Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

First, I don;t think anyone is putting us in the paloffs just yet.

Paloffs is not now?  ☹️

33 minutes ago, dyst said:

That dressing room looks fugly.

Dude that entire facility looks like a ****ing dive bar. You'd think it was owned by some mom and pop owners who were barely getting by. It's ****ing pathetic. Especially for a team that's worth $3.4 billion. If I were Ron I'd be like "This **** is gone. As in, tomorrow". Teams that are worth WAY less than the Redskins have WAY better facilities.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So you've read and heard every single comment and opinion about the changes that have been made?  And have not read or heard any premature musings that Snyder has all the sudden turned the corner as an owner, and believe the light bulb has finally turned on for him?  That sir is either a lie or you've been selectively reading and listening over the past few days.

Please show me where I said it's not okay to be hopeful. 

Since when are you this beacon of positivity that neglects to mention just how attrocious Dan has been for the last 20 years?  I recall dozens of posts by you going on and on about just how much you hate guy as a human being and won't spend a red cent on antyhing Redskins because of it.  So please, get off your high horse before picking a fight with me on that BS.

The point of my post was that I too am hopeful and actually looking forward to Redskins football again.  I find Ron and Del Rio as easy leaders to cheer for.  BUT... we've been on this ride before with Dan.  It just seems some folks are drunk on hope right now, and saying things they don't really mean when it comes to Dan.

No one is pickling a fight. That's on you if there is one. But not from my end. And yes, I hate the ****er. I can't stand Dan Snyder. That has not changed. But I do see some signs of a different approach. And yes, I have read every single post - it's been one of the more entertaining threads as with a few others. And while I have seen more signs of positivity (is that a word? Well it is now..)  and hope that maybe just maybe Dan has turned a corner as owner, no one is putting us in the SB next year or anything stupid like that. People are just hopeful that this time he got it right. So what if people are over the moon with hope. It's just hope.

If someone was saying that it's a fact that Dan has changed then you would have a point and I would be right there with you. But to be hopeful and anticipating seeing if he has changed? To like what you have seen since the season was officially over? I see nothing wrong with that. WHyt not enjoy the ride till it dumps you off? 

And I am still not spending a dime on this team until I see tangible results that show he has changed the culture and he himself has changed as an owner. I can be more hopful and those other things still be true. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

2. Dan talked about changing culture - this is a huge epiphany if it's real. We have heard nothing about culture except from Bruce who said it was great. Then Dan, in his first appearance after firing Bruce says the exact opposite and commits to making it a focus of change. 

My skepticism with this is rooted in the fact that Dan took ZERO responsibility for that culture. By taking a shot at Bruce like that (which I was happy about) but not including himself as one of the huge REASONS behind that crappy culture, it made it seem as if he was absolving himself from any responsibility. I wanted that goon to apologize to me. Personally. That would've made me ten times more excited and optimistic. I'm definitely in the "hopeful" camp, but nothing from Snyder (or Rivera) convinced me that everything has really changed. Only WINS will do that. I remember being so hyped up when Shanny came in and gave some great speech about how every single person is responsible for success, on down to the sanitation staff. Sounded great, "let's do all the little things right", etc., etc. Look how that turned out. Granted, there's no Bruce around this time to **** it up, but still ... I'm hopeful, I like Ron Burgundy, we're better off than we were, but ... I just need to see some ****ing results to go along with all these great sound bites. 

Dans responsibility is to stick around and see it fixed.  He is trying to do it right.  Don’t let your emotions run an opportunity to show love to our little owner perhaps growing up before our eyes.  Danny ain’t goin nowhere....we should embrace that and root for any success.  

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

My skepticism with this is rooted in the fact that Dan took ZERO responsibility for that culture. By taking a shot at Bruce like that (which I was happy about) but not including himself in the REASONS behind that crappy culture, it made it seem as if he was absolving himself from any responsibility. I wanted that goon to apologize to me. Personally. That would've made me ten times more excited and optimistic. I'm definitely in the "hopeful" camp, but nothing from Snyder (or Rivera) convinced me that everything has really changed. Only WINS will do that. I remember being so hyped up when Shanny came in and gave some great speech about how every single person is responsible for success, on down to the sanitation staff. Sounded great, "let's do all the little things right", etc., etc. Look how that turned out. Granted, there's no Bruce around this time to **** it up, but still ... I'm hopeful, I like Ron Burgundy, we're better off than we were, but ... I just need to see some ****ing results to go along with all these great sound bites. 

But did he take a shot at Bruce? I saw the press conference and I did not see him reference Bruce at all. In fact what he said was that after he did some research (yes clearly 20 ****ing years too late!) he said there needed to be a culture change and the best organization was a coach led organization not an owner led or GM or President led organization. So I took that as about as close to taking ownership as he likely to get. 

There is also the Ron quotient. I have to admit I was not keen on the guy when this process started. In fairness I had not dug into who he was as a person well enough. He appears from all sides to be a real stand-up guy. And if he is willing to take a shot here then I am with him until he proves he does nto deserve it. 

I we put aside our distrust of Dan - and it's a fair distrust I get it - and look at the actual changes being made, they at least on paper make the Redskins a better team. Will that translate to wins? We will not know until games are played. So I also want to see wins - or at least a team that gives a ****. I liked Jay but I think he relied too much on team leadership to get guys motivated and hold them accountable when he should have been doing that. I get Ron will be the man in the room. It's his way or you are gone. But also makes players feel like he cares about them as men. That's what you hear from may ex-players of his. That is just something we have not heard in a long time. 

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

Dans responsibility is to stick around and see it fixed.  He is trying to do it right.  Don’t let your emotions run an opportunity to show love to our little owner perhaps growing up before our eyes.  Danny ain’t goin nowhere....we should embrace that and root for any success.  

That’s kind of my point. This isn’t a new ride with Dan.  He’s done this before.  

That’s not an emotional response.  It’s just you don’t wipe away a 20 year tenure of ineptitude with a few moves that appear to be solid.  

If this works out, it will certainly be more of a credit to Ron than it will Dan.

And I honestly don’t care, I’ve accepted that Dan is going to be here.  To enjoy winning, means I’ll have to share it with Dan.  But that doesn’t mean I’m naive enough to believe that he’s evolved as an owner as of today.

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Paloffs is not now?  ☹️

Dude that entire facility looks like a ****ing dive bar. You'd think it was owned by some mom and pop owners who were barely getting by. It's ****ing pathetic. Especially for a team that's worth $3.4 billion. If I were Ron I'd be like "This **** is gone. As in, tomorrow". Teams that are worth WAY less than the Redskins have WAY better facilities.

It's got that billionaire with no style type of look.

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

But did he take a shot at Bruce? I saw the press conference and I did not see him reference Bruce at all.

Thanking Callahan and then immediately saying "We need a culture change" after Bruce's "Damn Good Culture" was a SAVAGE shot at Bruce. Just extremely nuanced.

For the record, I loved it.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Thanking Callahan and then immediately saying "We need a culture change" after Bruce's "Damn Good Culture" was a SAVAGE shot at Bruce. Just extremely nuanced.

I didn't see it that way but i can see how it could be viewed like that. And yes any shot at Bruce was fair and well warranted. But I do think he had at least some mea-culpa when he added not an owner-led culture.  

Fair enough it could all be smoke and mirrors. Dan is still Dan. But this just feels different to me. And on paper I do not think anyone can say we are not a better team already with Jay and Greg being replaced by Dan and Jack, along with a few other departures. 

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, you're not alone in believing that was a shot at Bruce.  Galdi was and maybe still is on the air talking about it right now.  Sheehan said the same.  I'm sure he was coached to make mention of that, considering how much heat he took as a result of the statement.  

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Because back in 2010 the price for an ounce of Sterling Silver spiked to over 50 dollars per ounce.

Those trophies weigh 7 pounds each! All pure silver. The Redskins had 3 of them.

*Bruce had them melted down and got himself a nice stash of Coors Light.

*Just a rumor I heard

That would explain a lot of his other decisions lol...

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Even if it wasn't a direct reference to Bruce saying we had a "damn good culture" (I think it kinda was FTR) it was still a shot at him because he was the de facto head who was in charge of the entire team "culture". 

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He also said that we need to reevaluate culture in the press release on Bruce's departure. 

Clear low blow. Great. 

23 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I didn't see it that way but i can see how it could be viewed like that. And yes any shot at Bruce was fair and well warranted. But I do think he had at least some mea-culpa when he added not an owner-led culture.  

Fair enough it could all be smoke and mirrors. Dan is still Dan. But this just feels different to me. And on paper I do not think anyone can say we are not a better team already with Jay and Greg being replaced by Dan and Jack, along with a few other departures. 

I am somewhat alone in that I think Dan is completely aware of everything going on, the narrative of his team, him, Bruce, etc.  He just chooses to interpret the causes in an arrogant and un-self-aware way.

I think he absolutely knew what he was doing, was extremely intentional in the way he went about it, and did it in a way that really left no doubt about what he was doing.

I could be wrong, but the second I heard it, I thought immediately he was taking a shot at Bruce.

The only think I really wish we had heard from Dan was some type of an acknowledgement that he was responsible in some way as well.  

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am somewhat alone in that I think Dan is completely aware of everything going on, the narrative of his team, him, Bruce, etc.  He just chooses to interpret the causes in an arrogant and un-self-aware way.

I think he absolutely knew what he was doing, was extremely intentional in the way he went about it, and did it in a way that really left no doubt about what he was doing.

I could be wrong, but the second I heard it, I thought immediately he was taking a shot at Bruce.

The only think I really wish we had heard from Dan was some type of an acknowledgement that he was responsible in some way as well.  

I generally agree with all this although I didn't think shot at the time - but I do think that him saying the team would not be an owner led structure was about as close as you are going to get to a mea-culpa. If you see the nuance in his shot at Bruce you have to believe this was his nuanced way of accepting at least some ownership of the poor culture. 

I will say I also saw a man I thought looked beaten down to a certain point. I believe much of his research was not promoted by self reflection but more due to people like the minority owners making him change how he does things. They cannot be happy about he has been caring for their inventiveness. It will be interesting to see if this sticks or at the first sign of trouble he bails. 

I not sure how much I like the Rivera and del Rio hires but I don't dislike them. 

I really think Rivera saw all the good players on defense and the poor coaching... he knows he can turn around the defensive side of the ball. 

It's not terrible not having a GM at the moment but we will eventually need someone to ensure that Rivera doesn't mortgage the future for temporary success that will benefit him instead of a longterm team benefit. (See Texans)

I expect big changes to our defense right away. The offense will go as far as mclaurin can carry us. Hopefully haskins will progress and it wold be nice if we could find some offensive lineman solutions and some help at running back. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So he just figured out what was going on this season? 

9 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

So he just figured out what was going on this season? 

So, I'm in the Dan Snyder minority.  I think he always knows what's going on, he just doesn't know what to do about it. 

Also, the biggest criticism of him as an owner for the first 10 years was impatience.  He fired Norv.  He fired Marty.  He fired Spurrier (he didn't, but the narrative is that he did.) He fired Zorn.  Including interim coaches, in the first 10 years of his ownership he had Norv, Robisky, Marty, SPurrier, Gibbs and Zorn.  That's 6 in 10 years.  And he was absolutely crucified for being impatient. 

So in the last 10 years, he has been a lot more patient.  Until this year, he had 1 GM and 2 HCs. 

He wants to show that he is not being impatient, and he's not repeating the sins of the past, but he swung too far the other way.  Jay and Bruce needed firing after 2016.  Definitely Jay.  But he hung onto the "we're close" mantra, didn't want to rock the boat, and didn't want to fire folks unless the bottom fell off. 

He would have gotten killed by the national media idiots who still think Jay is a good HC if he had fired Jay after a 7-9 injury riddled season.  

He hired Bruce to run things, and for the most part, he let Bruce run things.  Trying to just be the opposite of the past.

Really, at 0-5, firing or not firing Jay was immaterial.  And it really came off much more of a Bruce decision than a Dan decision, since Dan didn't say a word about it, and Bruce took the presser.  And I'm willing to bet that Bruce convinced Dan that Bill could get on a run.  I'm sure Dan was skeptical, but there was no reason not to give it a try at that point.  

When the bottom fell out, he made changes.  

He's been a complete disaster of an owner.  But that doesn't mean he doesn't know what's going on.  Knowing and being able to react to it are very different.  

4 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

Oh I'm hoping we quick sucking too.  It's just that Snyder has shown me NO reason whatsoever to think that his ownership style will lead to winning. 

Please see my sig for the horrible truth. 

I know... i was more blowing a blanket statement out there.  Just happened to quote you. 

There is every reason to be skeptical that Dan is still Dan... but there are a lot of people, myself included, that are willing to look past that because at the end of the day, we root for the team to win.  We have this blind level of hope because thats all we have left.  I speak for myself here, but i enjoy watching my team on gameday.  I get excited to be entertained and the joy that comes with wins.  I refuse to just write off that no matter what happens (not saying you specifically feel this) the team is doomed because of one reason or a other.  I dont think Dan has changed, but you better believe im gonna hope.  Im gonna find reasons to believe he has, because if i give up hope... its not fun for me anymore. 

Ive given a lot of years to this team, and im not gonna nust accept a lifetime of failure.  The Caps couldnt win in the playoffs til they did.  The Nats couldnt win in the playoffs.... til they did.  The Cubs.. Red Sox... 

Change can happen.. once it cant anymore... why hold on?

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I generally agree with all this although I didn't think shot at the time - but I do think that him saying the team would not be an owner led structure was about as close as you are going to get to a mea-culpa.

He's pretended that it's not an owner led culture since the day he fired Vinny and yesterday he didn't have anything to say about the past decade other than the culture needs to change, just 2-3 days after he fired Bumbling Bruce.

Convenient.

He wants everyone to believe that his buddy was the problem for an entire decade now as if he was just sitting there being patient the whole time.

Hilarious!

So the ping pong table and shuffle board have been removed. Lol. 

As a Marine, this is what it says to me. Rivera understands what phase he's in with these young pups. Gruden came in the building treating these players like they were in 3rd phase and tried to pull some hard **** later. Bull****. 

In order to weed out the bums, you'll need to have a phase of breakdown (don't give them ****). Let these pups know what the expectation is and hold them accountable to the enth degree. The weak ones will leave (even some veterans who think they're grown). Once you get your guys, you'll see the failures, the effort and the successes create the true camaraderie you can't take away - family. Over time you let off the gas a little and allow this new family to fight for one another. Maybe you bring the ping pong table and what not back. Maybe you don't need it.

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

He's pretended that it's not an owner led culture since the day he fired Vinny and yesterday he didn't have anything to say about the past decade other than the culture needs to change, just 2-3 days after he fired Bumbling Bruce.

Convenient.

He wants everyone to believe that his buddy was the problem for an entire decade now as if he was just sitting there being patient the whole time.

Hilarious!

Look I hate danny boy as much as anyone but what you state here is just not true. He has made nothing clear as he barely talks to the media. What you state above is what people have prognosticated. And much of it is what people want to believe. 

People will of course try to read what they want into the statement. I am looking at what he actually said. Is he as liar? Probably. We will seed for sure. If he lets Ron do what he needs to do, then he will have turned a corner as an owner. If he bails at the first hint of it not going perfect, then we know it's Dan being Dan.

I am rooting for the first as it makes for a better team sooner.  

Archived