her staff feel like they are considered expendable. And most people coming in are grumpy and take it out on them. Like they "want" to be out of Clorox, Toilet Paper, etc! However, all it takes is a few kind words of appreciation and to let them know that is this type of circumstance they are literally putting their lives on the line so we can get the things we need to survive in our homes.

So I second Jumbo in asking everyone to give a kind word to the cashier at the grocery store or the gas station, the people working at Target, WalMart, Dollar General, CVS, Walgreen etc. Acknowledge their sacrifice and let them know they are appreciated. You have no idea how much you are helping them just get through the day and not feel like society views them as expendable.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Nothing will split the cult from their leader. 

On 4/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, goskins10 said:

The sad part is now they are even accusing Fox of being fake news if they say anything against trump. Instead they are turning to the real nuttso places like OAN, Drudge Report and Breitbart. They make Fox look like the beacon of truth. 

I have a friend who lives on the Eastern Shore - works in Salisbury. She was at a gas station/convenience store and overheard the owner telling a deliveryman the Corona Virus was planted by the Chinese to keep Christians from observing Easter in church where they belong. Just not sure what you do with that. That level of mind numbing ignorance is hard to penetrate. 

I went to school on the eastern shore, seems par for the course to me.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, clietas said:

How can they stop one from getting a absentee ballot if its requested? State of NC has no qualifications to meet. Other than being registered obviously. If you make the request they send you one. 

Tempted to go this route in November. All you really need is two witnesses to sign the ballot. 

I think it's all on a state by state basis. I've seen different info at different places, but from what I've read there seem to be between 15 and 20 states that require an excuse for an absentee ballot and the rest either don't require an excuse or already have all mail voting. Unsurprisingly, the majority of the most restrictive states are deep red. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the few blue states that require excuses and have Dem governors or legislatures remove any barriers and not require excuses. The red states will do anything they can to make sure as few non-military people can vote by mail as possible, but they weren't going for a Dem candidate anyway.

One thing I'm really curious about is if the Trump WH goes in the opposite direction of what has been discussed regarding federal funding or mandated mail in voting and puts forth a plan for the federal government to limit the amount of mail in voting in all states and forces restrictions and the need for an excuse in states that currently don't have those requirements. 

I wouldn't put it past them at all. 

• Thanks 1

On the retail subject,I have often quipped that I've been cussed at more working the floor than when I was a bouncer/bartender. That's not really an exaggeration either. I had hoped this would change as this COVID-19 crisis goes on. Nope.  People are as rude as ever. I get these are trying times,but that's no excuse for some of the behavior I've seen. There are those being nice,(they probably out number the bad ones by a larger margin),,but it's the rude ones who can really test the patience and make you question why the hell you're there.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

I can tell you people will be coming out to vote to get Trump in or out of office this time. I wouldn't be surprised if we have more voters than ever this november. 

I am 38 and have never voted in my life and I am voting this year to vote against him.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 13

Detroit hospital workers say people are dying in the ER hallways before help can arrive

A Detroit hospital has been so overwhelmed by the influx of Covid-19 patients that at least 2 people have died in its emergency room hallways before help can arrive, health care workers there told CNN.

CNN spoke with five hospital workers at Sinai-Grace Hospital, part of the Detroit Medical Center system, who said staff members feel they don't have enough coworkers or supplies to deal with the crisis.

Many of the patients in the ER are presumed Covid-19 positive because they have viral symptoms, but their test results take days to process, hospital workers said.

Conditions are so drastic at Sinai-Grace that on Sunday night, all of the emergency room's night shift nursing staff --seven in total -- staged a sit-in, where they refused to work and demanded that more nurses be sent in to help.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

I can tell you people will be coming out to vote to get Trump in or out of office this time. I wouldn't be surprised if we have more voters than ever this november. 

It depends on corona and the gop suppression effort. If the gop in your state does what Wisconsin did and limit polling in Dem areas. Also, what if second wave starts right before the election and your only option is to go out and vote? Will you risk your life to vote?

15 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It depends on corona and the gop suppression effort. If the gop in your state does what Wisconsin did and limit polling in Dem areas. Also, what if second wave starts right before the election and your only option is to go out and vote? Will you risk your life to vote?

Wouldn’t someone also be risking their life (and way of life) by NOT voting? Lol  What’s the cost of not voting?

Hopefully to implement and preserve a system in the future that won’t risk people’s lives further and unnecessarily. 

It seems like a civil war to me..... but with paper ballots instead of artillery. But blood will be shed. 

This isn’t an election of policies/platforms.... this is an election of red vs blue.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PCS said:

On the retail subject,I have often quipped that I've been cussed at more working the floor than when I was a bouncer/bartender. That's not really an exaggeration either. I had hoped this would change as this COVID-19 crisis goes on. Nope.  People are as rude as ever. I get these are trying times,but that's no excuse for some of the behavior I've seen. There are those being nice,(they probably out number the bad ones by a larger margin),,but it's the rude ones who can really test the patience and make you question why the hell you're there.  

This lady made one of my online shoppers cry over a can of tomatoes.

I had to walk across the street with said can and tell this woman she made a 17year old girl cry over a single can of tomatoes and she should be ashamed of herself.

If people in this country actually cared, they'd stay home/social distance and respect that workers can't really protect themselves.

We're depending on ya'll. 

• Sad 3

I have been trying to come up with a term for grocery store workers.  "Third responders" (doctors and nurses are 2nd)?  Who knew they were so vital --- I have thanked everyone that had been helpful and working in this environment. 

It took 20 mins to get into Trader Joe's.  They made us stand away from the register to bag and when I paid they stepped away from the register.

Only item out that we would have wanted was flour.  

• Like 3