Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 hours ago, bearrock said:

Things are bleak

The tone of this thread has been hysterical.  It's a flu.  Yes lots of people are going to die from it, but that's always the case with the flu.  We've lived with that reality always.  For the vast majority of us, we'll catch it, we'll feel like crap for four or five days, have a righteous cough, take a couple of greasy dumps, and then move on with our lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

We get all that ^ with the economic crisis associated with telling everyone to stop what they are doing..

Widespread unemployment will be the worst and most far reaching impact of this disease.  But it's going to be a recession tied directly to the disease.  Businesses will reopen and commerce will resume when the pandemic is over.  People will start working and spending again.

43 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The tone of this thread has been hysterical.  It's a flu.  Yes lots of people are going to die from it, but that's always the case with the flu.  We've lived with that reality always.  For the vast majority of us, we'll catch it, we'll feel like crap for four or five days, have a righteous cough, take a couple of greasy dumps, and then move on with our lives.

gtfo out here with this garbage. This is not the goddamn flu. It has a hospitalization rate 20x that of the flu and it’s currently burning through our population like a California wildfire. Hospitals are going to be overwhelmed and our ability to successfully treat patients will be severely impacted. These aren’t worst case scenarios, they’re what is happening right ****ing now and in the coming month. 20x the hospitalization rate and good chance we’ll see 20x the fatality rate of the flu. Oh and btw in any given year upwards of half our population is vaccinated against the flu, drastically limiting even the worst case scenario. 

The worst case scenarios for covid are absolutely brutal for our country and especially the rest of the world. If we can somehow stop this thing within 2 years, it will still take years to recover economically. 

This situation is not a joke. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 11

28 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

RIP, McQueen

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is both ignorant and incorrect.  It is absolutely, definitively, clearly, not a flu.  There is a lot of easily accessible accurate information available from experts in the field.  There are many first-hand accounts of health care providers on the front lines fighting this disease. 

To be this wrong takes effort.  Don't be this wrong.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Does anyone know if, and how, domestic air travel will be affected ?

If you have a domestic U.S. flight scheduled, and you plan to take it, is there a high chance that either the flight could be canceled, or there be some kind of airline shutdown ?

And would you get a full refund in that case ?

They want to keep your money. They’ll give you an airline credit good for a year or something like that. 

Related: my Tool concert for next month wasn’t cancelled. It was “postponed.” Meaning they keep my money and my ticket is good for whenever they reschedule. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Image result for steve mcqueen gun gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Ultimately viruses will propagate wherever the most people are....

I look at it this way: More will be infected quicker if the population is higher and dense in the region where the virus starts from. The density or close proximity is the reason as to how quickly it spread in China. What didn't help in the matter is how vicious this virus turned out to be compared to the other coronaviruses. 

19 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

They want to keep your money. They’ll give you an airline credit good for a year or something like that. 

Related: my Tool concert for next month wasn’t cancelled. It was “postponed.” Meaning they keep my money and my ticket is good for whenever they reschedule. 

17 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I've had to cancel/reschedule 3 trips in March/April.  Airlines have all made it easy and given me full credit without expiration.  

Thanks.

Also, just out of curiosity, I wonder what happens if someone starts coughing chronically on a flight, before or after take-off ?

Do they lock them up in a lavatory ? Remove them from the plane, or make an emergency landing ?

I'm sure there's some crazy flight stories like that already. I just havn't been watching a lot of the news lately.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Thanks.

Also, just out of curiosity, I wonder what happens if someone starts coughing chronically on a flight, before or after take-off ?

Do they lock them up in a lavatory ? Remove them from the plane, or make an emergency landing ?

I'm sure there's some crazy flight stories like that already. I just havn't been watching a lot of the news lately.

I’ve seen a few stories where people coughing on planes have been forcibly tossed out in midair by other passengers. :) 

• Haha 1

Did someone hack your account?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I would like to believe that this wouldn't be much worse than a bad flu season.  2 weeks back, I crossed my fingers that it would be an event to look back on and joke about, like the Y2K hysteria.  But I am 46 years old, and what I have seen in this past week is unprecedented.  There is just so much uncertainty right now. I'm self employed in the mental health field.  I see clients in as very red state(South Dakota).  I repeatedly hear that this whole thing is overblown.  My no show/cancelation rate has jumped from 10% to 60% this week.  Previous missed appointments were usually scheduled for the next week.  Now, clients are saying "I'll call back next month if it looks like things are calming down.  Here in SD, our state just announced that it has no materials to run any further tests, so good news South Dakota, your confirmed cases number will not rise for a while!

My sister works for the largest health system in the state, she has been calling people when results were negative.  Now she is calling to tell them they are not going to get any results in the near future.  

When you reach my age, you kind of get the feeling that you have enough life experience to know that ups and downs happen, and things will work out in the long term.  I honestly don't have any idea at this point what next month will look like.

• Like 4

It's far more contagious than the flu with far higher mortality with no targeted treatment.  It's a little more than the flu.  The health experts and those running the government of every affected country aren't panicking because they are stupid.  And totally irresponsible attitude like yours makes the situation that much worse.  

• Like 2

I didn't know you leaned right wing.

Trump and his government downplayed the whole thing and didn't take it seriously.  It was in China, so why care.  We have no idea how bad this thing will be.   We are only now, slowly starting to ramp up testing.   We don't know who has it.  So, even if the a majority won't be adversely affected; they are carrying the virus and many will come in contact with people who will be adversely affected.  Why do you think we are shutting everything down.  To prevent the spread.

As for economic impact; no there won't be a quick recovery, if this shutdown lasts more than a month.  Small businesses will go bellyup; throwing even more people on the unemployment line.  We are already seeing a sharp rise in unemployment claims and there's no guarantee those people will have jobs when this over.   This thing could really spiral into a great depression and if that happens, it's going to a long time to recover from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4