Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We just got had.  We bought high on Allen and sold low on Dunbar.  It's just bad management, there is not really a mystery to it.  We've been losing trades like this for years.

We got Troy Apke and Tim Settle for S'ua Cravens. That's sort of a win, no?

So is our front office still wack or was Dunbar overrated......or is the truth somewhere in between?  I wasn't as high on Dunbar as some folks, but would have been fine with him as a starting a corner on this roster for a reasonable salary.  However him being traded doesn't have the sting that seeing Fuller go had.  

He must not be that high thought of by other teams if the best they could get was a 5th rounder, assuming Seattle views him as a possible starter as well?

Just now, skins2victory said:

If the Browns are still interested in Trent as being reported, but won't meet the 2nd for him as we are asking, there are things we could do to help sweeten the pot. The Browns 2nd is pick #41 overall.

We could still ask for the 2nd, but swap our 3rd for their second 3rd rounder, pick #97.  This Moves them up 31 spots in the 3rd. To do this I would also want their 6/ #188. We net a 2nd and a 6th. They move way up in the 3rd. Seems fair to me.

So it would look like this....

Trent, 3/66

for

2/41, 3/97, 6/188

Just wait a bit... we aren't going to be good this year... pressure will mount as camps are closer to opening...

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

He must not be that high thought of by other teams if the best they could get was a 5th rounder, assuming Seattle views him as a possible starter as well?

What players are traded for aren't necessarily their worth. 

Slay only went for a 3rd and a 5th.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So is our front office still wack or was Dunbar overrated......or is the truth somewhere in between?  I wasn't as high on Dunbar as some folks, but would have been fine with him as a starting a corner on this roster for a reasonable salary.  However him being traded doesn't have the sting that seeing Fuller go had.  

There is a general tendency to overrate the value of future draft picks . This bias becomes even more pronounced as the draft approaches. Nonetheless, historical facts are indeed facts not opinion and the fact is that late round draft picks are more likely to be failures than successes even for the best run front office.

Historically, a 5th round pick has a 0% probability of becoming a starting caliber qb. Here are the historical 5th round draft pick success rates for each position from a Feb. 20th 2015 study at arrowheadpride.com:

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

Kyle Allen has done something that no potential draft pick has or could have done— he has proven that he can start and be competitive.

He is certainly not at this point a long term answer but he is an excellent reserve with starting qb experience capable of playing well enough to win for a short period of time.  A young experienced  backup with upside is a very valuable commodity in a qb driven league.

Kyle Allen was more valuable to the Redskins than he would be to any other team, including the Panthers. He’s proven, he knows the system, he knows the offensive coordinator and most of all— Rivera trusts him.  He played with exceptional poise and leadership under great duress when called upon. 

Given our need and lack of viable alternatives he’s well worth the admittedly steep price we paid to get him.

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We traded for a QB that we really wanted 

We traded away a CB that we really wanted out of the door

We didn’t get had. We moved forward.

Thats a significant use of the word we right there. 

We lost value and got worse.  We made two bad trades in short succession where the other team won big both times.

And saying we got a QB that we wanted doesn't reassure me of the value of trading for him.  It just calls into question the judgement of the people who over-valued him.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We lost value and got worse.  We made two bad trades in short succession where the other team won big both times.

And saying we got a QB that we wanted doesn't reassure me of the value of trading for him.  It just calls into question the judgement of the people who over-valued him.

👊

13 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

I don't get this logic? There are many players who would rather play for different teams... it's the byproduct of the way the league is run. 

It's just piss poor management to give away players for less than they are worth, while signalling to the team that they can jump ship too.  Washington is not a desirable team right now - the team can't tell their players that they can whine their way off the team.

Players are ultimately worth what you get for them; not what fans on a message board over-value them to be.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

I honestly don't think teams give a **** about PFF.

Agreed, they use their own analytics, and we all know pff has to be taken with a grain of salt.  But look at the other CBs in the top 5 of that list.  Studs.  So it has to reflect some positive impact.  

I am not with the majority on this thread that they killed it or did well on the Kyle Allen trade.  But the more I think about it and factor that Rivera is no dummy -- I'd gather Scott Turner convinced Rivera that Allen is more than just a clipboard holder and tutor for Haskins.  For that type of price, I gather they think he's starter material.  Will see.  I'll try to watch some Kyle Allen games this week and get a feel for him.

Bucky Brooks, who worships Haskins and was one of the earlier people to tip off their interest in Haskins -- now saying that Haskins is going to have to play well to keep his job and people in the building see Allen as starter material -- I'd gather he's on the money as to their thinking.

Because yeah if its just me buying that an early 5th round pick is a good price for a backup Qb who knows a system -- to each their own but to me I don't even agree a little.  Ditto the veteran beats draft pick argument.   But if they see the dude as the Kirk Cousins to the RG3 thing so to speak -- that logic I could buy as a sell if its actually true. 

Keim was ironically saying recently that he doesn't think they can get a 3rd or 4th for Dunbar anymore.  He was right.   Basically the day was trading Dunbar, their best corner, for Kyle Allen, a backup QB.  I am mixed about this one.  Do I think they got ripped off?  Yes.  But I also don't believe they could have gotten more in part because of Dunbar's money demands.

The only thing I dont like about the Allen trade is it pretty much ruins any chances the skins have in squeezing an extra pick or two out of a tua smokescreen.

This was a long shot to begin with but it was a hope we could cling too. 

There is no way they would draft Tua now, and have 3 rookie qb's competing. 

Or is there?  Tuaaaaaa

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I think everyone who wanted more moves from this front office has changed their tune, and now probably prefers not making any more moves.

People should have specified that they wanted more moves that would make the team better.

Soooo guy is injured, complains about not making enough even though he's on contract and gets rewarded by being traded to a legit contender while we're compensated with a low round pick.

I hope Ron knows what he's doing because right now he's letting the inmates run the asylum.

6 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Players are ultimately worth what you get for them; not what fans on a message board over-value them to be.

And value is situational.  QD wasn't in high demand right now, so to trade him now was dumb.  Just because they got a 5th today doesn't mean that they couldn't have gotten more in the future.

And to pretend that paid value is "accurate" is silly.  

Archived