Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

23 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

KOC called what 5 games? Giving him control to run the whole offense with a defensive minded head coach is a huge job. I would much rather have the dude who worked with Peyton Manning and improved QB play wherever he’s been and is a proven coach. 

I agree it's a gamble and you very well may be right, but there's a part of me that wants some young bright potential vs all well established veterans. 

Bringing in Caldwell looks brilliant on the surface but it reminds me of our dream staff days of gibbs, Saunders and Williams when we thought we'd steamroll people on pure coaching skill but for the most part what we got was a staff that mostly looked like the game had passed them by.

I don't know what the best route is but it seems like the league is moving towards innovation and it'd be nice to have some fresh minds and voices in the room.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I hope he stays, but I do worry that he’ll have a hard time finding assistant coaches willing to take orders from a 34-year old kid with an extremely limited track record. And if he does find guys willing to fall in line, will they be as qualified as they should be?  Not sure.  

Getting way ahead of ourselves with this, but I hope he hires an assistant coach that has the ability to take over as OC if KOC has success and gets poached to be HC for another team.  We need to ensure Haskins has continuity with the system in his early years.

20 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

KOC called what 5 games? Giving him control to run the whole offense with a defensive minded head coach is a huge job. I would much rather have the dude who worked with Peyton Manning and improved QB play wherever he’s been and is a proven coach. 

One of my secret (well, now it won't be) hopes is that The Commandant is willing to take an assistant role where he is a prime player in the gameplanning/working with Haskins under a more experienced OC. 

This way you get the benefit of his work with Haskins paying off along with someone who has run successful offenses. That is the best case scenario. But it largely depends on Rivera's views and KOC's desires.

I know McVay did it. But I don't think he should rush to run a full unit. Get more experience, get a good payday and get better. It will help him in the long run.

• Like 1

Ron will know best but I think OC for a defensive coach is to big for him right now.

Think how far this coaching is going to be from what they were...Rob Ryan...lol..

Just loving it that I have a coach who I can root for, who has respect, and isnt a joke.

Edited by Gibbs828791

I have to be honest, I get the feeling some (not all) people only want to keep KOC because of the Sean McVay leaving affect. 

Honestly Sean has cooled off a bit rather quickly as defenses got a chance to really study him. That Rams team is loaded and has no real excuse for the drop off (missing the playoffs). 

Back to KOC. Yes he and Haskins showed some signs late in the year and I’m grateful of that. But if there’s a offensive guy out that that RR feels can do even more to enhance “the entire offense, not just Haskins” then I’m all for it. 

Hail

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If KOC stays it will be viewed as Snyder meddling. This is how it’s starts. Rivera should hit the complete reset and eliminate that perception...

Why though? It was reported that he had/has to Interview for the job. Also everything indicates that they are serious about cleaning house.

Ans I don't think that Rivera would have accepted the job with the premise of keeping KOC.

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If KOC stays it will be viewed as Snyder meddling. This is how it’s starts. Rivera should hit the complete reset and eliminate that perception...

Only if you choose to look at it that way. From what we've read he's well regarded around the league and the QB stumped for him a bit. I don't mind if Rivera keeps him or looks elsewhere, but that decision won't make look at Rivera or Snyder with any cynicism.

• Like 1

Just now, Panninho said:

Why though? It was reported that he had/has to Interview for the job. Also everything indicates that they are serious about cleaning house.

Ans I don't think that Rivera would have accepted the job with the premise of keeping KOC.

Haskins has lobbied for him openly. This will look like Snyder forcing Rivera to placate his buddy QB. Rivera eliminates that by not retaining KOC. In fact, Haskins trying to dictate who the coaching staff is should disqualify his recommendation.

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Honestly, I think O'Connell will stick around...and then be fired at the end of next season.

Agreed. 

I keep hearing about how he's supposed to possibly be the next McVay.  What I constantly saw was a reason to say someone was overriding his authority based on their own offensive philosphy to make excuses for him.  If Haskins wants him back and been getting better every week, that's good.  I did feel Haskins last couple games that Callahan was giving KOC more pull to do what he wanted to do.  If Rivera truly unleashes KOC, which he should being a defensive coach, we'll see what we really have.  Then we should make the call on if this is the best guy for developing Haskins and running the offense. 

I'm not sold he is because of how many excuses we've had to make for him since he got the job.  It's only when you watch other dominant offenses that you realize how far we have to go in terms of offensive play calling, better then what we had doesn't match what's out there.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Haskins has lobbied for him openly. This will look like Snyder forcing Rivera to placate his buddy QB. Rivera eliminates that by not retaining KOC. In fact, Haskins trying to dictate who the coaching staff is should disqualify his recommendation.

So what? Ist he supposed to say he hopes KOC gets canned when asked?

So Rivera should fire a (promising) coach just to eliminate a hypothetical media scenario that I haven't read anywhere so far? I think Rivera had enough leverage to demand his own terms.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I hope he keeps the job.  He is a bright and talented young coach who is going to be successful somewhere in the NFL.  I prefer it to be here.

Dude is going to have a lot of pressure on him, have to wonder if he's going to get the same type of patience Haskins will in the focus on rebuilding versus demanding he be ready to run a playoff caliber offense if given the right pieces.  He won't have the right pieces yet, I'm not sue hes ready yet.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Panninho said:

So what? Ist he supposed to say he hopes KOC gets canned when asked?

So Rivera should fire a (promising) coach just to eliminate a hypothetical media scenario that I haven't read anywhere so far? I think Rivera had enough leverage to demand his own terms.

He’s supposed to say I’m the rookie QB working to improve. I have learned under KOC and I hope I continue to have a chance to develop under him but it’s not my decision. 

The way he has gone about is you better keep KOC or I will be pissed meaning I will go complain to my buddy Dan and make sure he is my OC. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

The way he has gone about is is you better KOC or I will be pissed meaning I will go complain to my buddy Dan and make sure he is my OC. 

Yeah I didn't get that impression at all. And as I said, I dont think Rivera would have just accepted it that way.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

I have to be honest, I get the feeling some (not all) people only want to keep KOC because of the Sean McVay leaving affect. 

Honestly Sean has cooled off a bit rather quickly as defenses got a chance to really study him. That Rams team is loaded and has no real excuse for the drop off (missing the playoffs). 

Back to KOC. Yes he and Haskins showed some signs late in the year and I’m grateful of that. But if there’s a offensive guy out that that RR feels can do even more to enhance “the entire offense, not just Haskins” then I’m all for it. 

Hail

KOC really helped Haskins grow when he took over play calling duties the last few games.   I think continuity is important for young QB's.  And Haskins seems to work well with him.  And all of us saw improvement with Haskins and something to build on.

Has Sean really cooled off or is it more about the D not being very productive this year and some problems on offense? Lots of points given up.  And on the offensive side Gurley has simply not been that good this year and they are paying him a lot of money.  They were 26th in the league in the run game.  You have to be able to establish the run and I did not see much of that from the Ram's this year.    And maybe because of that and the lack of rhythm i did not see it as a great year for Goff either.   Some are saying the O line play was not good. I don't know but I suspect McVay will fix it.  

17 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Could not disagree more - but we come from different places on Haskins.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

If Caldwell is not obligated to the Dolphins he’s the much better hire. KOC will be snatched up the first time we have success. That’s the price you pay in having a defensive HC. Caldwell is more qualified and much less of a flight risk if things go well.

I completely see where you're going, but I wouldn't want to stunt the growth of Haskins in his second year.  There should be a huge transition from 1st to 2nd year for a QB and I worry about having another Jason Campbell - guy with a ton of arm talent, but then having to learn a new offense almost immediately after the first year.  

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Could not disagree more - but we come from different places on Haskins.

The days of coddling players needs to end with Rivera. It starts with not coddling the QB who has a friendly personal relationship with the owner. This is how Shanahan was undermined. KOC is not worth the drama retaining him brings.