Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

As someone who finances aircraft, from $20K to $20 million.  I see financials, bank statements, and credit reports all day, every day.  Liquid reserves are king in aviation financing.  I can't tell you how many americans, from those making $50K per year to those making $400-500K per year, have virtually no liquidity.  Lighting money on fire is the american way across all demographics.  

I entirely believe that 40% of americans don't have access to $400 at a given time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is where I feel like some of us will be able to chuckle.  The poor are used to being poor.  But much of the rich have little in actual liquidity.  So they are the bigger losers financially.  They will learn quick that you can't eat stocks and bonds.

True, for those of us outside the top 1% and above. Those folks might get a pretty good haircut on their net worth, but does it really matter to you if your net worth drops from say $2 Billion to $1B? I think those folks can just wait it out, buy more stuff on the cheap and get even richer on the other side. I guess the system works then.

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

looks like the hoarding of goods has moved from toilet paper and meats now to chips and medicine.

people are insane.

Well, chips are a staple food in the US.

7 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

$0.00 in federal taxes paid from my understanding. 

Yeah, read that in one of the articles in this thread. Plus, they're all 'flagged' in different countries (Liberia, Bahamas, etc.) If I'm recalling this correctly, the flagging in non-US countries allows them to follow that countries employment rules instead of US rules (i.e., pay low wages, treat people like ****, etc.)

Travel related industries should be towards the bottom of the list for bailouts. White House Occupant has his own business interests at the forefront of $$, obviously, because he's an asshole.  

• Like 1

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m certainly not planning on leaving my employees in the cold...

As far as I know, that puts you in a very small but very well respected minority. In its rush to get funding through to the public, I doubt the government is giving much consideration to businesses who take your approach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

As far as I know, that puts you in a very small but very well respected minority. In its rush to get funding through to the public, I doubt the government is giving much consideration to businesses who take your approach.

Agreed. My girlfriend works for a small company and her owner has let them know that they will likely be furloughed if operations must shut down (they haven't had to yet). It's a lot to expect a business owner to be able to cover salaries for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Agreed. My girlfriend works for a small company and her owner has let them know that they will likely be furloughed if operations must shut down (they haven't had to yet). It's a lot to expect a business owner to be able to cover salaries for a long time. 

Yeah I think the discrepancy is just expectations. People who are thinking this will go away in a month or two can say yeah we’ll keep paying everyone. People who realize we’re likely looking at a multi-year old effort know there’s no way to keep paying people at the same rate if they aren’t earning money. 

2 minutes ago, China said:

So I'm looking at the JHU Coronavirus dashboard and there are zero (0) people in the US that have recovered from the virus.  That can't be right.  Somebody must have recovered by now.  I think not only are the number of cases artificially low because of the poor testing, but reporting anything other than deaths isn't accurate.

Not even the death numbers are accurate.  There have been deaths in patients who have suspected/likely COVID19 but who aren't counted in the total if the testing wasn't done.   Hopefully going forward that will be less of an issue.   

I mean the reality is this social distancing thing is gonna be over with in a month or two.  People will lose jobs and run out of money and have to do something besides sit in the house and starve.   So you will see people ignoring it if/when it gets to that point.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, China said:

So I'm looking at the JHU Coronavirus dashboard and there are zero (0) people in the US that have recovered from the virus.  That can't be right.  Somebody must have recovered by now.  I think not only are the number of cases artificially low because of the poor testing, but reporting anything other than deaths isn't accurate.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find any site that has a count of the actual tests conducted OR the number of tests requested (i.e., in the queue to be tested).

We have doubled the number of cases from March 16th to TODAY. 

March 16th - 3,487 Cases  68 Deaths    from the CDC website during the day 3/16

March 18th - 7,392 Cases   112 Deaths   from CNN on TV 15-20 minutes ago

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-51945855/coronavirus-temporary-hospital-being-built-in-moscow

So far, Russia has reported a low number of cases which officials claim is the result of their swift reaction to the outbreak in neighbouring China.

On the outskirts of Moscow, urgent building works are underway to build a temporary hospital.

Something must be up if Russia has kept low numbers of cases for this long but still expects to need a temporary hospital.

11 minutes ago, China said:

This site I'm looking at says 106 recovered: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/