Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

57 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Seems like we are overreacting as usual. Seems the mortality rate is (so far) is less than half of that of the flu. 

There's really no credible way to make this assessment since public health researchers don't have a lot of good data to work with yet.

The only thing we know so far is the mode of transmission and that people are contagious during incubation. One possible conclusion to draw so far is that we may actually not be able to contain this virus and that it becomes a commonly occurring respiratory illness in humans throughout the world: https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/26/containing-new-coronavirus-may-not-be-feasible-experts-say/ 

But how the illness plays out and who is especially vulnerable is extremely difficult to pinpoint right now because we aren't getting a clear picture out of China, probably due to secrecy from the CCP and that their healthcare system isn't well equipped to deal with this situation.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Seems like we are overreacting as usual. The reported mortality rate (so far) is less than half of that of the flu. 

Glad you think you know more than the cdc and various hospitals and health departments. 

12 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

But how the illness plays out and who is especially vulnerable is extremely difficult to pinpoint right now because we aren't getting a clear picture out of China, probably due to secrecy from the CCP and that their healthcare system isn't well equipped to deal with this situation.

and it showed up here very quickly. And it’s worse than is being reported in the media. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Glad you think you know more than the cdc and various hospitals and health departments. 

It's not the CDC that is over reacting - it is much of the media, social media and you, that are.

Edited by nonniey
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

and it showed up here very quickly. And it’s worse than is being reported in the media. 

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

It's not the CDC that is over reacting - it is the much of the media, social media and you that are.

So is the media over reporting it, under reporting it, or what?  How do we honestly know?  Is the CDC trustworthy?  I certainly hope so.  Is China trustworthy?  Of course its not. 

Are CNN and FoxNews trustworthy?  Perhaps moreso on this type of issue because its (at least not yet) not overly political.  Watch what happens if a certain someone issues a travel ban and refuses to allow Chinese citizens and people who have traveled to Wuhan into the U.S.  FoxNews will tell you its the new black plague, and CNN will tell you its not all that bad, but even if it was we should still let everyone in without restriction, testing, quarantine, etc.

58 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

So is the media over reporting it, under reporting it, or what?  How do we honestly know?  Is the CDC trustworthy?  I certainly hope so.  Is China trustworthy?  Of course its not. 

Are CNN and FoxNews trustworthy?  Perhaps moreso on this type of issue because its (at least not yet) not overly political.  Watch what happens if a certain someone issues a travel ban and refuses to allow Chinese citizens and people who have traveled to Wuhan into the U.S.  FoxNews will tell you its the new black plague, and CNN will tell you its not all that bad, but even if it was we should still let everyone in without restriction, testing, quarantine, etc.

I'm more concerned with banner headlines for everyone that is getting tested, or social media posts/tweets that say 2% death rate of hospitalized patients???? - OMG that means 6 million will die, stock market jitters -etc. etc. 

• Like 1

I'm with @No Excuses that this is shaping into jus one more thing we gotta watch out for and cant control anymore then we can the flu.

My wife and I both got what the doctors called a winter virus, not the flu, so gave us decongestants and antibiotics.  When I asked him if antibiotics were for bacteria not viruses, he jus looked at me like I wasnt qualified to understand his answer.

Like has been mentioned earlier, we have to see what the survival rate is here in the states instead of trusting what China is telling us.  I can see a future where "Flu Season" becomes a synonym for "hope you dont get sick" season, if it isnt already.  I'm already in "is what it is" mode, the quicker the media gets bored with this, the better.

Edited by Renegade7

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

It's not the CDC that is over reacting - it is much of the media, social media and you, that are.

I’m getting my info from the cdc health departments and hospitals

as in conference calls with them. 

tell me again who’s over reacting about what and where your information is coming from?

53 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm with @No Excuses that this is shaping into jus one more thing we gotta watch out for and cant control anymore then we can the flu.

I think it highlights the value of global cooperation on health issues at this level

the way air travel works, the difference in how countries and cultures operate, makes it easier than ever for something to get out of control. 

part of the problem is it originated from a state that doesn’t value openness with the global community, and may have not been prepared for something like this (I hear experts saying this but I read China is deploying 1000 bed pop up hospitals, and it’s hard for me to square those ideas cause that seems pretty prepared to me but what do I know?)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think it highlights the value of global cooperation on health issues at this level

the way air travel works, the difference in how countries and cultures operate, makes it easier than ever for something to get out of control. 

part of the problem is it originated from a state that doesn’t value openness with the global community, and may have not been prepared for something like this (I hear experts saying this but I read China is deploying 1000 bed pop up hospitals, and it’s hard for me to square those ideas cause that seems pretty prepared to me but what do I know?)

I'm willing to bet that China's idea of a "pop-up hospital" is more like "1000 cots/mattresses in a parking lot under a large canopy, with space heaters to keep people warm and generators to run any medical equipment."

Edit:  With the #1 priority being that the location is out of public view to prevent any negative press.  Better to just call it a "pop-up hospital" than an "obvious attempt to get sick people away from prying eyes."

Edited by kfrankie

1 hour ago, tshile said:

(I hear experts saying this but I read China is deploying 1000 bed pop up hospitals, and it’s hard for me to square those ideas cause that seems pretty prepared to me but what do I know?)

I’d assume they would be a style used for the military.  Doesn’t seem odd that something like that would be had in storage.

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

They showed it on TV the other day, about 30 excavators, front loaders, & such were all moving around a plot of land.

Burying their dead?

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

That's their advantage, their population. They can build a state of the art hospital in probably a week. 

FTFY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, kfrankie said:

So is the media over reporting it, under reporting it, or what?  How do we honestly know?  Is the CDC trustworthy?  I certainly hope so. 

I think if you happen to have any expertise in a field and find the mainstream media covering it as a breaking story, you’ll find yourself amazed at how they could always manage to misreport it. Under report, over report, just focus on the wrong things. It doesn’t matter. 

it’s not shocking people that host shows where the sole purpose is to bring eyeballs, tend to have on guests that behave in a way and propose narratives that excite people (negatively or positively, and if you can do both they’ll have you back)

I trust the cdc, unless someone has a good case to present that they‘ve recently fallen into incompetence or corruption. 

usually the biggest problem the cdc has is people not understanding how important they are, and being used as a political pog. 

The problem is the people that know aren’t allowed to say things outside of official channels. There are good reasons for that (and yes there exists a path within that framework where it can be done for bad reasons.)

the people willing to go say things, don’t really know and are guessing or playing a game of telephone  

there are serious causes of concern about this. 

but it’s not MERS. Which is good. 

It’s be better if China would decide that contributing to the global community is more important than some sense of pride or something 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think if you happen to have any expertise in a field and find the mainstream media covering it as a breaking story, you’ll find yourself amazed at how they could always manage to misreport it. Under report, over report, just focus on the wrong things. It doesn’t matter.

This. Working in a field where this happens every day made me realize that most (all?) journalists are just people with opinions and agendas who are trying to get clicks and views.  They’re experienced at reporting the news, but that’s about as far as their expertise goes, and when it comes to the details and nuance of any of the issues that the groups in my field work with they are almost always wrong.

Because of this, I figure that pretty much every complex issue that gets reported is *at best* 50% true.

• Like 2

Yeah. Don’t get me wrong, there’s quality journalism out there. But you’ll find it in long form and investigative things. Items that take people a while to put together. 

breaking news journalism is mostly a joke. 

they cover my field a lot. They don’t do well on the breaking news stuff. That includes otherwise respectable outlets like the post. 

Edit: honestly twitter could replace the entire breaking news industry and we wouldn’t be worse off. Might better off. I’m like half kidding. I think. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, tshile said:

Yeah. Don’t get me wrong, there’s quality journalism out there. But you’ll find it in long form and investigative things. Items that take people a while to put together. 

breaking news journalism is mostly a joke. 

they cover my field a lot. They don’t do well on the breaking news stuff. That includes otherwise respectable outlets like the post. 

Edit: honestly twitter could replace the entire breaking news industry and we wouldn’t be worse off. Might better off. I’m like half kidding. I think. 

If anything if you add enough new sources in and outside the United States, you can see how many of them are saying the same thing on certain issues.  

I dont believe being first is more important then being right when you have that many news sources.  The hard part is seeing who's quoting what, sometimes BS gets spread from BS quoting BS.

@visionary is also on twitter,  but again, this is just my opinion, Twitter is not an official news source, I jus find it easier to get more direct information, why I follow certain politicians and government organizations as well to hear from horses mouth.  I follow Trump, too.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

What I wonder about is if this gets loose in widespread contact in various populations will it/can it mutate into something worse? We have seen it before, flu-esque organisms are prime movers for contagion and are subject to swine/bat/rat/etc. cross-contaminations that add/subtract bits of code to alter the initial virus.

But at this point, I am almost rooting for a new plague

41 minutes ago, nonniey said:

That is just what progressivism today is. 

I don't think that true of progressive politics at all, but it certainly seems to be a common refrain in environmentalist circles.  I don't think any leading figure would be dumb enough to attach their name to something this inflammatory (and stupid) but it's comes up frequently in discussions.