Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

O'Connell has potential, but perhaps there's a reason his name wasn't on any of the "potential staff" lists of any of the HC candidates who made the rounds last year, and isn't on anyone's proposed staff among candidates on the market this year. I agree with Keim that more time is needed to assess what O'Connell really brings to the table. I'll trust whatever decisions Rivera makes on his staff, including a decision to retain O'Connell, But I would love to see Ken Zampese as the QB Coach; he is a real wizard at QB development and rarely gets the credit he deserves. He's the one whose tutelage led to such an upward trajectory for Mayfield in Cleveland before Dorsey botched it all and turned the keys over to Kitchens. He, not Gruden, also was most responsible for the development of Dalton in Cincy in those early years. Zampese is in demand and will have options. Having his name on your potential staff list is a good sign for HC candidates.

• Like 1

You Should take the opinions of other professionals seriously. KO has been talked about in a positive light, and has a very good rapport with Haskins, and the young teammates. Veterans stood up for him in light of a bad season. I really think he’s the man for the job. Pairing Haskins with Jim Caldwell would be counter productive. The more coordinators you give to a young qb, the worse he gets. I think you gotta stuck with it. 

If we make the right moves this offseason we could see an offense of McLaurin, AJ Green, Sims, Harmon, Henry, Guice, Haskins. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s what Haskins wanted and Dan made sure it happened... 😂

😂 If that is the case then good. It makes an easier transition for the offense. Paloffs on the horizon 12-4 next year you heard it here 1st. 😂😭  

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

You Should take the opinions of other professionals seriously. KO has been talked about in a positive light, and has a very good rapport with Haskins, and the young teammates. Veterans stood up for him in light of a bad season. I really think he’s the man for the job. Pairing Haskins with Jim Caldwell would be counter productive. The more coordinators you give to a young qb, the worse he gets. I think you gotta stuck with it. 

If we make the right moves this offseason we could see an offense of McLaurin, AJ Green, Sims, Harmon, Henry, Guice, Haskins. 

AJ Green? Why him? Dont forget we get to see what Bryce Love can do next year.  

Just now, SkinsManNJ said:

😂 If that is the case then good. It makes an easier transition for the offense. Paloffs on the horizon 12-4 next year you heard it here 1st. 😂😭  

I already called us division champs. I fully expect Ron to be coach of the year. The NFC East sucks and the rest of our schedule is not bad.  The only thing concerning about  this reset is keeping KOC. Just doesn’t fit in my opinion but hopefully he ends up being able to pull it off.

12 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

O'Connell has potential, but perhaps there's a reason his name wasn't on any of the "potential staff" lists of any of the HC candidates who made the rounds last year, and isn't on anyone's proposed staff among candidates on the market this year.

KOC is on McDaniels list if he gets a HC job and apparently the list in New England to replace McDaniel if he leaves.

• Like 1

A high-level OC can see what was done right with the 2019 offense and with Haskins, and will be able to build on it. O'Connell isn't the only man on planet Earth capable of doing that. And a rookie QB doesn't get to dictate a coaching staff. No, I'm not saying Haskins has that power or is trying to wield it........just saying that under a coach like Rivera, the expressed preferences of a rookie won't outweigh the HC's own thinking/evaluation of the team situation. Rivera has obviously done deep homework on the existing staff; he's had a head start on other potential HCs (besides McCarthy).

As long as there's a strong, experienced, bona fide QB Coach to pair with the OC, I'm good. Like I said before, I'd love to see Zampese in the former role. 

• Like 1

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

I already called us division champs. I fully expect Ron to be coach of the year. The NFC East sucks and the rest of our schedule is not bad.  The only thing concerning about  this reset is keeping KOC. Just doesn’t fit in my opinion but hopefully he ends up being able to pull it off.

I have mixed thoughts on him. Seems fans want him to stay because of what was allowed to leave and dont want it to happen again. But then couple that with its Snyder run Redskins so he actually is the one who should be let go. 😂 

Im hoping he does work out though.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

KOC is on McDaniels list if he gets a HC job and apparently the list in New England to replace McDaniel if he leaves.

Friends helping friends perhaps, but this isn't the scuttlebutt among some of the coaches in the post-Black Monday waiting room. It wouldn't be bad for him to be able to return to where he played as a backup, but his services just aren't as in demand as many on this board may want to believe. The Patriots weren't in play as a destination when he actively lobbied for a 'special projects' job on Chip's staff in SF. And he would've been completely out of football had Morocco Brown not phoned Snyder to recommend him for the offensive staff, which then led to him later replacing Cavanaugh as OC (neither of which Gruden wanted). Not defending Gruden here; he clearly never knew how to put together a staff anyway.

I do like O'Connell, and I hope he continues to develop as an OC.

9 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Green is a FA and would pair nicely with McC and Haskins.

A WR on the wrong side of 30 who did not play a single snap in 2019, perfect complement to the OC who has called his own game plan 3 times in his life. What could go wrong?

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SkinsManNJ said:

AJ Green? Why him? Dont forget we get to see what Bryce Love can do next year.  

We still need another wr. Harmon is a 4th wr, not a starting #2. AJ Green is still a number 1 wr in this league. He wanted a long term contract, and Cincinnati didn’t give it to him, so he shut it down. I’d give him another 2-3 years of elite ability. 

It would allow us to use our draft capital to fill in other holes. 

A WR on the wrong side of 30 who did not play a single snap in 2019, perfect complement to the OC Ho has called his own game plan 3 times in his life. What could go wrong?

He shut it down because he didn’t want to risk anything on the worst team in the league with no long term contract. 

20 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

What's more is, crazy as it may sound, in terms of design this is an excellent offensive system that is hard to contend with when executed properly. If the players are buying in keep it in place. The only thing I'd insist on if I was RR is a run first offense. 

7 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

We still need another wr. Harmon is a 4th wr, not a starting #2. AJ Green is still a number 1 wr in this league. He wanted a long term contract, and Cincinnati didn’t give it to him, so he shut it down. I’d give him another 2-3 years of elite ability. 

It would allow us to use our draft capital to fill in other holes. 

He shut it down because he didn’t want to risk anything on the worst team in the league with no long term contract. 

The type of selflessness Rivera appreciates! Are you reading what you are typing and still advocating paying him? He gave zero effort in a contract year and shut it down. What’s he going to do when he gets paid?

• Like 2

This isn’t about proof. In fact you are creating misdirection where there is none. It’s called conflation. Your supposition that Rivera made some sort of immediate concession to Snyder is ludicrous. He neither needed or necessarily wanted this job. I really could care less, but you sound silly given the current circumstances and should stop embarrassing yourself.  It’s simply annoying and misguided. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

What's more is, crazy as it may sound, in terms of design this is an excellent offensive system that is hard to contend with when executed properly. If the players are buying in keep it in place. The only thing I'd insist on if I was RR is a run first offense. 

With a young QB a balanced offense is important - but that’s not the same as run first. The easiest reads and throws for a young QB are in first down. 

Get into 2nd and medium/short and then hand it off.

21 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The type of selflessness Rivera appreciates! Are you reading what you are typing and still advocating paying him? He gave zero effort in a contract year and shut it down. What’s he going to do when he gets paid?

He was very upfront with it: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/aj-green-bengals-contract

They chose not to talk and or trade him, which was dumb. I’m sure New England would kill to have him right now. 

1 minute ago, posse87 said:

This isn’t about proof. In fact you are creating misdirection where there is none. It’s called conflation. Your supposition that Rivera made some sort of immediate concession to Snyder is ludicrous. He neither needed or necessarily wanted this job. I really could care less, but you sound silly given the current circumstances and should stop embarrassing yourself.  It’s simply annoying and misguided. 

The same was said about Mike Shanahan...

If Ron doesn’t retain KOC you know he has full control. If he retains him, there are valid doubts. 

• Like 1

The same was said about Mike Shanahan...

If Ron doesn’t retain KOC you know he has full control. If he retains him, there are valid doubts. 

Nope, believe your conspiracy theories but no one is buying the garbage

• Like 1