Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Oh for sure. McVay hiring KOC makes a ton of sense.  They worked together and had success together. 

Though didn't McVay promote Barry to DC? That’s surprising.

No, that was a rumor but he brought in someone else. 

Boy Wonder and O'Connell never worked together on a staff. The new DC is Brandon Staley; it's an interesting hire. Was he Moreland's DB coach at JMU? Eager to see how that D performs.

This whole Joe Brady thing is exactly what I was hoping would be an approach taken by O'Connell. He could have gone to the college ranks, ran a high-powered (or highly effective) offense, become a genuinely coveted NFL OC or HC prospect, and had his pick. Instead, he's now an administrative OC for the Rams. But then again, association with Boy Wonder was the ticket to HC opportunity. Still can't wrap my head around Zac Taylor's hire.

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Oh for sure. McVay hiring KOC makes a ton of sense.  They worked together and had success together. 

McVay and KOC never worked together in Ashburn.

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Brandon Staley is the new DC for the RAms.

51 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No, that was a rumor but he brought in someone else. 

Ah, I guessed I heard the rumor but not the final.

43 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

McVay and KOC never worked together in Ashburn.

You're right.  Interesting.  I thought he was here McVay's last year.  But Cavanaugh was the QB coach then, I think.  

38 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Brandon Staley is the new DC for the RAms.

Right, missed that. 

You know, he said a lot in that quote...

”I was a big fan of his coming out”

Translation: I liked him in college. Did a lot of good things in that offense. 

“he got better as the year went on”

Translation: I am not going to acknowledge the franchise selecting him to a lame duck head coach, how raw he was, how bad he played... because it makes no sense for me to talk about that because that just causes a media feeding frenzy. So instead I’ll say he improved, because he absolutely did. And this quote allows us to find a new QB and not be questioned or it lets us roll with Dwayne and not be questioned.

Scott Turner is good at this media thing.

• Like 1

I believe everyone is reading too much into all the coaches comments on DH, As justifiable as it may be. If they didn’t see him as part of the solution moving forward, I think the hiring process wouldn’t have gone so smoothly.  I think they definitely want to send him a message to get ready to prove it and work. But overall they are excited about what he brings to the table, just my opinion..

Really liked hearing from Scott about catering the offense to DH’s strengths.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Translation: I am not going to acknowledge the franchise selecting him to a lame duck head coach, how raw he was, how bad he played... because it makes no sense for me to talk about that because that just causes a media feeding frenzy. So instead I’ll say he improved, because he absolutely did. And this quote allows us to find a new QB and not be questioned or it lets us roll with Dwayne and not be questioned.

He also said (or was quoted as saying) that he had

"presented Ron Rivera with his plan for the offense and for developing Dwayne Haskins"

Now I would agree that is not a set in stone cast iron statement that Haskins is inked in as the starter for 2020. They will need to bring in a vet at the very least as a backup (assuming Smith will not be able to pass a physical). And its possible Haskins plays himself out of a starting spot through not picking up the system, attitude or just not progressing to the level they feel comfortable playing him. 

But it seems clear that the plan is to build around and develop Haskins and it will be a surprise if he is not opening day starter next year. His play at the end of 2019 earns him that opportunity unless he plays himself out of it IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

He also said (or was quoted as saying) that he had

"presented Ron Rivera with his plan for the offense and for developing Dwayne Haskins"

Now I would agree that is not a set in stone cast iron statement that Haskins is inked in as the starter for 2020. They will need to bring in a vet at the very least as a backup (assuming Smith will not be able to pass a physical). And its possible Haskins plays himself out of a starting spot through not picking up the system, attitude or just not progressing to the level they feel comfortable playing him. 

But it seems clear that the plan is to build around and develop Haskins and it will be a surprise if he is not opening day starter next year. His play at the end of 2019 earns him that opportunity unless he plays himself out of it IMO.

This is kind of my point with the post.

He didn't say anything. Either way. Other than he has a plan for developing Haskins.

Which, still, doesn't say anything.

It's smart media savvy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Maybe... but let me give you an alternative take:

The Redskins screwed my dad 20 years ago and I'm working my way into the organization to take them down from the inside, MWHAAHAA

You thought the swinging gate was bad? Please child... wait to see what I've got cooking

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DiscoBob said:

Maybe... but let me give you an alternative take:

The Redskins screwed my dad 20 years ago and I'm working my way into the organization to take them down from the inside, MWHAAHAA

You thought the swinging gate was bad? Please child... wait to see what I've got cooking

I want to be mad at this but I can’t. 😄

So we’ll see if this is like starting over again for Dwayne.  What can I say.....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

This is kind of my point with the post.

He didn't say anything. Either way. Other than he has a plan for developing Haskins.

Which, still, doesn't say anything.

It's smart media savvy.

I slifhtly disagree (I think).  Agree about it being media savvy and not necessarily a commitment to Haskins.

The idea though that he presented a plan to develop Haskins tells me that Rivera was interested in hearing a plan.  It tells me that Turner felt that presenting a plan for Haskins was important.  Which tells me that both guys are planning for Haskins to be the guy.  

Now obviously that could change depending on how the draft shakes out, or if a vet earns the starting role (though I think in this case, it’s just pushing the plan out a bit).  
Same caveat as @MartinC though - if Dwayne isn’t buying in, doing things the right way, etc... the plan could be scrapped in a hurry.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Indeed... assuming you have a qb you believe is worth developing.  

They’re all worth developing until they’re not. So Haskins will, deservedly so, get his chance. We’ll see if he actually gets developed or not moving forward.

I don’t know where to put this, so this is as good a spot as any: 

Does anybody know the rules on when and how much players can work with coaches on classroom stuff on the off season?  

There are very strict rules as party of the CBA which outline when coaches can do what, but a lot of it is on the field stuff.  I haven’t been able to find (or really spent the time) to research how it applies to off-field work.

Could Dwayne show up at 9am every day and spend 5 hours with Turner and/or Zampese now? Or would that be against the rules? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

They’re all worth developing until they’re not.

I guess... I mean, I don’t imagine an OC coming up with a plan for a 2nd year, 7th round qb that happens to be on a roster, but sure... it’s worth it to see if you can develop them.  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

So Haskins will, deservedly so, get his chance. We’ll see if he actually gets developed or not moving forward.

Absolutely.  While I don’t have much feeling for Turner, I do get the feeling that the development will be all on Haskins.  

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t know where to put this, so this is as good a spot as any: 

Does anybody know the rules on when and how much players can work with coaches on classroom stuff on the off season?  

There are very strict rules as party of the CBA which outline when coaches can do what, but a lot of it is on the field stuff.  I haven’t been able to find (or really spent the time) to research how it applies to off-field work.

Could Dwayne show up at 9am every day and spend 5 hours with Turner and/or Zampese now? Or would that be against the rules? 

@SoCalSkins smartly pointed out that regardless of the CBA restrictions, Dwayne can spend aaaaas much time as he likes with Norv Turner this offseason. Wouldn't that be interesting? 😀

• Like 2

I know that if I was a 22-23 year old football player with the possibility of either making 30+ Million a year in the near future, or boxing pizzas, I'd tell the NFLPA to eat a dick and then commence with learning what I need to learn however I need to learn it so I can get my paycheck.

• Like 2

That TE quote just made me super happy. I hope we completely revamp the TEs. I'm not even married to Sprinkle as TE3. It's a new staff and new coaches. He's a terrible blocker and barely a receiver, so let the three of them go. Hentges is a solid #2, sign Hunter to be TE1. Heck, Grab Ebron as well and have that be your 3 TEs. Our passing game, running game, blocking, depth, everything on offense improves.

• Like 1