Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

17 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I was a little surprised that Ron didn't give Haskins a vote of confidence when given the chance (at least thats how I took it).  Sounded to me like he plans to play the best player period.  I like the approach but I also wonder how that works with Dwayne's development.  Id be surprised if Alex is the starter next year but I see him as the only competition as I think based on the second half of 2019 Haskins > Keenum.

If he did, fans and the media would speculate that Dan made him say it lol...and that Haskins is being shoved down Rivera's throat.

I love just about everything about what's transpired this week.  But what I don't love, can sink whatever good feelings we all have. 

I love that Dan finally identified how cancerous Bruce was and started working early on the exit strategy and where he was going next.  I really like Ron Rivera and believe his intimidation factor bodes well for handling Snyder in the future.  I really like Ron Rivera bringing on Del Rio.  I really like seeing Dan cut ties with folks who have been here well past their welcome.

What I don't love is this 'it's all about the coach', 'one voice', yadda yadda.  Time and time again, coaches have been given all the power and failed mightily.  With all the power, comes a ton on their plate, making it difficult to just be a great football coach.  Coaches are also loyal and short-sighted to a fault, and who can blame them?  

So while I like most of the actions and the characters involved, I don't have the warm and fuzzies about the structure of it all.  It doesn't seem like a stretch to me to think 3 years from now, fans could be piling on Ron for coming up short and how everything is all his fault, because he had all the 'power'.  When in actuality, it won't be his fault.  Nobody turns down power, you have to look at the person distributing the power.

I guess when you've been kicked around as much as Redskins fans have, all we have left at this point is hope.  Although I hate to quote UnWise Mike he said it rather well several years ago, referencing Redskins fans.  "Year after year they ply the most loyal, gullible fans in America with a sweet, cheap wine called Hope."

I know you hope Snyder is changing but I'll be damned if I see one iota of that.  I'm afraid that is what you want to be rather than what is.

44 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

So what should he have said? 'Thanks for the job Dan Snyder you moron.   You're lucky I decided to come here, now go make me a sandwich.'  

Don’t say anything. Thank him for the job. We don’t need to hear how he is all about winning, and how much they brainstormed, and his house etc. 

3 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

I guess when you've been kicked around as much as Redskins fans have, all we have left at this point is hope.  Although I hate to quote UnWise Mike he said it rather well several years ago, referencing Redskins fans.  "Year after year they ply the most loyal, gullible fans in America with a sweet, cheap wine called Hope."

I know you hope Snyder is changing but I'll be damned if I see one iota of that.  I'm afraid that is what you want to be rather than what is.

Call it gullible.  Call it Naive.  Call it ignorant.  Call it a homer. 

My favorite team changed something that wasn't working and is trying something different... or so it seems.  I hope it works, and i'm rooting for it to work.  

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Hey, getting rid of Allen and acquiring Rivera is a kind of Thanksgiving. Isn't it something we're all thankful for?

I cringed at Dan’s slip there but after a few minutes I thought it is kinda like Thanksgiving Today!

51 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I was a little surprised that Ron didn't give Haskins a vote of confidence when given the chance (at least thats how I took it).  Sounded to me like he plans to play the best player period.  I like the approach but I also wonder how that works with Dwayne's development.  Id be surprised if Alex is the starter next year but I see him as the only competition as I think based on the second half of 2019 Haskins > Keenum.

He elaborated more about Haskins on Team 980 interview and said they scouted him and had a first round grade on him, thought he'd have a successful NFL career.

1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

He probably won't speak for at least another 10 years after that gaff.  He hates to be mocked and made fun of by all accounts.

No one likes that.  But I think his hate of mockery is over blown.

Dan has shown the ability to self evaluate. 

He's not to maniacal.

2 minutes ago, redrobert said:

I cringed at Dan’s slip there but after a few minutes I thought it is kinda like Thanksgiving Today!

Apparently it was a poorly delivered joke because we beat Carolina the weekend after Thanksgiving so he slid that in there to say "lucky us." 

Nobody picked up on it. 

1 minute ago, redrobert said:

I worked in radio for ten years. It's not hard to get a tumble-tongued moment. He probably had meant to say that he was thankful to have a day like this or something like that... or maybe he wanted to say that today felt like Thanksgiving to him.

In any case, Dan deserves a little light mockery, to be laughed at for this, and then for it to be forgotten. It's a silly, funny blooper. :shrug:

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

Apparently it was a poorly delivered joke because we beat Carolina the weekend after Thanksgiving so he slid that in there to say "lucky us." 

Nobody picked up on it. 

Ahhh, humor! I’ve heard of that! Good catch there!

4 minutes ago, dc1 said:

No one likes that.  But I think his hate of mockery is over blown.

Dan has show the ability to self evaluate. 

He's not maniacal.

It could be.  It's hard to know because he's so private.  However given his pettiness and general nastiness, it wouldn't surprise me.  Seems like it's would fit his temperament, but I'm only speculating.

Archived