Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I feel I am arguing too hard against a trade I'm not that bothered by. The lack of the 6th is a great point I had not considered.  But I have to add Tim Settle is not just a rotational backup. Before the last few drafts he would have been a starter here and one of our better DL.  

that's why I'm in favor of trading him.  He can be a 3-4 team's starting NT and Caleb Brantley and Ryan Bee and maybe another UDFA can fight it out for the fourth DT spot

1 minute ago, carex said:

that's why I'm in favor of trading him.  He can be a 3-4 team's starting NT and Caleb Brantley and Ryan Bee and maybe another UDFA can fight it out for the fourth DT spot

This i would like. But i wouldnt expect to get more than a 6th. He is more valuable to me as a rotational piece than a 6th round pick.

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Why should we care if the 5th rounder saves 6 million in salary if we aren't going to spend to the cap anyway? The only thing that cap saving means for us is that Daniel Snyder gets to keep an extra 6 million dollars. 

Or... its more cap space to roll over to next year.

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Why should we care if the 5th rounder saves 6 million in salary if we aren't going to spend to the cap anyway? The only thing that cap saving means for us is that Daniel Snyder gets to keep an extra 6 million dollars. 

Depends, tbh. I read that Allen has 2 more years of low salary beyond this one. If you can secure your starting and backup QB for the next 2-3 years at a combined $6-7m in salary (Roughly) that really makes you flexible in building your roster elsewhere.

For context, we paid Colt McCoy $4m last year. Once Alex Smith is off the books next off-season we will have a lot of cap flexibility. And yes, reading the tea-leaves, it looks like they are looking toward building culture and / through the draft / with what they have and setting up the cap to re-sign/extend/build the roster in 2021 and beyond. Which is frankly the smart thing to do ...

On the surface Kyle Allen is "meh" for a 5th. But considering you get 3 years at a projected salary of $650k - $900k - $1m for your backup is pretty significant.

Not to mention the obvious which is you get a guy in the offense who is familiar with the system and can help Dwayne learn the ropes in an off-season where they may get limited exposure to the coaches/practices.

I'm disappointed we gave up more than a 7th for Allen. Although he started out great, he quickly fizzled and by the end was absolutely horrible. His cap hit is minimal at a premium position, which is a plus, and he has a year of experience in the system. However, I see him as a very low end backup and at this point should really be more of a project 3rd stringer.

12 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

That's actually not how it works. There is a floor for cash every team has to spend, which we are spending, clearly.

Ron said before the combine they weren't going to spend and reach on FAs just because they could.  They took one big swing at Cooper, and he turned them down.  Otherwise, they've added pieces they know or they think fill short term holes as they draft and find other answers.

Bram brought something else up yesterday.  This could very well be the "Haskins Audition Year."  They're not going to put a lot of eggs in the basket this year, because if Haskins fails, they'll be re-booting with Ron's guy at QB next off-season.  So, they're just being very judicious in what they are doing.

I also would remind you, if the 'Skins get to 6-10 or 9-7, that's a 3 or 4 game improvement over last year.  Which is not trivial at all.  And is in the realm of possibilities.  

14 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Who was the D lineman you guys had last season that wreaked havoc on Our QB? He is a beast. I hope you keep him around.

That was Preston Smith. No, wait........

17 minutes ago, panahoo said:

This i would like. But i wouldnt expect to get more than a 6th. He is more valuable to me as a rotational piece than a 6th round pick.

Yeah I'm not trading a good, young, cheap, line player for a 6th. That's kinda nuts.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Bram brought something else up yesterday.  This could very well be the "Haskins Audition Year."  They're not going to put a lot of eggs in the basket this year, because if Haskins fails, they'll be re-booting with Ron's guy at QB next off-season.  So, they're just being very judicious in what they are doing.

This makes sense. And I think this supports a build-through-the-draft approach. While I would love to have more picks ... we have some legit young talent on this team. The glaring holes are at LT and CB currently. We know we aren't winning the Super Bowl this year. So let's put some talent around Haskins and let him flourish. If he succeeds/grows, then start committing more cap to bringing in talent next year and hope the WRs continue to develop.

Draft a TE in the 3rd and a WR in the 4th and 7th.

The only concern I have is on the OL, specifically at LT. But we can figure that one out.

he spoke plenty negatively about the team last year, that doesn't get erased cause a few months have passed.  Honestly, if I was the Skins I would announce that anyone hoping to get him for less next year if he sits out will not have that happen because we'll put the franchise tag on him

31 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The only concern I have is on the OL, specifically at LT. But we can figure that one out.

I think they eventually re-sign Penn, or go with Peters, or some proven vet once they figure out what's going on with Trent.  

If Trent can't find a deal, he might come back. 

I thought about distilling all of the pros and cons for the two trades into bullet points - to give me a bit more clarity.  Posters have made good points for both sides of the argument, IMO.  I don’t have the time/patience at the moment though.

I don’t “like” the value from either trade, but there’s so much nuance to each one (particularly trading for Allen) that I’m just going to move on.  

I will say though that I wish the Allen trade had come with a 7th round pick, and I wish they had pulled off a conditional pick for Dunbar.  Something like a 2020 5th or 6th and a conditional 5th-7th in 2021 depending on playing time or whatever.  

It is what it is though.  I’m going to be bummed when 5.2 rolls around and we aren’t picking, but I’m looking forward to seeing this all play out.  

37 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

I'm disappointed we gave up more than a 7th for Allen. Although he started out great, he quickly fizzled and by the end was absolutely horrible. His cap hit is minimal at a premium position, which is a plus, and he has a year of experience in the system. However, I see him as a very low end backup and at this point should really be more of a project 3rd stringer.

Pretty much this. He has starting experience in that he has actually started NFL games. But that shouldn't really be a good argument for why's he's good. Starting games in the NFL is often based on your circumstances. Allen only started games because Newton got hurt and Carolina had no one better. Jeff Driskel somehow started games last year despite being cut by the worst team in football (Bengals). The big problem is that Allen was not particularly good at starting. It seemed the league caught up to him real quick. In addition to the turnovers, he actually led the leagues in what Bill Barnwell causes the "megasack". Allen took a league-high 18 sacks of 10 yards or more. Between the huge sacks and turnovers, Allen was an absolute killer for offenses.

If you want to look for a silver lining, its the fact Allen is only one year removed from being a UDFA. So you really shouldn't expect anyone like that to be a good player at this point in their career. He was once a very highly recruited QB and had a weird collegiate experience. So maybe there's untapped potential there. But it's the same potential that left him undrafted in 2018 and free to any NFL team for majority of the 2018 season. So you should value that potential accordingly. 

12 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Mostly because noone will trade for Cam's contract

Yeah but he’s going to be a free agent now... so that changes a lot of dynamics. Again, don’t think he lands here but it’ll be interesting to see how this winds up

Archived