Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

13 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It would take at least nine years to build In America what China has built in nine days. America would be dead by then..

Not buying that

https://www.brookings.edu/research/global-manufacturing-scorecard-how-the-us-compares-to-18-other-nations/

Table 1: Leading countries on manufacturing output, 2015

Country Manufacturing Output (USD in billions) Percent of National Output Percent of Global Manufacturing
China $2,010 27% 20%
United States 1,867 12 18
Japan 1,063 19 10
Germany 700 23 7
South Korea 372 29 4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

That is in dollars. Everyone knows America manufacturing is expensive.  Show me the chart again in tonnag.

However, I was referring to infrastructure.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

31 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

That is in dollars. Everyone knows America manufacturing is expensive.  Show me the chart again in tonnag.

However, I was referring to infrastructure.

Then you jus split your post in half. 

We didnt win world war 2 because we built the interstate highway system, it didnt exist yet. We won in large part because we able to convert our factories into building military equipment instead.

In regards to building a hospital in 9 days, let's see how it works first before we say they did it right.  I'd seriously like to know why they arent jus moving equipment into bubbles or converting buildings like schools to do this, why build a hospital from scratch?

And keep in mind, China shortcuts everything and makes people do things out of fear as an authoritarian government.  I noted earlier in the thread they could jus start killing folks to prevent losing control of the situation, even if that works they shouldnt get credit for it.

• Like 1

Looks like China is keeping its neighbors "in the loop" so to speak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/world/asia/china-coronavirus-philippines-thailand.html

Quieter Response to Coronavirus in Countries Where China Holds Sway

BANGKOK — In Myanmar, loudspeakers broadcast advice from Buddhist monks: Seven ground peppercorns, exactly seven, placed on the tongue will ward off the coronavirus spreading across Asia and the world.

In Indonesia, Terawan Agus Putranto, the health minister, advised citizens to relax and eschew overtime work to avoid the disease, which has killed more than 360 people and infected more than 17,000 others, mostly in China.

“To prevent it is very easy as long as your immunity is good,” Mr. Terawan said.

And in Cambodia, Prime Minister Hun Sen told a packed news conference on Thursday that he would kick out anyone who was wearing a surgical mask because such measures were creating an unwarranted climate of fear. “The prime minister doesn’t wear a mask,” he said, “so why do you?”

Click link to read full article.  That is, if you trust the NY Times.  Or, so the Germans would have you think...

Am I wrong for hoping this collapses Chinas economy and threatens their authoritarian governments legitimacy into momentum towards democracy?  Itll almost undoubtedly lead to a global recession and extremely ugly attempt at a crackdown there.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Am I wrong for hoping this collapses Chinas economy and threatens their authoritarian governments legitimacy into momentum towards democracy?  Itll almost undoubtedly lead to a global recession and extremely ugly attempt at a crackdown there.

Yea, because the chinese government is stable and not openly hostile to US policy. I think if the economy collapses, china will be looking to place blame on someone. What better scapegoat than america. Likely you get a much more hostile chinese government. Democracy doesn’t really seam to work al that well for most of the world. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Yea, because the chinese government is stable and not openly hostile to US policy. I think if the economy collapses, china will be looking to place blame on someone. What better scapegoat than america. Likely you get a much more hostile chinese government. Democracy doesn’t really seam to work al that well for most of the world. 

Dont know if I agree with "not openly hostile", but do agree they will likely double down on rhetoric against scapegoats as they try to maintain legitimacy.  Authoritarianism 101.

AI Predicts Coronavirus Could Infect 2.5 Billion And Kill 53 Million. Doctors Say That’s Not Credible, And Here’s Why

An AI-powered simulation run by a technology executive says that Coronavirus could infect as many as 2.5 billion people within 45 days and kill as many as 52.9 million of them. Fortunately, however, conditions of infection and detection are changing, which in turn changes incredibly important factors that the AI isn’t aware of.

And that probably means we’re safer than we think.

Probably being the operative word.

A new site that tracks Coronavirus infections globally says we are currently at 24,566 infected, 493 dead, and 916 recovered.

All this prompted James Ross, co-founder of fintech startup HedgeChatter, to build a model for estimating the total global reach of Coronavirus.

"I started with day over day growth,” he told me, using publicly available data released by China. “[I then] took that data and dumped it into an AI neural net using a RNN [recurrent neural network] model and ran the simulation ten million times. That output dictated the forecast for the following day. Once the following day’s output was published, I grabbed that data, added it to the training data, and re-ran ten million times.”

The result so far have successfully predicted the following day’s publicly-released numbers within 3%, Ross says.

The results were shocking. Horrific, even.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

Tencent may have accidentally leaked real data on Wuhan virus deaths

Tencent briefly lists 154,023 infections and 24,589 deaths from Wuhan coronavirus

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — As many experts question the veracity of China's statistics for the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, Tencent over the weekend seems to have inadvertently released what is potentially the actual number of infections and deaths, which were astronomically higher than official figures.

On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker", showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China as standing at 154,023, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.

The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

Moments later, Tencent updated the numbers to reflect the government's "official" numbers that day. Netizens noticed that Tencent has on at least three occasions posted extremely high numbers, only to quickly lower them to government-approved statistics.

1580900133-5e3a9f2567c51.jpg

Click on the link for the full article