Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Ok, same thing I was googling.

Any thoughts on what the president wishes to control?

Medical supplies first. Also food and gas.

After that who knows. I'd like to see him shut everything down for a while and force everyone to chill the **** out and start taking this seriously. The fact that almost everyone seems to be more concerned about how to work from home, than what is going on, doesn't help (I don't think.) Shutting things down for a week will cause people to wrap their heads around what is/isn't important right now.

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What is CMS?

And am I the only one that finds "Kung Flu" at least a little funny?

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid

https://www.cms.gov/

They drive a lot of policy at the hospital level. Mostly because a high % of their patients use Medicare and Medicaid, so they have to in order to be reimbursed correctly. The spillover effect is that they then use that as policy to treat everyone.

so CMS has an incredible amount of power in hospital decision making.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid

https://www.cms.gov/

They drive a lot of policy at the hospital level. Mostly because a high % of their patients use Medicare and Medicaid, so they have to in order to be reimbursed correctly. The spillover effect is that they then use that as policy to treat everyone.

so CMS has an incredible amount of power in hospital decision making.

Thanks.  I'm supposed to have shoulder surgery beginning of April but it is at the military hospital.  No word yet on if it is still a go.

21 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:
You read that correctly, -12%.

which is why I was asking before what economic cost is worth shutting every thing down to slow the inevitable spread of the virus. It’s worth at least thinking about. 

the 12 percent isn’t from the virus, it’s from the response to it..

22 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:
You read that correctly, -12%.

Planet Money put out a short podcast yesterday about this. The expert they used had conservatively predicted -6%. Emphasis on conservative - as in best case scenario. That's what his model produced.

For comparison purposes, the 2008 financial crisis had a  -4.5%.

They're also looking at around 20% unemployment.

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

which is why I was asking before what economic cost is worth shutting every thing down to slow the inevitable spread of the virus. It’s worth at least thinking about. 

NO IT'S NOT WORTH THINKING ABOUT

You keep using numbers that come from drastic measures and shutting countries down, to justify not taking drastic measures to shut our country down.

It's been pointed out quite a few times to you. Do yous till not understand that if we do not shut it down, it is believed the numbers we're currentlyw orking with will be significantly worse?

Do you not understand that you cannot take numbers from a country that shut everything down, and then use them as what our numbers will be if we don't shut everything down?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Thanks.  I'm supposed to have shoulder surgery beginning of April but it is at the military hospital.  No word yet on if it is still a go.

I'd be prepared for it to be delayed. I know someone in North Carolina working in the military's medical system who's lab is being used for civilian coronavirus test results. He said that military hospitals also generally take civilian cases in the more rural areas, so if the main hospitals are cancelling surgeries, I'd expect military hospitals to follow suit. That said, I've never worked in the military, so I'd take that all with a shaker full of salt.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It's a fair question.  But if there is an uncontrolled spread with even 1-2% of the population dying (and using up hospital resources in the process), I would imagine the GDP hit would be devastating too.  Would it be more, less, or even?  That I have no idea. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Ok, same thing I was googling.

Any thoughts on what the president wishes to control?

whatever production capability needed primarily, be it medical related or infrastructure/food/energy

The administration needs to make some economic/policy moves to reassure americans right now.

Not to help the stock market

They need to get a national program in place to suspend mortgage/rent, utilities, and come up with a program to get people money to buy food. Not paltry bull**** either, they need to be able to shop for food the way they always have.

The goal needs to be to reasure the american people with measures that actually take away some fears. Like, how do i pay my bills? how am i going to find food? is my employer going to stop paying me? will i have a job when this is over.

Once we get to a point where people have accepted the environment and have calmed down, we can start talking about what to do about the overal economy and stock market situation.

Until then, other moves are a waste of time we don't have.

• Like 2

Stock market is in pure panic now. Someone's gonna tell Agent Orange reinstituting the uptick rule or banning short-selling will stop the selling, and it will for a time. But it will also blowup many hedge fund strategies and destroy what little confidence is left.

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@tshile Also where are businesses going to get the money to pay their employees...

?

Businesses aren't going to be able to pay their employees. They're going to have no customers. Once their cash reserves run out, they're done.

The policy needs to target americans directly. not some nonsense that sends money to other entities under the guise that it'll funnel down, a la trickle down economics.

When the consumers can consume regularly, the businesses can be businesses again. Until consumers can consume, businesses don't matter.

People need to stop looking at the "now" and start getting on board with what next month is going to look like.

Cause we need decisions that are geared towards addressing the problems that will come up next month. And the month after. And what it looks like to shut things down for 4-6 months.

not what's happening today. That's how we got in this mess. No one with any foresight making decisions.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It is directly due to the failed, inadequate response to the virus.  If the gov't had taken this seriously at the appropriate time (when every expert in the field was yelling about it in mid-January), we could have had a far more targeted response, far less disruption, and our economy would be affected far less.  

Once again, when a problem expands exponentially, the right time to act is when it seems far too early.  This is basic and simple, and their failure to understand this is pathetic.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So you're saying if everyone keeps going to work/school, etc. and contracts the virus, none of them will be out sick or dead so economic activity will continue as usual? Even for small businesses? You're also assuming that people won't be afraid of being either sick or dead and hence won't change their normal patterns as a result, not matter what they're told. Is that it? Now maybe the economic impact wouldn't be as severe, but there's no real way of knowing that. In essence you're recommending risking massive loss of life in exchange for a chance that the economic impact will be a little less. Are you one of those right to life types? If so, would it help to tell you the entire world's population are former fetuses?

1 minute ago, bcl05 said:

It is directly due to the failed, inadequate response to the virus.  If the gov't had taken this seriously at the appropriate time (when every expert in the field was yelling about it in mid-January), we could have had a far more targeted response, far less disruption, and our economy would be affected far less.  

Once again, when a problem expands exponentially, the right time to act is when it seems far too early.  This is basic and simple, and their failure to understand this is pathetic.  

It’s 50 years of pathetic inaction to climate change all bundled up into an 8 week period. Good times. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

$1,000 stimulus check in 2 months is going to do DICK.

And this is the one time **** will roll uphill.

When the lower income people stop paying their bills, the next level up will stop having money cause their employers won't have money cause bills aren't being paid.

And up the levels we go.

So if the people standing on the hill don't figure it out quick, they're going to wind up being run over by a giant ****ball they didn't see coming.

1 minute ago, The Sisko said:

In essence you're recommending risking massive loss of life in exchange for a chance that the economic impact will be a little less.

Yup

And worse, keeps doing it. Every day tries to throw this idea out there. Every day it gets shot down. But back the next to try it again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@tshile Also where are businesses going to get the money to pay their employees...

When businesses close down during a quarantine, businesses won't be paying their employees. No hours worked = No pay. That's why the government is making plans for paying individuals.

In general, I'm against "free money" policies where everyone gets a check. But in a massive catastrophe like this where it is literally impossible to earn a living, I believe it is necessary as long as they keep a cutoff line to not waste money on the wealthy. It sucks that it's going to cost so much, but this is one of the times where we're going to have to eat it.