Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

We signed Rivera for 5 years.

Even if we retain O'Connell, there's little probability he'll be HC here.

If he flames out, he'll be out in 2 years, that's obvious.

If he succeeds, he'll be on someone else radar in 2 years and will probably be hired as a HC somewhere else in 2/3 years because we won't be able to prevent him from signing elsewhere, like McVay.

Then you'll reach the situation you had with McVay: firing the HC to replace him with the OC. But you can only do that if Rivera is not successful at HC or he wants to retire for whatever reason. But at 57, I believe he wants to coach for another 10 seasons.

If the gameplan was to get O'Connell as the futur HC in a few years, then hiring Rivera was a really bad choice.

Ideally we want Ko'C to be HC somewhere else in two years because that means he had really developed Haskins

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If KOC doesn't get the OC job, I don't see him staying around in some diminished role. He's apparently well respected as an offensive mind around the league. He'll easily get an offer for OC somewhere else. 

Im not sure he will 'easily' get an OC offer somewhere else. But I do get that he has a decent reputation.

i guess we've brought in Rivera as HC on a 5 year deal. You have to factor in what O''Connells aspirations are longer term as well. 

At leaset Rivera is interviewing him, so we can reflect on any decision outcome with a balanced view, as opposed to KOC Just being handed a role on a plate.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

We signed Rivera for 5 years.

Even if we retain O'Connell, there's little probability he'll be HC here.

If he flames out, he'll be out in 2 years, that's obvious.

If he succeeds, he'll be on someone else radar in 2 years and will probably be hired as a HC somewhere else in 2/3 years because we won't be able to prevent him from signing elsewhere, like McVay.

Then you'll reach the situation you had with McVay: firing the HC to replace him with the OC. But you can only do that if Rivera is not successful at HC or he wants to retire for whatever reason. But at 57, I believe he wants to coach for another 10 seasons.

If the gameplan was to get O'Connell as the futur HC in a few years, then hiring Rivera was a really bad choice.

I’m just saying, let him succeed here as an OC here first.  Better to have him succeed as OC here and then eventually leave for a HC job than to get let go now and have him succeed somewhere else.  Of course this is all speculation lol

I want whoever Ron wants as OC. If that's KOC then great. And i do not care what he might do in a few years. If Ron thinks he is the best person to develop Haskins and create an offense that works to Haskins strengths, that is all that matters. If he thinks that is someone else, then that's great too. it's his ship. He will sink or float on his decisions. 

I do like that he is interviewing KOC. Shows an open minded approach to building his staff. And we will know whatever decision is made, it's made with all the information available, not just because Dan wants him to stay or Ron is the new guy and is firing everyone. 

But I also think this is Ron's biggest decision. If you look at his time in Carolina, he never did really build a solid offense around Cam outside a season or maybe 2. Now some of that was certainly the GM. But Ron owns a big part of it never really having an offensive identity. Yes, Cam was known for running but they seemed to waffle between Ok let's let him run to let's make him a pocket passer. Living in Carolina during almost his entire time there, it always felt like he was confused on offense. He had this immense talent but just was not sure how to get the best out of him.

Doesn't mean people can't learn from mistakes. I fully expect he sees this better than me and is intent on doing a better job. To me that starts with who he hires as OC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just hope we are smart enough to put someone with potential behind KOC to learn and hopefully become the next man up when hes gone. In this day and age, you need a next man up in your coaching staff because if you are successful people are willing to make you the HC of their ****ty franchise as soon as you give them the chance. And when that happens, if you are not prepared for it and the HC isnt calling the plays, you are throwing basically a brand new offense out in a year and thats not a smart way to do business. 

• Like 2

I want someone I can call the Commandant. I'm also fine with someone I can call "The Admiral" but I have reservations there because David Robinson is/was The Admiral. Maybe I can abbreviate with TA2, though. I hope Ron hires someone specific to my needs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I want someone I can call the Commandant. I'm also fine with someone I can call "The Admiral" but I have reservations there because David Robinson is/was The Admiral. Maybe I can abbreviate with TA2, though. I hope Ron hires someone specific to my needs.

I dunno, KDawg.... A Riverboat Admiral? Seems sketchy to me.

• Haha 1

Just now, Burgold said:

I dunno, KDawg.... A Riverboat Admiral? Seems sketchy to me.

We have a Riverboat and a Captain. KOC is the Commandant. The Oceanic Three, as I call them. Please.

Let's get on the same page here and not ridiculously fight my will here.

This is the way.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We have a Riverboat and a Captain. KOC is the Commandant. The Oceanic Three, as I call them. Please.

Let's get on the same page here and not ridiculously fight my will here.

This is the way.

Aye. Aye.

My timbers have been shivered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Burgold said:

Aye. Aye.

My timbers have been shivered.

Thank you.

Keep in mind I'll settle for someone I can refer to as the Rear Admiral. There's too much potential in that nickname. I was saving that for using in on Rob or Rex Ryan should they have gotten the gig. It would have stopped me from shedding many tears of sadness and instead turned them to tears of laughter.

16 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is a unique situation where the perception is Dan is involved with the players and they can go around the coach to get what they want. RG3 being the best example with Shanahan. Retaining KOC keeps that perception alive in my opinion. The dude is not that special even if he is it’s not worth undermining a great new start. Hit the complete reset and let’s all be happy. But if you let Callahan walk as o line coach and retain KOC after Haskins demanded it, something will smell fishy...

Under that thought you should just get rid of Haskins too.  Then there is no perception problem!  Let Rivera keep who he wants!  

• Like 1

Just to put it out there, this is the first thread I've ever started in here successfully.

I started one when I first signed up and it got jumped on by the mods so I've always avoided starting anymore.

Who would have thought a thread about a sticky KOC would be the first one I made that doesn't get locked? 👼

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UKskins said:

Just to put it out there, this is the first thread I've ever started in here successfully.

I started one when I first signed up and it got jumped on by the mods so I've always avoided starting anymore.

Who would have thought a thread about a sticky KOC would be the first one I made that doesn't get locked? 👼

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

This thread should also make mention of other OC options, incase it's not KoC.

You couldn’t let him be self-satisfied for even a minute?  Geez KB...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

This thread should also make mention of other OC options, incase it's not KoC.

Dan will let Ron pick any OC of Ron’s choosing as long as it’s KOC. He has to appease Haskins otherwise Dan’s one on one meetings with Dwayne would be awkward... 

The whole “interview” process seems like a sham as well. Ron is going to hand him the job because that what ownership wants him to do. I honestly think that’s how this whole thing went down. Hopefully it works out and it’s a moot point but if it’s not it will come out in a couple years and we will be shocked that more of the same continued from before day 1...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dan will let Ron pick any OC of Ron’s choosing as long as it’s KOC. He has to appease Haskins otherwise Dan’s one on one meetings with Dwayne would be awkward... 

The whole “interview” process seems like a sham as well. Ron is going to hand him the job because that what ownership wants him to do. I honestly think that’s how this whole thing went down. Hopefully it works out and it’s a moot point but if it’s not it will come out in a couple years and we will be shocked that more of the same continued from before day 1...

You should go old school and write all your responses on toilet paper so they'd be more useful.

• Haha 7

Just now, lovemaskins said:

Are we keeping Callahan as offensive line coach? I think that to be a smart move.  Might entice the big fella's return.

I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Bottom line. 

The majority have finally got what we've been crying out for what seems like forever. 

Now, let him do his job. 

Hail. 

Doesn't that kinda go without saying? We already know that's what is happening.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

You should go old school and write all your responses on toilet paper so they'd be more useful.

You want to ignore the most plausible explanation on why a proven defensive minded head coach In a brand new job would hand his offense over to guy who has been an OC for a single year under two offensive minded head coaches and produced the second worst record in the NFL. If KOC is retained he was in all likelihood forced on Ron by Dan. Simple as that...

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

You want to ignore the most plausible explanation on why a proven defensive minded head coach In a brand new job would hand his offense over to guy who has been an OC for a single year under two offensive minded head coaches and produced the second worst record in the NFL. If KOC is retained he was in all likelihood forced on Ron by Dan. Simple as that...

Stop making up pretend senerios just so you can be cranky. Save it for politics in the tailgate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1