Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I hope future malcontents don't realize this.  They now have the key to getting their wish to leave this miserable franchise to go play for a contender.

I've made this point too.  The skins are not a desirable place to play right now.  We've told our players that you can whine your way out...

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I hope future malcontents don't realize this.  They now have the key to getting their wish to leave this miserable franchise to go play for a contender.

Maybe.  It also thought brings me back to L. Coles who wanted out at the time.  Gibbs would say he would trade anyone who wants out.  And he did.  I agree there is also a downside to that approach.

2 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

And value is situational.  QD wasn't in high demand right now, so to trade him now was dumb.  Just because they got a 5th today doesn't mean that they couldn't have gotten more in the future.

And to pretend that paid value is "accurate" is silly.  

It also doesn’t mean the team would get a 4th or better at any other time. It’s like the cost of anything else. It’s worth what the market pays. Keim said other teams were offering a 6th or a 7th.

An oft-injured player who ran his mouth publicly, backtracked weakly and just wouldn’t shut-up who is in the last year of a deal and is a UFA next year. His market value isn’t exactly off-the-charts, even getting 4 picks on a lousy D.

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

A team has to want them first. What contending team is showing interest in TW?

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

This

the difference is Dunbar is much younger, still under contract for a year and wasn’t looking to become the highest paid corner in the game.

Same reason why Trent is gonna go for less than we want - greedy unrealistic demands narrows down suitors.

23 hours ago, oraphus said:

Dunbar is not worth a 2nd.. thats ridiculous. Not only can he not stay healthy... but he wants a new contract as part of the trade and there were plenty of good corners that got cut and could have been had without losing any pics. Skins will be lucky to get a 4th for him

Boom.. hate to be right, but it happens too often :)

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

AKA, they panicked with Dunbar, caved in to his behavior, and sold low on him.  They're weak in the locker room and good organizations usually don't panic trade their best players for bottom dollar when they become difficult, essentially giving the guy everything he wants.  Not when they've got the guy under contract for a pittance.

The second tweet by Keim feels off.  The situation with Dunbar wasn't different form the one with Trent.  Dunny was under contract too and he could have walked for a future comp pick next offseason same as Trent.  In the meantime, he would have had to play and play well to get what he wanted.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/trent-williams-still-an-option-for-the-browns-odell-beckham-not-on-the-block-anthony-harris-not-in-the-cards-more.html

1. Redskins left tackle Trent Williams is still a possibility for the Browns

The Browns explored trading for Williams after the Redskins gave him permission to seek a deal two weeks ago. He is still a possibility if the Redskins lower their asking price and/or if Williams is willing to accept less in an extension. If the Browns surrender a higher pick, they’d likely want a longer-term deal, which would effectively take them out of the strong left tackle market in the draft.

There are other things to consider with Williams, including the fact that he’ll be 32 on July 19. But his former Redskins offensive line coach Bill Callahan is now with the Browns in that capacity, and thinks highly of Williams.

A seven-time Pro Bowler, Williams would give the Browns a player the caliber of Joe Thomas, and Baker Mayfield’s blind side would be set for years to come. Williams is currently under contract for $10.85 million in 2020 and $12.5 million in 2021, and his market value, according to spotrac.com, is three years, $45.77 million, or about $15.25 million a year.

I’m also told that the cancerous growth removed from his head is not a concern.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is gonna get uglier before it gets better.

We can’t lose sight of the fact that we are now and have been for many years a largely selfish, me first collection of egos with talent.— BUT THAT AIN’T A TEAM.

Rivera has come here to do something even the great JG 2.0 couldn’t do— turn this ****ing mess around and make it into a team.

That ain't an easy process and we’re going to see a lot of things that, to us, will seem to make no sense at all. It’s not going to be nice to watch.

Rivera is essentially making sausage from road kill.

And sausage making ain't pretty under the best of circumstances but sometimes if you trim the fat off, carefully discard the rotten pieces, grind it up, add in the right amount of spices, herbs, a wee bit of grizzle for that slightly tough texture then mix it all together and let it slow smoke with some hickory, mesquite and cherry wood you end up with something where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

And that’s when you got something.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

AKA, they panicked with Dunbar, caved in to his behavior, and sold low on him.  They're weak in the locker room and good organizations usually don't panic trade their best players for bottom dollar when they become difficult, essentially giving the guy everything he wants.  Not when they've got the guy under contract for a pittance.

The second tweet by Keim feels off.  The situation with Dunbar wasn't different form the one with Trent.  Dunny was under contract too and he could have walked for a future comp pick next offseason same as Trent.  In the meantime, he would have had to play and play well to get what he wanted.

Dunbar was undrafted. What kind of comp pick does that give? One of the “best players” on a 3-13 team is like the stink on the log of crap that all but touches it. 

Dunbar’s situation really is different than Trent. Trent priced himself out and no one is buying is “woe is me” act anymore. Dunbar opened his mouth and people said “Who the **** are you again?”

Keim said no one offered better than a 6th or 7th for Dunbar. He’s like the sophomore in college coming back to see high school football games who thinks he’s cool and struts, but really just looks like a dick.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I do believe that a 5th was their best offer.  I think the problem with Dunbar was he was supposedly asking for the moon in an extension.  But I agree Plan B would be to simply keep him.  I'd actually live with the Dunbar deal a bit easier if ironically the Allen deal didn't go down almost at the same time -- because it showcased value that IMO wasn't apples to apples for a 5th round pick. 

The wild thing if memory serves Dan in his whole tenure has never acquired a 3rd rounder or higher for any player.  Whereas we've given up 3rd rounders and up like candy.  And just about every deal where we've given up draft picks we've lost the trade in the end albeit some of us (even me on occasion) felt like winners in the moment.   

It surprises me that some sell the value of picks for veterans in theory.  If there is a team that is a test case for how bad that practice is -- its this team.  It's wild the number of trades we've been burned on.   Heck I'd take my chances with holding on to a draft pick versus trading away a pick for a veteran based on the track record of this team alone over a 20 year sample.  Heck even one of our rare successful draft pick trades -- James Thrash for a 5th, yielded the Eagles Trent Cole. 

Maybe Kyle Allen proves to be an exception.   I know very little about him except for him not being a touted college QB before the draft and having poor stats last year albeit having a hot start.  I'll get to watching him.  It does make sense what Bucky Brooks said that people in that building believe in him (I presume its Scott, Rivera) I'd presume they'd have to be big fans to forgo a pretty deep FA QB crop and instead give up a pick for him.   

33 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

And this is why in general, I'm not cool with this "coach centric" approach.

Especially for a coach who (imo) doesn't deserve this kind of power..... 

Agreed.  Coaches are usually pretty bad at valuing players and assets in the context of the team-building market.  It's a different area of expertise from their day job.

I was really hoping we would buck the trend with this new FO structure, and I'm going to wait and see how the rest of the offseason plays out before I'm in or out on the Rivera-led FO.  But I have an increasingly bad feeling about this offseason.  It reminds me of how I felt about that first Shanahan offseason.

If this FO doesn't work out, then I'll be convinced that there is just zero chance of the Redskins doing anything without an authentically strong team president/GM.  Maybe I should already be there, but I am fundamentally an optimist and I'm somehow still hopeful.

17 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

the difference is Dunbar is much younger, still under contract for a year and wasn’t looking to become the highest paid corner in the game.

QD is 27 and Slay is 29 and QD started 25 games in 5 years and wanted more money too.  Just saying QD would have been serviceable for another year but he was no prize.

We all wanted a new GM, a new coaching staff, a new culture, new leadership and new direction...

WE NOW HAVE IT and fans are still complaining that we aren't overpaying for just above average free agents. That we only got a 5th rounder instead of a 4th for a oft-injured DB who didnt want to be here and has made it known publicly... Smdh... C'mon guys. Can we have a little perspective and patience?

3 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

We all wanted a new GM, a new coaching staff, a new culture, new leadership and new direction...

WE NOW HAVE IT and fans are still complaining that we aren't overpaying for just above average free agents. That we only got a 5th rounder for a oft-injured DB who didnt want to be here and has made it known publicly... Smdh... C'mon guys. Can we have a little perspective and patience?

Agree. Though I think Carolina fleeced is. We got the return we should have expected for Dunbar. Or close to it.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/trent-williams-still-an-option-for-the-browns-odell-beckham-not-on-the-block-anthony-harris-not-in-the-cards-more.html

1. Redskins left tackle Trent Williams is still a possibility for the Browns

The Browns explored trading for Williams after the Redskins gave him permission to seek a deal two weeks ago. He is still a possibility if the Redskins lower their asking price and/or if Williams is willing to accept less in an extension. If the Browns surrender a higher pick, they’d likely want a longer-term deal, which would effectively take them out of the strong left tackle market in the draft.

There are other things to consider with Williams, including the fact that he’ll be 32 on July 19. But his former Redskins offensive line coach Bill Callahan is now with the Browns in that capacity, and thinks highly of Williams.

A seven-time Pro Bowler, Williams would give the Browns a player the caliber of Joe Thomas, and Baker Mayfield’s blind side would be set for years to come. Williams is currently under contract for $10.85 million in 2020 and $12.5 million in 2021, and his market value, according to spotrac.com, is three years, $45.77 million, or about $15.25 million a year.  I’m also told that the cancerous growth removed from his head is not a concern.

I don't think this is correct as far as TW's contract is concerned.  I don't think he is signed through 2021, is he?  If he is, we need to be asking for a 1st, not a 2nd.

Archived