Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Social distancing might prevent that from happening. We started social distancing faster than the Italians. We don’t know when we start getting accurate data on spread but it’s possible that we limited spread somewhat by acting fast on shutting down public gatherings in areas experiencing outbreaks.

My daughter's school, Falls Church City Public schools. announced today they will be closed until April 14th.

My son's university originally planned to have students stay home when they went home for Spring Break on March 28th, but announced just now that they are suspending in person classes as of 5 pm today, all students are to return home as soon as possible, and virtual classes will start April 6th.

The Dos and Don’ts of ‘Social Distancing’

Experts weigh in on whether you should cancel your dates, dinner parties, and gym sessions.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued guidelines for “community mitigation strategies” to limit the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, which include recommendations for “social distancing”—a term that epidemiologists are using to refer to a conscious effort to reduce close contact between people and hopefully stymie community transmission of the virus.

But what exactly does “social distancing” look like for a woman trying to go about her life while staying healthy and helping keep the people around her healthy? Even detailed instructions are difficult to sift for actionable advice. If I have a fourth date tonight, do I go? If I’m invited to a wedding in two weeks in another state, is it too late to cancel? If we’re on lockdown, and I live alone, can I walk to my friend’s apartment when I feel sad? If I end up officially quarantined, can I walk around the park at night for some fresh air?

The CDC guidelines acknowledge factors like the size of a community, its population density, its access to health care, and caveats that social-distancing measures can “be scaled up or down depending on the evolving local situation.” There are conflicting messages coming from media and people’s peers: On Reddit, young people are signing a “self-quarantine manifesto” while, at a press conference, the mayor of New York City is telling people to continue visiting bars and restaurants as normal, to protect the local economy.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Social distancing might prevent that from happening. We started social distancing faster than the Italians. We don’t know when we start getting accurate data on spread but it’s possible that we limited spread somewhat by acting fast on shutting down public gatherings in areas experiencing outbreaks.

The really stupid thing about all this is that these measures that are right now being derided by morons as "hysteria" and "overreactions" and "plots to hurt Trump" may actually dramatically soften the damage done and those same morons will be on the other side saying "see, it wasn't a big deal" solely because of the actions taken now. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3

So one thing I'm wondering is this--  If South Korea has managed to test 100,000 people, they must have a ton of test kits.  Why can't the United States purchase some of these kits from the South Korean government (or from the manufacturer)?

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The really stupid thing about all this is that these measures that are right now being derided by morons as "hysteria" and "overreactions" and "plots to hurt Trump" may actually dramatically soften the damage done and those same morons will be on the other side saying "see, it wasn't a big deal" solely because of the actions taken now. 

That occurred to me too.  I was telling my pops this morning that I didn't care as long at it didn't get outta hand.  Doing the right thing isn't always the easy (or gratifying) thing.

Edited by KAOSkins

Army signs agreement with drug giant Gilead on experimental COVID-19 treatment

"Together with our government and industry partners, we are progressing at almost revolutionary rates to deliver effective treatment and prevention products that will protect the citizens of the world and preserve the readiness and lethality of our service members,” Army Brig. Gen. Michael Talley, commanding general of USAMRDC and Fort Detrick, Maryland, said in a statement Tuesday.

26 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think the word you're looking for to describe this outcome is irony.  The people are clearly stupid.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the GIS map maintained by Johns Hopkins is not really work today.  The number of U.S. cases dropped by 500 on the map because half of the states red bubbles disappeared.

Are there other similar maps out there?

Edited by kfrankie
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I wish it were true that the actions currently being taken would dramatically reduce the impact.  It the nation were to ignore Trump, and do What Needs To Be Done, despite him?  And the result is Trumpers claiming that they're right?  

Then let them do it.  I'll trade Trump's self-congratulations for a significantly less-harmed country.  

Don't see it happening, though.  Maybe the things people are doing despite Trump will lessen the impact.  But it's not going to be "no big deal".  

Maybe what people are doing might turn "zombie apocalypse" into "great depression".  But I don't think it's gonna be any better than that.  

30 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

I think the word you're looking for to describe this outcome is irony.  The people are clearly stupid.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the GIS map maintained by Johns Hopkins is not really work today.  The number of U.S. cases dropped by 500 on the map because half of the states red bubbles disappeared.

Are there other similar maps out there?

I hope that isn't our government pressuring to keep numbers looking artificially low.

41 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

So one thing I'm wondering is this--  If South Korea has managed to test 100,000 people, they must have a ton of test kits.  Why can't the United States purchase some of these kits from the South Korean government (or from the manufacturer)?

tom-cotton.jpg

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This is the industry I work in. With testing and being able to get those people home or to the hospital will help. But with this virus, you're spreading it for days before feeling sick. Also, we are at least a year from a vaccine. So, this is going to recycle at least one more time if not more.

As of a few days ago the inside thought was 3 waves this year alone. 

that may have changed by now. 

50 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-test-kits-south-korea-us/2020/03/13/007f14fc-64a1-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html

On Feb. 4, two weeks after South Korea reported its first coronavirus case, the government gave “emergency approval” for Seoul-based Kogene Biotech to move ahead with the test kits.

The company already had lab work underway for the test kits, anticipating that the coronavirus would spill over from China.

Production has been steadily ramped up to 10,000 kits a week. Each kit can administer 50 tests, and each person is tested twice on average for accuracy. That leaves the potential to test 250,000 people a week.

Kogene currently exports test kits for the novel virus to 35 countries in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

Trump, come on....  What the **** are you doing....

• Like 1

Spain declares state of emergency after 1,063 coronavirus cases in a day - tourist warning

The new figures show Spain now has 4,209 confirmed cases and a revised death toll of 120 - the second-highest number of cases in Europe, after Italy. A "state of alert" would be the first of three stages of the state of emergency. The new rules last for 15 days and empowers the government to take wide-ranging measures including confining people,  ordering mass evacuations, and imposing rationing.

Spain Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said the country expects to exceed 10,000 coronavirus cases by the beginning of next week.

The state of emergency, which Mr Sanchez said will formally be decided by a cabinet meeting on Saturday, will give the government power to take wide-ranging measures including temporarily occupying factories or any other premises except private homes.

Click on the link for the full article

56 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I'm sure Trump's ego and national pride is getting in the way.  Americans can do it better, faster, etc. regardless of whether or not it's true.

Just now, China said:

I'm sure Trump's ego and national pride is getting in the way.  Americans can do it better, faster, etc. regardless of whether or not it's true.

I am sure I am preaching go the choir, so this is not meant as a correction to your comment, but instead building on - In  fairness, we are capable of doing just that. But when you ignore science and make decisions based on the stock market and your own popularity, it does not allow the medical community and other experts in responding to issues like this the ability to react appropriately. 

• Like 1